Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

How is your area getting through the vaccine program after those in age order?

(108 Posts)
JaneJudge Sun 28-Feb-21 22:36:54

Our area appears to be lagging, I have emailed my MP and tweeted but I think even her tweets get carried by pigeons over several hundred miles to her actual home.

My daughter has a severe learning disability, cannot social distance and has other complex health needs. She would be group 6 but with JCVI regulations she is definitely group 4 and I have just about had enough of being fobbed off. Even every single person I have spoken to on 119 has said they have been able to book other people in with similar needs/disabilities.

I just wondered if this was typical? The government made an announcement last week saying people with SLD should have the vaccine with immediate effect, this clearly is not true.

I have checked with the GP, she is eligible but they have no control apparently about who is called and when.

Casdon Tue 09-Mar-21 17:32:57

Did you have the Pfizer vaccination Callistemon? I think they are trying to ensure that people who had the Pfizer vaccine at the larger centres get their second vaccines whilst there are stocks rather than using the Pfizer one on the other groups and then potentially running short - it also keeps the staff there busy rather than standing them down until more Pfizer is available for later groups. There isn’t a delay with the AZ vaccine as it’s made in the UK, so the 12 week delay is probably being adhered to by GPs, who are also vaccinating the vulnerable groups now.

Callistemon Tue 09-Mar-21 17:59:17

Yes, the Pfizer one, Casdon and DH had the Oxford Zeneca. I have to go somewhere different for the second vaccine.

Thanks, I'll tell him, he is wondering why.

Casdon Tue 09-Mar-21 18:41:11

I dug around for some more information, and just found this on the Aneurin Bevan Health Board website, I think this must apply to the whole of Wales if anybody else is wondering.
❗ Timing of second doses (difference of Oxford AstraZeneca & Pfizer)

We are aware that lots of people have questions about the timing of second doses of the Covid-19 vaccine – and the difference between the timings of the Oxford AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines.

The Mass Vaccination Programme has started the rollout of Pfizer second doses and where supply is adequate we are looking to bring the interval forward from 11-12 weeks. We are aiming to administer the Pfizer second doses to all those who received their first vaccine between December 7th and February 21st by the end of March.

For those who received the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine - the dose interval showing the highest efficacy is 12+ weeks and this timescale will be used, unless there are individual clinical reasons to use a shorter interval. The programme will commence the rollout of second dose of AstraZeneca appointments from March 29th.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

overthehill Sat 13-Mar-21 19:08:23

My next door neighbour 48 having hers. No health problems. We live East London

Lucca Sat 13-Mar-21 19:27:49

North Yorkshire, 50-55

Callistemon Sat 13-Mar-21 20:11:28

Thank you Casdon.
When I went for my 2nd vaccine today I asked the nurse about DH and she said more or less the same. DH saw someone today who said he thought our surgery may start next week with 2nd doses of the Oxford Astra-Zeneca vaccine so he is hoping he'll get a call.

muse Sat 13-Mar-21 20:15:07

No idea. Local south west news doesn't go into such detail. Lots of concerns here with covid in care homes (some deaths) despite everyone in them having the vaccine back in January. .

My daughters (51) near Manchester has heard nothing.