Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Seems like I'm being left behind!

(111 Posts)
nananet01 Fri 19-Feb-21 12:53:36

Hi there, I'm surprised how I feel after my husband was vaccinated this morning. He is 67 and I am 63, so he has been called in. The letter from the NHS offered a booking online or the alternative, to wait until our gp surgery called him in. He was going to take the 2nd option as we'd hoped to go together. Then on the spur, he went online and booked. I am very happy for him, however I now feel out on a limb and my anxiety has increased because all of our friends have been vaccinated, now my husband has, and not me. I cannot understand why or how I am feeling like I am when I am so grateful he has had his jab. I know it won't be long until it's my turn, but until then I feel set apart from everyone. It's hard to put into words.

Ellianne Fri 19-Feb-21 17:10:16

If that's the case I'm going to roll up with my husband tomorrow.

B9exchange Fri 19-Feb-21 17:20:04

I would keep checking the www.nhs.uk website, and as soon as they let you, but through that, you don't have to wait for a letter.

Greyduster Fri 19-Feb-21 18:11:10

My cousin in Southern Ireland says their roll out is very slow. He and his wife are in their mid seventies like me, and don’t expect to be vaccinated until late March at the earliest. He also thinks their lockdown could continue until September. We are fortunate here I think.

Calendargirl Fri 19-Feb-21 18:21:24

Boz

Just go in with him and ask to be vaccinated at the same time as you live in the same household etc. etc. They will not refuse.

I wouldn’t have thought that would work, if you’ve not got an appointment and aren’t yet eligible because you are younger.

Just wait your turn, it will soon be here.

rubysong Fri 19-Feb-21 18:27:13

DH, 72, had his appointment two weeks ago and asked I could have one. I am 69. They were happy to do it. It wasn't busy as it was towards the end of the session. It has saved us 70miles of driving.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 18:28:18

I had mine Wednesday and the nurse said are you here with anyone who would like the vaccine? I told her Himself had been jabbed last week. The lady further along said ‘my husband is in the car outside’ and the nurse looked really pleased and asked that on her way out she ask him to stand at the door!

Grandma2213 Sat 20-Feb-21 02:46:31

Interesting post. I feel that whatever we are 'told' on the news there are variations between areas, individuals and what is happening on the ground. Urmstongran - for example that gentleman may have been lucky in that there was a surplus that needed to be used rather than wasted. Others are less fortunate. I am sure this happens in many other situations too so I often take news reports with a pinch of salt for this reason. What concerns me most of all is that no matter how far ahead we, as a country are, until the whole world has the same access to vaccination the virus can spread and mutate enough to make the current vaccines ineffective. Sorry to sound negative but that's how viruses work. On the positive side however history is full of these events and the human race has survived. nananet01 - one day this will all be just a bad memory. Anxiety, yours or mine, won't change it. I wish all of you the very best.

rosie1959 Sat 20-Feb-21 03:17:47

Between ages 65 to 70 and 60 to 64 is group 6 which is a very big group so expecting a bit of a wait yet

SueSocks Sat 20-Feb-21 04:20:45

I agree with Boz. Back in Dec my friends husband got a cancellation, she asked if they would do her as well, they agreed, it was the Pfizer vaccination.
My husband had a text on 7th Feb and he booked to go 90 mins later. Given the experience of my friend and the fact that I too am desperate to get the vaccine, I thought I would go along and ask if they would do me as well. What's the worse that could happen - they could say no! They asked my age (63) & if we were at the same GP practice (yes) & agreed to do it. We went to a centre in a massive sports hall, there were no more than 10 "patients" in total, horrible wet sleety evening - maybe that is why they agreed. We had the Astra Zeneca vaccine.
In the past week, this area have been vaccinating the early 60s people, so I didn't gain much in terms of time, just peace of mind. My life hasn't changed yet obviously, still following all the guidelines to the letter but mentally I feel better.
Nananet01, I understand totally how you feel, I hope you get your vaccine soon, if your area is anything like this one, it won't be long now.

Caro57 Sat 20-Feb-21 10:35:16

Maybe you feel that as you are at ‘more’ risk than they are now and that as the vaccine is not 100% you are, potentially, still putting them at risk of contracting Covid. Remember even though some have been vaccinated they should still be behaving as if they haven’t and they are not your responsibility. Your turn will come

inishowen Sat 20-Feb-21 10:40:32

Boz you are not allowed to go in with anyone! There are strict rules about who enters the building.

janthegranx6 Sat 20-Feb-21 10:42:02

When you ring to make the appointment, just ask if you can also be vaccinated. They made me an appointment without any hassle and I went along with my husband, who is 6 years older and in a different age group. Surely it makes sense to have those cohabiting together equally protected. If you don't ask you don't get.

Missingmoominmama Sat 20-Feb-21 10:42:12

Those who have had their second dose, were you invited back automatically, or did you have to book? I was told it was due on April 24th, but I wasn’t given an appointment.

Gramps47 Sat 20-Feb-21 10:44:26

You are able to go on the NHS website and book. They do have a degree of flexibility as to age and needs....

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

Aepgirl Sat 20-Feb-21 10:47:18

You really must just wait your turn, and soon the under-65s will be vaccinated. Just be patient.

TBsNana Sat 20-Feb-21 10:51:03

Nananet01 - I can understand a little. There's 10 years between me and DH and he was vaccinated a couple of weeks ago, and it did feel quite strange. However, taking the vaccine when you're offered it is the only sensible thing (even responsible) thing to do, so good for him.
On the bright side things are moving ever so fast now. When DH was jabbed we worked out on the original programme I might not have had a jab until late April - but I actually had one yesterday - Hooray!!
Also it's important to remember that having had a first jab means nothing more than you're travelling that road - towards some immunity in the coming months DH can't do anything extra as a result of being jabbed so in many ways - so what?
Hope you get your jab really soon!

Annaram1 Sat 20-Feb-21 10:55:49

My son is a doctor and recently they had 455 patients who were being vaccinated. One person did not turn up due to illness so my son rang me and asked if I would like that shot. He came to my house to give it to me . I think the availability
depends on how many people don't turn up when invited. If there is likely to be some left over you may be lucky and get it as they do not want to waste it.

hulahoop Sat 20-Feb-21 10:57:41

My oh had his two weeks before me I didn't think to ask to have it with him I had mine last week so not too long to wait they were very strict about going in alone they have got to have a system hope yours isn't too long .We have both got appointment in April for 2nd jab .

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 20-Feb-21 10:58:59

My DH, 80, had his 30th December, I was quite disappointed I did not have mine at the same time, though younger I am considered extremely vulnerable. Anyway I had mine in January, DH had Pfizer and I had OAZ, we now await our 2nd calling!!

If your appointment is after 4pm there is a better chance your companion will be done, by that time they could have some spare and not want to waste them.

Catlover21 Sat 20-Feb-21 11:01:14

The joy of living in a country with an organised and extremely efficient roll out of the vaccination programme means having to be patient and wait four weeks in a warm comfortable house to have your jab has become stressful. You will be done shortly, chill, relax, have another glass of wine and a slice of cake! ????‍♀️

NanaPlenty Sat 20-Feb-21 11:01:38

Nananet01 I totally get you. My husband is 68 and was called fairly early as they were ahead in our area - I felt a bit envious just because I’m still
Nervous of catching it even though we follow the rules and I can’t wait for it to be my turn. As they’ve now out in another group with underlying conditions etc I guess it may take a bit longer to get to the 60-64 group but let’s just keep our fingers crossed eh. He did ask if I could go with him when he went but the answer was a resounding no!

Twig14 Sat 20-Feb-21 11:02:10

You will have your vaccination shortly just don’t worry. My DH and I have had the vaccination. However my dauggter in early 40s currently staying with us recovering from a surgical operation hasnt had the vaccination. My DH shielding as well. We have district nurses coming in daily to attend to our daughter. It’s a concern but little we can do about it. She has to wait her turn.

polnan Sat 20-Feb-21 11:06:18

of course it is o.k. to feel left out, or whatever,

these are strange times, and our thoughts/minds, whatever you want to call them, are all over the place.

lucky you if there is anyone here who can genuinely deny that!

I had my first,, the Pfiffer one... can`t wait for my second one
call me what you like, it is the humanness in me!

Panda25 Sat 20-Feb-21 11:11:19

Hello nananet I confess that I felt the same when my husband was phoned in regards to his vaccine and I heard nothing, however I was called a few days later to go for mine, but I can relate to your thoughts as I have underlying health problems so I already felt vulnerable. But your vaccination will happen.

Sara1954 Sat 20-Feb-21 11:14:40

My husband and I had ours this week, to be fair much earlier than I was expecting.
We have both worked all the way through, and we have school aged children living with us, but we’ve taken sensible precautions, and I haven’t spent too much time worrying about it, even when I was aware that it was in the school and nursery.
I think you are being a bit silly, we all have to wait our turn.