Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Astrazeneca vaccine suspended..... Not proven to be linked to the jab yet, but investigations are ongoing *title edited by GNHQ*

(363 Posts)
Shinamae Sun 14-Mar-21 10:16:00

Just heard on sky News that the vaccine has been suspended in Ireland due to a report from Norway about blood clotting issues in 4 cases. I have had that vaccine and I’m not at all worried..

Blossoming Sun 14-Mar-21 10:19:17

I have had it too and I’m not worried either.

Alegrias1 Sun 14-Mar-21 10:23:18

I've reported this thread on the grounds that the headline is misleading. I'm not asking for it to be deleted, but the title suggests that the vaccine has been suspended completely and that is not true. There is good evidence so far that there is no correlation between the vaccine and blood clots.

A similar thread in Mumsnet had the title changed to show the complete situation and I am suggesting this one does too.

trisher Sun 14-Mar-21 10:26:02

I've had it and I googled to find out more. Apparently links between the vaccine and the blood clotting are unproved. But The Republic of Ireland is tryng to make Astra Zeneca supply them with more vaccine news.sky.com/story/ireland-should-suspend-astrazeneca-vaccine-over-clotting-concerns-health-authority-says-12245626
The Irish authorities have been pressing the pharmaceutical firm to speed up its supplies to the Republic.

FannyCornforth Sun 14-Mar-21 10:29:21

Thanks Alegrias
People get easily spooked
(not me personally, of course, oh no siree...)

growstuff Sun 14-Mar-21 10:34:57

I'd be more concerned if AstraZeneca and health authorities did nothing about any concerns.

Blood clots are relatively common, especially in the group who have been vaccinated, so I doubt if there is any reason to panic. It's probably a good idea to know the symptoms of blood clots anyway.

I had the AZ vaccination and I'm not bothered.

nanna8 Sun 14-Mar-21 10:40:41

We have been told Italy,Norway, Iceland, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Luxembourg behave all suspended the vaccine roll out. So has Thailand ( who are not usually alarmists) and Bulgaria. Quite concerning .

Oldwoman70 Sun 14-Mar-21 10:45:14

If the EU are so concerned about the AstraZeneca vaccine why are they blocking its export to other countries and demanding they receive supplies first?

Grannyflower Sun 14-Mar-21 10:47:55

Not worried. I had a pulmonary embolism years before I had the AZ vaccine and am still here

EllanVannin Sun 14-Mar-21 10:48:07

Well I was worried a week after having had the AZ. I suffer from A/fib and hadn't had a bad episode since December 2019 when I was blue-lighted into resus---where I stayed ( wiredup ) for 6 hours until stabilized.

A week after having had the vaccination I had a really bad episode when both arms ached as well which told me there was a clot going on somewhere albeit not a severe one as my chest wasn't affected by pain. I didn't want to call the emergency services on account of catching the virus and I'd got to a point where I couldn't have cared less if I'd died . I spent the next 3 weeks being very dizzy.

I've made up my mind that I'm not going to have a second dose of vaccine on account of my blood-clotting problem as I mightn't be so lucky next time. They don't know enough about thrombotic conditions in each individual as it's not a one size fits all with blood conditions and warfarin medication.

Alegrias1 Sun 14-Mar-21 10:50:25

nanna8

We have been told Italy,Norway, Iceland, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Luxembourg behave all suspended the vaccine roll out. So has Thailand ( who are not usually alarmists) and Bulgaria. Quite concerning .

No correlation so far between the jab and blood clots. This is scaremongering.

Blinko Sun 14-Mar-21 10:50:32

nanna8

I would think they require further information and reassurance. I would imagine the UK has plenty of data it can supply. Based on that 23.5m of us who have had the vaccine. Not sure what proportion is AZ but surely a sizeable block.

EllanVannin Sun 14-Mar-21 10:53:43

I beg to differ Alegrias.
There are always the odd few who do suffer adverse reactions to any medications especially vaccines.

Lillie Sun 14-Mar-21 10:54:02

Why is one of the questions they ask when giving the jab, are you on blood thinning meds?

Alegrias1 Sun 14-Mar-21 10:55:50

Lillie - in case there is any bleeding at the point of the injection. I was asked the same question when I had my flu jab and I was told its a standard question if you're having a jab. When I said yes they asked about my INR and my Warfarin dose.

Callistemon Sun 14-Mar-21 10:57:04

Lillie

Why is one of the questions they ask when giving the jab, are you on blood thinning meds?

That question is also asked when having the Pfizer jab.

Alegrias1 Sun 14-Mar-21 10:58:04

EllanVannin

I beg to differ Alegrias.
There are always the odd few who do suffer adverse reactions to any medications especially vaccines.

We're not differing EV. What I said was that there is no correlation so far between having the jab and having blood clots. That's a true statement.

Callistemon Sun 14-Mar-21 10:58:58

Alegrias1

Lillie - in case there is any bleeding at the point of the injection. I was asked the same question when I had my flu jab and I was told its a standard question if you're having a jab. When I said yes they asked about my INR and my Warfarin dose.

I bled yesterday when having the 2nd jab although I am not on blood thinning medication. The nurse must have just caught a blood vessel. She pressed on it with a tissue for a couple of minutes and it stopped, didn't need a plaster.

LauraNorder Sun 14-Mar-21 10:59:55

Orlin has had five DVT episodes in his early adult life. Been on warfarin for forty years. Had the Astra Zeneca vaccine three weeks ago, no ill effects. Many of our friends in the same boat, all fine.
Nothing will stop us from having our second dose to facilitate the opening of our economy and our lives for the sake of our children and grandchildren.

Callistemon Sun 14-Mar-21 11:01:01

We're not differing EV. What I said was that there is no correlation so far between having the jab and having blood clots
There is, however, evidence that Covid itself could cause blood clots so, on balance, having a vaccination would be my preference.

SpringyChicken Sun 14-Mar-21 11:02:25

In any given week, some of the population will experience blood clots, whether they have had a vaccination or not. Given the mass vaccination program in hand, it’s to be expected therefore that some people will have a clot following a vaccination.

LauraNorder Sun 14-Mar-21 11:03:12

Well said Callistemon and good info as usual Alegrias.

LauraNorder Sun 14-Mar-21 11:03:59

Springychicken ?

trisher Sun 14-Mar-21 11:04:14

There is a article from the BMJ here www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n699
They state that instances of blood clotting in the vaccinated population is no higher than normal.

Blossoming Sun 14-Mar-21 11:14:12

I hope you’re feeling better now EV and I can understand why you are holding off the second dose for now.

I have the opposite problem, a risk of bleeding, and have been told the vaccine does not hold any special risks for me, apart from bleeding at the injection site. We’re all different, aren’t we?