Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Feeling nervous about vaccine

(71 Posts)
25Avalon Fri 12-Feb-21 11:55:41

Dh and I are due our vaccines for coronavirus this afternoon. Definitely want it done, and will be at local GP surgery set up for that purpose. I am feeling nervous - stupid isn’t it?!

Alegrias1 Fri 12-Feb-21 15:55:31

How did it go 25Avalon?

Erica23 Fri 12-Feb-21 16:15:19

Oh so pleased someone else feeling nervous, thought it was just me. I had mine at lunchtime today, it was so easy, the worst part was waiting outside in the cold ?. Now I’m waiting for the side effects to start, I’m such a wuss !

BlueSky Fri 12-Feb-21 16:15:33

We had to wait 15 mins if driving or 5 if not, this is regardless of which vaccine, as some people faint.

AGAA4 Fri 12-Feb-21 16:29:37

I was a bit nervous but it was all over so quickly. I had barely removed my coat when the needle went in. Didn't feel it. I was tired the day after but nothing worse than that.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 12-Feb-21 16:33:43

By now 25Avalon you and your DH will probably have had your jabs and realised there is nothing to be worried about. The people who should be worried are those who just refuse to have them!

JenniferEccles Fri 12-Feb-21 16:37:53

My over-riding feeling was that of excitement, relief and most of all, gratitude to all the wonderful clever scientists who have worked flat out to produce these vaccines for us all in the shortest possible time.

The pharmacist who did mine said so many people cried with relief- some of whom told her they had barely left the house for the best part of a year, and saw the vaccine as the way to freedom.

She said some people’s stories brought a tear to her eyes.

LullyDully Fri 12-Feb-21 16:40:23

Just think, it has been a long, nerve wracking year and the vaccine is the way out. I was very anxious awaiting the call. Then so excited when it came. I wasn't nervous but was surprised that I felt weepy when I got there, I could have sobbed. It was all so focused and positive with so many people working towards it being a success. Wonderful.

My friend had Whiter Shade of Pale followed by the Hallelujah Chorus played on the organ at Salisbury cathedral. That would have been good.

Jaffacake2 Fri 12-Feb-21 16:45:19

I am so very nervous and am debating whether to have the vaccine. I have had numerous anaphylactic shocks to different drugs and foods over the past decade and been in ICU due to them. I have been told the Oxford is best for me and to notify the doctor of my history. So scared.

V3ra Fri 12-Feb-21 16:52:44

Jaffacake2 your worries are perfectly understandable and reasonable given your medical history.
Have you talked about this with your GP? What do they advise you do?
You'd definitely need to tell the medical staff at the vaccination centre when you book your appointment and when you arrive.

Marydoll Fri 12-Feb-21 17:12:24

I would hope you would have discussed this with your GP or consultant in advance. I was in a similar position, albeit not quite having as severe reactions as you had, but they did result in hospital stays. I contacted my rheumatologist, who told me the risk of dying from Covid was greater and advised me to have the vaccine. If you have your EpiPen with you and you are vaccinated by a doctor, who is aware of your medical history, would you not consider it? It is your choice of course.

25Avalon Fri 12-Feb-21 17:31:49

I’m back. Thanks everyone. Colleywobbles gone. It was very well organised, we didn’t have to wait long and were socially distanced and both of us went into the doctor’s office together. Hardly hurt. It was the Astra Zeneca. We were told to wait 15 minutes before driving home. And we can have a glass of wine with our dinner. Dog was fine - dd taken her off for her jab now so all 3 of us have been done!

paddyanne Fri 12-Feb-21 17:34:20

Wehad the pfizer one yesterday ,in the same community centre where we had our flu jags.My OH's appointment was 10 minutes before mine but the nice man on the door told me to go through to the waiting area where I was surprised to see all the over 60's in my street .Over 20 of us.
Socially distanced of course .taken through in 4's and sent to the station for our own practice then we all had socially distanced seats for 15 minutes and a chance to catch up on each others news..Well done to the team who were lovely ,friendly and efficient .The post code thing is a great idea

Franbern Sat 13-Feb-21 09:15:48

Am I alone in feeling that until I have received the second jab, I am only really half done???
Whereas it is wonderful that something like thirteen million people have now had their first jab, to report that so many have been vaccinated is not really good reporting.
I am still a little concerned as to how the second jabs which will need to start taking place very soon (even on the 10-12 week between doses, works out. Probably will mean that the number of those people who have not yet had their first jab being able to get that will just ramp up.
Do not think it will matter whether people are given a date for second jab or wait to be contacted - during April and May most of that thirteen million are going to need to attend again.
I do have friends in London-well into their eighties who have already received both doses, but most of us are waiting.
Anyone here had full vaccination (ie both doses)??

Marydoll Sat 13-Feb-21 09:18:53

Franbern, I'm with you. I will continue to shield, apart from essential medical appointments, until I receive the second dose. It would be madness to do otherwise.

PamelaJ1 Sat 13-Feb-21 09:20:57

Franburn no you aren’t the only one, everyone I’ve spoken to understands they aren’t in the clear yet.

Alegrias1 Sat 13-Feb-21 09:24:06

I think the idea of being half done is too pessimistic. Certainly only half the course has been given but most of the data so far is showing that the first dose gives more than half the effect that 2 doses will give, and that the second dose is helpful for longevity.

The rate of people vaccinated is almost certain to slow down as people have to get their second dose but we now have the infrastructure to do half a million doses a day. Supplies are forecast to dip a bit over the next couple of weeks but then we should start to see supplies rise again, especially if we get supplies of Moderna and if J&J is approved.

So I think things will slow down, but in the meantime 15million people have good protection.

lemsip Sun 14-Feb-21 01:27:20

had the pfizer on 19 jan. no side effects at all. am still following safety precautions of course, even after the second in few weeks time. will always where a mask when in shops and keep distance from others from now onwards.

Erica23 Sun 14-Feb-21 05:18:23

Had my vaccine on Friday, not bothered about the jab which was fine. I was more worried about the side effects. I must have known because I felt very ill yesterday, started with a headache 4 hours after receiving the jab, got progressively worse through the night not much sleep,then felt dizzy and sick all day. By about 5pm, thought I must be through the worst when the shivering, high temp and diarrhoea started. Don’t think my body likes this vaccine. Dreading the next dose !

H1954 Sun 14-Feb-21 08:44:23

Erica23

Had my vaccine on Friday, not bothered about the jab which was fine. I was more worried about the side effects. I must have known because I felt very ill yesterday, started with a headache 4 hours after receiving the jab, got progressively worse through the night not much sleep,then felt dizzy and sick all day. By about 5pm, thought I must be through the worst when the shivering, high temp and diarrhoea started. Don’t think my body likes this vaccine. Dreading the next dose !

When you were assessed and received the vaccine you should have been given an advice leaflet explaining possible side effects. Were the side effects you actually experienced listed? If not, perhaps you should follow this up and try to speak to your GP.
Hope you feel much better now.

Jillyjosie Sun 14-Feb-21 09:22:51

This is where to report adverse or unusual side effects to the vaccines.

coronavirus-yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

From reading, it seems to me that there are lots of anecdotal accounts of reactions to the Astra Zeneca vaccine but not so many to the Pfizer one.

For what it's worth, we had the Astra Zeneca one yesterday. DH who is one of those people who never catches anything is flushed with a sore arm, high temperature and headache this morning. I have a mild immune dysfunction, I've got a headache, prickly throat and am a little hot. I usually catch everything going! I won't feel secure until I've had my second jab.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 14-Feb-21 09:31:20

Like many I was surprised at how emotional I felt when I received mine last Friday! Like many I realise it's not a golden bullet and have to continue to follow rules rigorously.
My area seem to be ahead of themselves as I am group 6 but received the text to book on Thursday. I didnt know which one I was having.
It was the Pfizer one. The venue was extremely efficient temperature taken,lots of questions asked about allergies and any recent vaccinations. The injection itself was quick and painless. After expected wait skipped out of door. ! The only side affect was tenderness to the injection site which disappeared after 24 hours.
Cressida I so sympathise with your concerns. I dont know whether you are officially shielding or high risk and being careful.
I was in a similar position to you and until January had only left the house once or twice.
A lot depends on your local area and circumstances.
In December I got a job which was to good to turn down. On the whole I would be working from home but for the first week I had to go into the office. It's with the civil service so I knew the environment would be as covid safe as could be,and it was.
To access it however I had to go buy bus or taxi. Taxi was the quickest and safer alternative.
As suggested above sit behind driver,mask up. Even open window. Drivers have to wear masks. I also asked for a taxi with a partition and card machine.
I completed 10 taxi trips and have survived-I hadnt even felt safe enough to have my flu jab before that.
Yes,take every precaution. Consult your GP practice, it may be that you need to have the vaccine at home,although this does only seem to be in a limited amount of cases. It could well be your surgery is working with a taxi company they have vetted or can recommend a volunteer driver.
Do whatever makes you feel safe. I take the minimum amount of things I need with me. I used hand gel as soon as got out of taxi. On return home I immediately changed clothes,putting ones I had worn in wash. I had a shower. Items I took with me put somewhere for 3 days.
Whilst out dont touch your face!
The above may sound extreme to some but it's worked for me.! At times I have felt slightly ridiculous. In retrospect I could have gone out more last summer.
I was astounded myself that after such caution I was going out into society at a time when the second wave was at its peak and worse than the first, but I survived it!
I'm a firm advocate of everyone sticking to the rules and I will continue to do so. I do however wonder if the ongoing campaign to educate those who disregard the rules has had a negative affect on those that do. To me it got to the stage I felt I would be struck down with covid if I ventured into a public place.
Yes,consult your GP practice. If they say you need to go to a vaccination centre take all the necessary precautions and do it! You will be fine.

Megs36 Sun 14-Feb-21 09:58:02

I agree Jennifer , we were pleased to ‘get out’ for our vac, my husband has been shielded on and off for nearly a year and we were relieved when we got the call, just a sore arm to show, I guess there will always be people who get bad after effects whatever medication they get and so expect it to happen.
We still Stay in and try to Keep Safe, it’s not a magic bullet.

Marydoll Sun 14-Feb-21 10:05:46

I have reported the side effects, but it took forever, as I had to list my medications, all twenty of them.
I'm happy to do so, if it helps research.

Juliet27 Sun 14-Feb-21 10:06:40

Just an observation - when I’ve had flu and pneumonia jabs the nurse has always told me to press hard on the cotton wool and I’ve developed bruises after (maybe I pressed too hard!!) With this Covid vaccination there wasn’t even a plaster. I guess a lot depends on the way the injection is given?

Gwyneth Sun 14-Feb-21 10:07:08

All you lucky people getting the vaccine wished it was me!!!