Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Astrazeneca vaccine suspended..... Not proven to be linked to the jab yet, but investigations are ongoing *title edited by GNHQ*

(364 Posts)
Shinamae Sun 14-Mar-21 10:16:00

Just heard on sky News that the vaccine has been suspended in Ireland due to a report from Norway about blood clotting issues in 4 cases. I have had that vaccine and I’m not at all worried..

Petera Fri 19-Mar-21 09:57:39

Alegrias1

I've reported this thread on the grounds that the headline is misleading. I'm not asking for it to be deleted, but the title suggests that the vaccine has been suspended completely and that is not true. There is good evidence so far that there is no correlation between the vaccine and blood clots.

A similar thread in Mumsnet had the title changed to show the complete situation and I am suggesting this one does too.

Also the "not proven yet". What's wrong with "not proven"? When journalists use 'yet' they use it signal that there's no evidence but if we just try a little harder we'll find it.

You see it all the time in misleading food advertising. "Science has yet to show that eating xxx causes/cures cancer". Or in the case of the Daily Mail - causes one week then cures the next.

Ellianne Fri 19-Mar-21 09:48:04

the more COVID there is in the community the greater the risks of new variants developing that will challenge the efficacy of the vaccine.
That's exactly right M0nica and I think that is why several of us on this thread were getting so exasperated by those other countries delaying their vaccinations.
The UK was blamed for the new Kent mutant virus. Although it might not have started there, it certainly caused havoc there and spread. So why couldn't our "friends" abroad learn from our disaster and quickly protect their own people as much as possible? It's almost like they want to do things entirely their way even when we have now shown we are reducing the extent of COVID in the society and reducing the possibility of another dangerous variant developing that may not be so easy to treat.

M0nica Fri 19-Mar-21 09:02:47

The other danger of the silly political games that have delayed the rollout of the vaccines in so many countries is that the more COVID there is in the community the greater the risks of new variants developing that will challenge the efficacy of the vaccine.

While the UK will always be vulnerable to imported variants, by getting the vaccination programme going so quickly and so fast, we are reducing the extent of COVID in the society and reducing the possibility of another dangerous variant developing that may not be so easy to treat.

The sooner other countries catch up with us in vaccinating their population, the sooner the risk of rogue variants falls.

Ellianne Thu 18-Mar-21 22:22:49

maddyone

Witzend grin

Well I’m very relieved that European countries are going to restart vaccinations. I just hope the public will avail themselves of the vaccines.

Yes, maddyone great relief all round.
Maybe the fact that several of these European countries are going into tighter lockdown from Saturday will be enough to focus the minds of the people to get themselves vaccinated.

BlueSky Thu 18-Mar-21 20:24:43

Witzend grin
But as per Suzie’s link, looks as if there’s going to be additional advice after vaccination. I didn’t really even expected that.

maddyone Thu 18-Mar-21 19:57:00

Witzend grin

Well I’m very relieved that European countries are going to restart vaccinations. I just hope the public will avail themselves of the vaccines.

Witzend Thu 18-Mar-21 19:33:39

Someone sent me this earlier:

BlueSky Thu 18-Mar-21 19:27:20

Thanks GG I see. Carry on with your cooking!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Mar-21 19:06:33

Sorry I haven’t used correct medical terminology, I am cooking.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Mar-21 19:04:30

The MRHA has more reported cases of clotting with Pfizer than Astra Zeneca (just checked on line) however, it is the type of clots and where. AZ have five unusual brain clots in the UK (thirteen I believe in EU)

BlueSky Thu 18-Mar-21 18:54:51

So if I understand this correctly only the AZ had reports of CSVT? That’s why they were investigated and Pfizer wasn’t?

Jaxjacky Thu 18-Mar-21 18:23:41

My apologies suziewoozie
www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56447367

Casdon Thu 18-Mar-21 18:02:36

Suziewoosie I was making an additional point, not challenging you, but since you mention it, it is relevant to the topic that having heard the verdict on the blood clotting issue today some countries have decided that they will start re-vaccinating.

Pantglas2 Thu 18-Mar-21 18:00:41

On a personal level, I’m so pleased that all countries who ‘paused’ will now look to make up lost time.

I have friends in Spain and Greece who are desperate (and indeed despairing at their Governments/EU cockups) for these jabs.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 17:52:40

Casdon

But nonetheless several countries did suspend use pending the outcome today didn’t they - it says on the BBC News that Italy are starting to vaccinate again tomorrow, which is good news as they are in a really serious situation at the moment.

Yes I’m fully aware of that- that is not at all relevant to the points I made. You can’t challenge what I posted by putting forward an irrelevant point.

Casdon Thu 18-Mar-21 17:46:27

But nonetheless several countries did suspend use pending the outcome today didn’t they - it says on the BBC News that Italy are starting to vaccinate again tomorrow, which is good news as they are in a really serious situation at the moment.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 17:07:50

Jaxjacky

Oh what a surprise, the European Medicines Agency have approved AZ now.

It’s not a surprise - they never un-approved it in the first place. Today’s announcement was their statement on the blood clotting issue. It really isn’t on to post something that is so completely wrong you know. It was individual countries that decided to pause it.

Jaxjacky Thu 18-Mar-21 17:00:02

Oh what a surprise, the European Medicines Agency have approved AZ now.

LauraNorder Thu 18-Mar-21 13:06:21

Indeed Alegrias. wink

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 13:06:00

LauraNorder

Alegrias your comment was ‘just making the English nervous was reward enough’,
I consider that an anti English comment and was offended.
Now there’s a bit of a pile on so I’m out.

I don’t understand your comment about a pile on.

Alegrias1 Thu 18-Mar-21 13:03:48

Fair enough.

With all seriousness, I am rarely offended on here. Annoyed, but rarely offended. But if I was a French person who was being told that they had always been the enemies of Britain and that was why this whole vaccine thing was going on, I might be offended then.

I hope we can continue conversations about other topics Laura.

LauraNorder Thu 18-Mar-21 13:00:40

Alegrias your comment was ‘just making the English nervous was reward enough’,
I consider that an anti English comment and was offended.
Now there’s a bit of a pile on so I’m out.

Alegrias1 Thu 18-Mar-21 12:31:14

Laura I actually felt I was quite restrained. A conversation was started about Flodden, I have no idea why but anyone who knows the history of that battle might have some inkling of how Scots who know something about it feel about it. That we lost a whole generation of Scottish nobles and their followers, that the king and 10,000 others were killed. It was a long time ago so I guess that's why people think it might be OK to use it as a way of denigrating another poster's opinions.

Anyway, like I said, one of the reasons for the Auld Alliance (which pre-dates Flodden by 230 years, incidentally) was to give the English pause and make them think twice about invading Scotland. Hence, make them nervous. It seems we can say the French have always been our enemies but not that the English needed something to stop them invading Scotland.

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 12:29:17

FarNorth

grin
I've not read all this thread but just checked back to see the 'anti-English' comment.
It's about distant history - 13th century, as was explained. Why take offence at that?

Exactly

suziewoozie Thu 18-Mar-21 12:28:31

LauraNorder

Yes Suziewoozie, I repeat, I largely ignore posts not worthy of respect.

So making an unpleasant comment to a poster you don’t respect is perfectly acceptable? A sort of pecking order of whom it’s fine to insult, demean, rubbish and others worthy of being defended? Hummmm