Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Feeling nervous about vaccine

(70 Posts)
25Avalon Fri 12-Feb-21 11:55:41

Dh and I are due our vaccines for coronavirus this afternoon. Definitely want it done, and will be at local GP surgery set up for that purpose. I am feeling nervous - stupid isn’t it?!

MiniMoon Fri 12-Feb-21 11:58:56

Just a bit.
DH and I are having ours on Sunday morning, we can't wait! I was thrilled to get my text message, and booked straight away.

MissAdventure Fri 12-Feb-21 12:00:06

It's understandable, I think.
It's such an important part of the quest to gain control of the virus, and there has been so much in the news about it (good and bad)

I was het up about having it, too. (It was fine, of course)

Septimia Fri 12-Feb-21 12:00:56

We had ours done this morning. I was nervous, too.

It was brilliant. Really well organised, staff and volunteers pleasant. Apart from the 15 minute sit-down afterwards, it took less time to go through the process than it did to get to the venue.

Hope yours go as smoothly and you're in the vaccine club by this evening!

fiorentina51 Fri 12-Feb-21 12:03:31

I understand how you feel.
Think of all the millions who have already had it. Some have had minor side effects and others nothing at all.
I had mine on Tuesday and DH had his 2 weeks ago. It was all organised really well and was done in a few minutes.
Go for it! ?

BlueSky Fri 12-Feb-21 12:07:57

Not as nervous as catching a serious bout of Covid!

rockgran Fri 12-Feb-21 12:11:01

We had no problems apart from a slightly achy arm- just think how much more nervous you are of catching the virus!

25Avalon Fri 12-Feb-21 12:11:05

Just being a wooss

Aveline Fri 12-Feb-21 12:16:01

Just the outing was exciting! Everyone was so kind and helpful and there was a lovely atmosphere. Try looking forward to it. The first step in a positive direction.

25Avalon Fri 12-Feb-21 12:35:16

I am also worried about leaving our 12 week puppy in a cage for 2 hours. Hopefully she should be ok. Dh says I’m a worrier. Maybe he is right.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 12-Feb-21 12:38:43

I’m having mine tonight, DH had his last week and apart from a couple of Flu’ish days has been fine, he didn’t have to wait for 15 minutes though, which I was surprised about.
Anyway onwards and upwards.

Stop fretting about the dog, it will be fine and will probably just sleep.

Cressida Fri 12-Feb-21 12:41:32

I haven't booked mine yet because I am worried about having to go by taxi.

I haven't left the house since last March when I had a hospital appointment.

MayBee70 Fri 12-Feb-21 12:44:30

I think I’m going to cry when I have mine on Sunday. And will want to hug all the people working at the vaccination centre enen though I can’t and I’m not a huggy person usually!

ginny Fri 12-Feb-21 12:47:46

Not stupid at all.
Many people are far more anxious about small things at the moment , my self included.
Those that sail through everything with never a worry are lucky.
You will be fine .

Sparklefizz Fri 12-Feb-21 12:53:52

Aveline

Just the outing was exciting! Everyone was so kind and helpful and there was a lovely atmosphere. Try looking forward to it. The first step in a positive direction.

I agree. I really enjoyed the outing, a socially-distanced chat with new people, the terrific happy and grateful atmosphere at the health centre.

My daughter rang me when I got home and said "You sound as if you've been to a party!" I felt like it!

Sparklefizz Fri 12-Feb-21 12:57:08

Cressida I haven't booked mine yet because I am worried about having to go by taxi.

Sit in the back of the taxi, diagonally away from the driver, open the windows and wear a mask .... in fact, if I need to use a taxi in the future, I plan to "double mask" which my friends in the US have been advised to do. Wear a disposable mask with a cloth mask on top. Use plenty of hand sanitiser. You should be ok.

Marydoll Fri 12-Feb-21 13:31:24

Cressida, if you haven't left the house since March and are shielding, could you not ask for a home vaccination?
The risk of catching Covid out weighs the risk of going in a taxi, IMO.

Charleygirl5 Fri 12-Feb-21 13:35:22

Oopsadaisy your DH has had the Atra Zenica vaccine- no need to wait for 15 minutes or so like the Pfizer one.

NotTooOld Fri 12-Feb-21 13:37:44

Cressida - so sorry to hear of your worries but you must get the vaccine. It is so important. Phone for a taxi and do as Sparkelfizz says. You will be fine. flowers

H1954 Fri 12-Feb-21 13:42:09

Charleygirl5

Oopsadaisy your DH has had the Atra Zenica vaccine- no need to wait for 15 minutes or so like the Pfizer one.

Any patient who has had a reaction to ANY vaccine will be advised to wait for 15 minutes regardless of which Covid vaccine they receive. Also, anyone who will be driving will also be advised to wait.

annodomini Fri 12-Feb-21 14:11:15

Any patient who has had a reaction to ANY vaccine will be advised to wait for 15 minutes regardless of which Covid vaccine they receive. Also, anyone who will be driving will also be advised to wait
Our practice made everyone wait for the full 15 minutes after the inoculation, whether or not they'd had a previous reaction. That was after Pfizer one.

hulahoop Fri 12-Feb-21 14:19:55

We were asked to sit and wait after our jabs we had
Astrazenica .Cressida why don't you ring to see if you can have jab at home.

ginny Fri 12-Feb-21 15:09:40

DH had the aZ one this morning. They said as he had walked to the surgery he did not need to wait .

NotSpaghetti Fri 12-Feb-21 15:47:01

Cressida would you consider going with a volunteer driver? I think if you phoned the surgery they may advise.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 12-Feb-21 15:54:10

Charleygirl yes DH had the AZ vaccine, the surgery phoned me last night and my jab is at 6.21 which seems very precise and I’m not to arrive more than 5 minutes before and I’m to walk to the marquee 2 minutes before.
DH will drive me there as I’m hopeless at trying to park in their small spaces and if I only have 3 minutes to do it...........I could well be late!