Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Are we approaching another lockdown?

(232 Posts)
WishIwasyounger Fri 19-Mar-21 17:17:17

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the graph of new cases seems to be leveling out? Some European countries seem to be going back into lockdown, so I'm now getting anxious that we're not going to be back to normal for ages. Will my grand daughter ever see normal life?

LauraNorder Fri 19-Mar-21 19:02:56

It’ll be okay Maddyone. Europe will get going now it’s had its wobble.
We’ll be able to be out and about in the U.K. as long as we remember hands, face and space. A bit of caution and perhaps a few local lockdowns to keep
It under control.
We will get there.

maddyone Fri 19-Mar-21 19:06:19

Thank you *Laura *for words of encouragement. I do hope you’re right.

EllanVannin Fri 19-Mar-21 19:12:49

I tend to look back at history when the Spanish 'flu killed millions. Okay we have the vaccination programme but we also have millions more in populations around the world with many who are still on the move from country to country.

There weren't even any passenger planes in 1918, people were static but it still killed millions worldwide. Taking into consideration that malnutrition was rife during WWI and hygiene was non-existant.

This pandemic is following the same pattern as the Spanish one as it travelled through France, Germany and then the UK in April of that year as it continued in waves for 2 years and like Covid, the 2nd wave was the deadliest. The 4th wave followed in the 2nd year as unfortunately we're bound to have after gatherings during Easter and if lockdown is lifted too early. Masks and distance should continue until the end of this year if we're to avoid any more deaths.

maddyone Fri 19-Mar-21 19:17:59

I do, and always have done, the masks, sanitising, space, and not going out too much, but I still got the virus. How much good do the masks, and distancing, and sanitising really do?

JenniferEccles Fri 19-Mar-21 19:19:58

I would like to think that travel to European countries will not be permitted until their vaccination programme catches up.

It would be great if lots of us stayed here this year to support our own hospitality industry, although I can sympathise with those who have holiday homes abroad as well as those who long for guaranteed sun!

Redhead56 Fri 19-Mar-21 19:35:33

I have kept very busy and occupied my mind this last year. I usually have a positive outlook but it's wearing thin just lately.
Our friends are the same we all basically retired the same time. Our retirement so far has been abiding by the rules not breaking them at all. We have not seen our families and there doesn't seem to be an end to lockdown.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Mar-21 19:47:59

I think some days it’s just harder to be optimistic. I burble along pretty much okay for a couple of weeks then I find I’m having a wobble. It’s surreal, living like this. It’s like some dystopian novel but I’m actually in it and some days it scares me, just a tiny bit. Hearing of spikes in infection don’t help do they, especially with the vaccine programme doing so well? Then I think to myself ‘get a grip’ and I’m okay again, for a while.

Till I think of all the young ones who have missed out on so much, yet been so good and patient. And poorly people waiting for surgery for serious stuff. And the ruination of so many people’s hope & dreams who opened businesses just before the pandemic hit. And I have another wobble.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Mar-21 19:53:30

And then I read an update of the Telegraph just now which states:

“Downing Street has played down concerns that a third wave of coronavirus across Europe risks seeing cases reimported into the UK.

“The Queen’s Official Birthday Parade, also known as Trooping the Colour, will not go ahead this year in its traditional form in London.

“It could take up to three years to get NHS waiting lists to pre-pandemic levels, a hospital chief has said.

“The head of the WHO, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said the rise in coronavirus cases globally is a “worrying trend”.

“A Government adviser warns that the importation of infections could again become a “major” contributor when travel restrictions are eased.”

And I feel deflated.
Is anything getting better or are we just clinging on to hope?

Ellianne Fri 19-Mar-21 20:16:51

I think the scariest thing is that no one really knows.

NellG Fri 19-Mar-21 20:18:55

Same here Urm - every now and then it just comes crashing in ?

I find deliberately not reading or watching the news some days helps. It will get better over time, we just have to hang in there a bit longer.

I did just read some good news though, I'll try and link in a mo, but basically it confirmed that if you had a ropey reaction to the first dose of vaccine it means you had likely already had Covid and therefore are at the same level of immunity as you would be if you'd had both jabs. So a small but significant thing meaning that a few more people are safer and less likely to be able to transmit it. I dunno, I'm just grateful for small mercies these days!

WishIwasyounger Fri 19-Mar-21 20:20:28

I'm really anxious

NellG Fri 19-Mar-21 20:24:46

www.aol.co.uk/living/strong-reaction-first-covid-19-214925887.html

LauraNorder Fri 19-Mar-21 20:37:15

Yes a break from the news can really help. We took a day last weekend, no tv, no laptop, no phone, just went for a long walk, played music and danced around the house. It was like detox from doom.
We’re planning a whole weekend from midnight tonight until Monday morning. Just family zoom and the lunch time news, nothing else.
It takes some willpower but it was worth it for us. The good vibes lasted most of the week.

Shinamae Fri 19-Mar-21 20:41:55

I had Covid back in March, I had my vaccination the end of January,absolutely no reaction to that at all. Then I apparently got Covid again mid February. I had no symptoms for either of the times I have had Covid except aching legs which I’m now putting down to long Covid.... so two lots of Covid and the vaccination I should be bullet-proof!!!

DillytheGardener Fri 19-Mar-21 20:51:45

Shinamael gosh what rotten luck. Do you work in a public facing role where you have greater exposure than those wfh or just bad luck?

BlueSky Fri 19-Mar-21 20:54:56

Same here deflated is the word! One step forward and two backward. Worrying that some people still got Covid despite following the rules.

LauraNorder Fri 19-Mar-21 21:08:13

Thing is though if we’re vaccinated we are unlikely to get a severe dose. Just keep on keeping on until our kids are vaccinated too and hopefully numbers will be so low our grandchildren will be protected too.
Tomorrow will be a better day.

EMMF1948 Fri 19-Mar-21 21:11:34

It's a matter of statistics, it can't go on reducing at the same rate indefinitely. It you take the temperature of your tea regularly, it cools quickly then starts to level off, same with these figures.

Shinamae Fri 19-Mar-21 21:16:06

DillytheGardener

Shinamael gosh what rotten luck. Do you work in a public facing role where you have greater exposure than those wfh or just bad luck?

Yes Dilly, I work in a care home and I must say I really do enjoy it and thankfully now all staff and residents are Covid free...

Polarbear2 Fri 19-Mar-21 22:43:51

I don’t think people will accept it. I look at my local park now and there’s lots of people meeting up. Lots of Cafes selling from their doors with big queues every weekend. Even my old mum is quietly meeting friends now they’re all vaccinated. I don’t think a majority will go back into another lockdown. Two lots of friends who have been super careful have rung asking to meet up for a walk. I know the vaccine isn’t the whole story but like it or not the general public think they’re ok to resume life now.

mokryna Fri 19-Mar-21 22:54:43

Bluebelle I believe anyone living in France can put me right if I m wrong and recently there has been bad press.

I don’t think people realize what is happening here in mainland Europe. Places are ready, doctors, pharmacists and centres.
Everyone over 70 I speak to wants the vaccination but there is no vaccine available.

BlueSky Fri 19-Mar-21 23:53:10

Mokryna I believe a lot of people in Europe are refusing the Astra Zeneca. Some of my friends were smugly telling me they cancelled their appointments!

Margiknot Sat 20-Mar-21 09:31:27

Don’t forget older school children and college students have recently started testing twice weekly ( via LFT) for Covid. More early and asymptotic cases will be added to the statistics than were previously picked up. However I too think the situation in Europe is worrying and we as an island country may need precautions of some sort to continue for some time.

frenchie3 Sun 21-Mar-21 10:35:55

Vaccine in France is difficult to find. My husband has ongoing health problems and was supposed to get a vaccine in January, unfortunately his appointment was cancelled due to lack of vaccine. I am not in the vulnerable category, but managed to get my 1st vaccine 2 weeks ago, husband gets his this coming week. 2nd injections due 1st week in April for me and 3rd week for OH.

Caro57 Sun 21-Mar-21 10:38:26

This IS normal life - the virus is not going to go away, in the same way HIV has not gone away and like HIV we have to adapt / learn to live with it.