Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Have you had to travel for your vaccination?

(138 Posts)
Willow500 Wed 10-Mar-21 07:43:34

Just that really.

We are 67 and received the letter several weeks ago inviting us for the vaccine but if we ignored the letter we would be contacted by the GP. We opted for the latter but nearly 3 weeks later when everyone we know apart from one friend had been done locally and we had heard nothing I rang our surgery to be told 'it would be a while yet'. We felt that we had no option but to travel to the nearest centre which for us is 30 miles away - we are going tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very grateful that we are able to have the vaccine at all and this country is doing an amazing job but can't help wondering how many of the over 65's have had the same experience. Our local paper recently had a list of the groups - the over 65's was the only one which said 'may be asked to visit a centre'. We are lucky we have transport and are able to travel (presumably we are allowed in the lockdown hmm ) but there must be others who are unable to do this and are still waiting.

chazwin Wed 10-Mar-21 16:27:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hellis Wed 10-Mar-21 16:24:40

In my area, they seem to alternate between texts and NHS letters as each cohort is called up.The one's receiving texts are getting appointments in our town but the letters are for the hub about 16 miles away.I got the letter to book online, being 65 and in group 5. That's all very well if you have a car, which I don 't and I didn't feel safe getting the two buses each way , or have the funds for a taxi that far, so thought I would have to wait for the Gp to contact me as per the letter. Fortunately my daughter decided to drive over from hers 10 miles away and take me. So glad she did as friends in the same group are still waiting to hear from the Gp , 3weeks on. I only had to wait 4 days for the appointment and the hub was very well organised, 2nd jab already booked..

Tangle Wed 10-Mar-21 16:06:21

I walked to my GP surgery, 20 minutes in the snow. Very pleased.

GrammarGrandma Wed 10-Mar-21 15:53:12

Had ours at the GP surgery down the road. Could have walked there if it hadn't been pourng!

Jillybird Wed 10-Mar-21 15:52:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mirren Wed 10-Mar-21 15:26:30

It's funny how people view distances, isn't it ?
Here in the NE many have had" the letter " and taken the option to travel to Newcastle for their jab. It's about 12 miles from where I live.
I have been vaccinating, as part of the local GP hub , at a cricket ground in the next town. Thats 13 minutes drive from my own door.
I have vaccinated several folks who are complaining they have had to travel the short journey to the hub.
They want to know why thry couldn't have it " locally "
They soon became quiet when i told them I was making the same journey as them in order to vaccinate except I am doing it regularly and having to leave home at 7.30 am to be ready for the first clients at 8 am

EMMF1948 Wed 10-Mar-21 15:18:26

I booked the nearest, about 10 miles away, I wished I'd booked one firther away, the drive was great, channeling my inner Lewis Hamilton after so long!

Nainijo Wed 10-Mar-21 15:18:24

Willow post, I am 67, and wasn’t expecting my jab until beginning of March, so completely surprised when a post on FB said that a Nightingale Hospital 18 miles away was now doing over 65’s!!! Just phone up and book, needless to say I did, had the appointment for the next day, two weeks before my husband, who is 70 this year, at our GP’s. Travel I say, if you have to.

readalot Wed 10-Mar-21 15:14:08

Me and my husband had to go to a hospital twenty minutes away as our surgery wasn't doing them. I told the receptionist my husband couldn't stand in a queue so she said she would put us down for the second appointment. You are told not to go too early so we went five minutes before our appointment. There were already 8 people in the queue. We couldn't just barge to the front of the queue, luckily we only stood a couple of minutes before getting straight in. My sister went to her doctor's for hers.

sazz1 Wed 10-Mar-21 14:50:03

I had the letter but it was about 35 miles away so didn't book. A week later I had a phone call from GP to go to previous minor injuries unit with a choice of 3 days and times. It's a 2 minute drive or 10 minutes walk from my home.

JaneR185 Wed 10-Mar-21 14:18:49

We are 70 and 76 and live in Medway. Our surgery contacted us and we had our vaccinations within a week of each other and at a clinic six minutes away from where we live. We consider ourselves very fortunate indeed and the staff at our surgery work so very hard and are amazing.

Mal44 Wed 10-Mar-21 14:15:39

We have been very lucky as we had our vaccines at our local surgery 5 weeks ago and our 50yr old daughter has an appointment for 22nd March.The P.M.congratulated our practice in the House.

kathw12 Wed 10-Mar-21 14:01:12

We are 68 and 65 drove approximately 2 miles to the local town hall they have used one of their conference rooms. Had a text from our gp surgery within a week of the announcement for 65-69 yr olds booked online very happily had the jab DH in the morning me in the afternoon. Although I had the Astra zeneca and DH had the pzier due to me having allergic reactions. Was all very professional with a dr discussing which was best for me. Had it on 17th Feb dgs birthday! Then went to his birthday tea as we are in his childcare bubble. Now waiting to be called for the 2nd jab at the start of May.

Petera Wed 10-Mar-21 13:51:50

We got the letter and we rang the GP who said they'd be sending out messages that week. So we waited, and got the GP invitation two days later.

When we went they said they were having trouble getting the numbers locally as so many people had responded to the letter.

I did check where we could have gone and the nearest was an hour's drive away in three weeks' time.

Ellianne Wed 10-Mar-21 13:49:21

The distance travelled there and back was 750 kilometres. Sacré bleu grandmafrench it might have been nearer for you to drive to Dover! If that were allowed of course.

annodomini Wed 10-Mar-21 13:45:50

We have a mega practice, comprising four previously independent practices, covering three local communities. All patients have had vaccinations at our civic centre, just 300 yards down the road from my house. Mine was in the first tranche in mid January, so I have about five weeks to wait for no 2.

icanhandthemback Wed 10-Mar-21 13:41:48

Our GP isn't giving vaccinations onsite so we have to travel to sites which are quite difficult to get to. There has been a huge outcry but we were able to book at a mass vaccination site closer to us.

spabbygirl Wed 10-Mar-21 13:38:46

I had mine 12 miles away as that was the nearest centre & I have underlying health conditions & that was the nearest I could get, my husband is 2 yrs younger with no health conditions was done 4 days before me in our local hospital. I was furious about it and complained to my MP and GP & have been told that now I had my 1st vaccine at that hub I have to stay with them even though my 2nd will be 25th may in a town 12 miles in the opposite direction. Crazy!!

Neilspurgeon0 Wed 10-Mar-21 13:32:31

My DW (shielding) waited and was invited to the local community hospital maybe fifteen minutes drive away. I got the letter, hers came a few days later, rang up and booked BOTH jabs but at the ‘nearest’ centre available which was in the nearest city, about half an hours drive away. The day before I was due to go the GP rang and offered me a more local one but I declined as I felt I was well sort already and changing plans risked falling between two stools especially as she could only offer jab 1. Seems that GPs have been allocated small, local centres, pharmacies etc and the national service had the bigger, more city focussed centres allocated to them. End result, we have both had jab one. I know when jab 2 is but she will have to wait to be called forward for her second one. Very happy to have been given the vaccine but will await her second date before feeling all is completely well run.

cupcake1 Wed 10-Mar-21 13:24:03

I had a letter and had mine at a nearby hub. Later that day after I had the vaccine my doctor’s surgery rang to arrange a date. Obviously I told them I had had it that day. DH had his at the GP’s surgery his nhs letter coming a couple of days later.

Minibookworm Wed 10-Mar-21 13:23:23

I am travelling 65 miles for my first jab.
DH got his letter the day before me. We managed to get his appointments booked locally and he gets his first jab on Saturday.
The following day, when my letter arrived, I couldn’t get my jab locally until the end of this month. The option was there to get it next Tuesday, albeit 65 miles away.
I opted for that one so that at least we would have our jabs at a similar time. I did manage to get a local appointment for my second jab.
At least we get to have a ride out on Tuesday and have a change of scenery.

Grandmafrench Wed 10-Mar-21 13:22:52

I searched and searched for weeks for an appointment for mine without success. Then I located one and an appointment for the second one at a centre and booked it.

I live in France, so this is only posted to make you smile. The distance travelled there and back was 750 kilometres, but we decided to take a picnic and the dogs and make it a day out!
Sometimes determination pays off - or can make you look like a nutter!!

Parsley3 Wed 10-Mar-21 13:11:18

I had a call from my GP practice to come in the next day. Only a mile to travel.

barbiann57 Wed 10-Mar-21 13:08:10

My husband and I got our jabs as soon as the vaccine was available. We were contacted by our G. P Surgery, and an appointment was made at the local senior citizens centre. We are due for our boosters on 1st April. I suppose we have been very lucky.

ReadyMeals Wed 10-Mar-21 13:07:32

We don't have a car, won't use public transport in the pandemic and I couldn't walk as far as our nearest centre (my husband could walk it ok). I was just wondering how I would ever get my jab when out of the blue my GP called and said they were in the area with leftover vaccine if I was in they'd pop over and jab me. A bit of sheer luck!