Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

AZ Vaccine ‘100% effective’ against severe COVID

(77 Posts)
Blossoming Mon 22-Mar-21 19:55:16

Some good news from trials in the US.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/astrazeneca-vaccine-100-effective-against-severe-covid_uk_60585432c5b6d6c2a2a848da?ncid=APPLENEWS00001

MrsDally Sat 27-Mar-21 09:45:45

I (along with my OH) had the AZ one on Friday. OH has been fine, I have had fatigue and felt unwell . However, the side effects are a small price to pay in the scheme of things. I would rather suffer side effects of the vaccine than suffer the effects of Covid. Surely, we all have a responsibility to the NHS and indeed each other to have the vaccine unless there is a medical reason why we can't have it? For me, it's the only way forward.

M0nica Wed 24-Mar-21 15:30:20

Sodapop I think we all have understanding for those with genuine concerns, but what Grandetante said was: Well, it may be safe, but I have no intention of risking it. I shall wait for one of the other vaccines. Grandatante's response is not a genuine concern, it is an irrational fear not assuaged by a rational researched reply. It shows only too clearly, how the tentacles of a disproved story can still hold a stranglehold on those who have heard it, even when they claim the no longer beleive it.

growstuff Wed 24-Mar-21 11:10:48

BlueSky

Growstuff thanks for your detailed explanation. We can research a claim and make our own mind up, but sadly when it’s out there you just get the wildest responses. We can only do our bit.

It was just a copy and past from FullFact. There are other articles saying the same thing. I was too tired to summarise it.

The point is that it's absolute nonsense to claim that any vaccine contains foetal cells.

curlz Wed 24-Mar-21 10:58:15

Just had my AZ vaccine 2 hours ago at local chemist all went without a hitch . So far so good ?

PamelaJ1 Wed 24-Mar-21 08:57:48

Chemtrail who is rude? Everyone?

BlueSky Wed 24-Mar-21 08:41:32

Growstuff thanks for your detailed explanation. We can research a claim and make our own mind up, but sadly when it’s out there you just get the wildest responses. We can only do our bit.

Clevedon Wed 24-Mar-21 08:40:39

I had the AZ jab 5 weeks ago along with hubby. No reactions at all. It's a no brainer........

Chemtrail Wed 24-Mar-21 08:39:25

How rude you are

FarNorth Wed 24-Mar-21 08:33:11

On another thread, I mentioned a friend who did not want to be vaccinated because of reactions she's had to some past medications.
She changed her mind after speaking with her practice nurse.
I don't suppose the nurse persuaded her by saying she was crackers or that future treatment would be withheld.

sodapop Wed 24-Mar-21 08:27:43

I agree with your last paragraph Suziewoozie if people have genuine concerns then these need to be addressed. Grandetante is not an anti vaxxer just worried. Unfortunately in Europe we have been subjected to a lot of AZ criticism. Macron was the main instigator of giving incorrect information. There were some concerns about the blood clotting issue which were blown out of proportion. I'm surprised at the stance Merkel took as I believe she was a research chemist in her early life, or maybe that's why.

Once again people have piled onto a poster who was only expressing a genuine worry. As for withholding medical treatment etc words fail me.

FarNorth Wed 24-Mar-21 08:12:04

more nervous of any vaccine at all than of an undeniably lethal worldwide disease

I suppose they think they can continue as they have been, and avoid it that way.
I'd rather have a chance at something more normal, myself.

suziewoozie Wed 24-Mar-21 07:58:38

Saetana

Macron and Merkel have a lot to answer for with their completely bogus claims about the Oxford/AZ vaccine. On one hand they are saying its not effective, causes blood clots etc etc. On the other hand they are complaining they haven't received enough of it! You really cannot make this stuff up - they are largely responsible for the vaccine scepticism, particularly regarding the Oxford/AZ vaccine, in their countries. There has been a large US study published this week that confirms the Oxford/AZ vaccine is 100% (yes ONE HUNDRED PER CENT!) effective at preventing serious illness and hospitalisation. It also confirmed there is ZERO link between Oxford/AZ and blood clots. My husband had the Oxford/AZ vaccine a few weeks ago and I had mine two weeks ago - only side effect was an aching arm for a couple of days. I am getting REALLY tired of people spreading lies about covid vaccines - you people are disgusting and need to take a long hard look at yourselves! And don't get me started on the idiotic Bill Gates claims - cannot believe anyone seriously believes that particular conspiracy theory. We have very high vaccine take up so far here in the UK and I hope that will not change as a result of LIES being spread around the internet.

You can’t lump Macron and Merkel together and then just make sweeping generalisations. . There is much to criticise with the response in Europe but your post does you no favours by not being accurate
Macron was the biggest fool quite frankly.by stating that the AZ vaccine was ‘quasi-effective’ in the over 65s. In fact of course, the issue was lack of sufficient data in that age group. At the time that was true. In the UK the MHRA decided that we could extrapolate from the safety and efficacy data for younger age groups and press ahead. The EMA also adopted this position when it gave its authorisation.
The blood clot issue is a separate matter and was raised initially iirc by Norway. Several European countries then paused their use of AZ whilst the EMA investigated the issue and then re- iterated it’s original judgement.
The real tragedy in all this is the delayed roll out, the levels of distrust and vaccine hesitancy that is fuelling the third wave in many European countries. Many of us on GN have friends and family affected by this ( and indeed some GNers are) and it’s heartbreaking.

As for the latest research findings from AZ, they are indeed excellent news but sadly in the US this news was tarnished by their ( it for the first time) over enthusiastic PR department. The US ( which has yet to licence AZ) had to issue a public rebuke to AZ and ask for the uptodate data to be supplied. It was actually a real one goal for AZ as the final ( as opposed to interim ) efficacy figures were still excellent , just a few % points less. This sort of behaviour by AZ does no favours either

As for the row with the EU over exports, this is a complex issue but anyone who thinks that that it’s a simple goodies and baddies story is being misled.

Finally you lump together people with genuine fears and anxieties with those spreading conspiracy theories. That’s no way to deal with the issue of increasing take up.

M0nica Wed 24-Mar-21 07:58:12

As someone in the know said, why waste time putting chips in vaccines when the average smart phone can do the same job more easily and more cheaply.

By the way has anyone of these fake news sources ever identified where all these chips are being made ? I mean whoever, whereever it is, they must be making billions of them so surely someone knows, then we could all go and encircle the plant or somethingsmile

Kapitan Wed 24-Mar-21 07:24:59

I think Grandtante lives on another planet.

Saetana Wed 24-Mar-21 01:34:01

Macron and Merkel have a lot to answer for with their completely bogus claims about the Oxford/AZ vaccine. On one hand they are saying its not effective, causes blood clots etc etc. On the other hand they are complaining they haven't received enough of it! You really cannot make this stuff up - they are largely responsible for the vaccine scepticism, particularly regarding the Oxford/AZ vaccine, in their countries. There has been a large US study published this week that confirms the Oxford/AZ vaccine is 100% (yes ONE HUNDRED PER CENT!) effective at preventing serious illness and hospitalisation. It also confirmed there is ZERO link between Oxford/AZ and blood clots. My husband had the Oxford/AZ vaccine a few weeks ago and I had mine two weeks ago - only side effect was an aching arm for a couple of days. I am getting REALLY tired of people spreading lies about covid vaccines - you people are disgusting and need to take a long hard look at yourselves! And don't get me started on the idiotic Bill Gates claims - cannot believe anyone seriously believes that particular conspiracy theory. We have very high vaccine take up so far here in the UK and I hope that will not change as a result of LIES being spread around the internet.

welbeck Wed 24-Mar-21 01:02:12

i think grandtanteJE65 lives in continenetal europe, ?denmark near the german border.
i too was surprised by her vehement anti AZ vaccine statement. she usually sounds quite sensible.
guess that shews the effect of propaganda, on us too, except we have the benefit of large-scale experience too.
i heard that the incidence of blood clots was lower in the group who have had the AZ vaccine, compared with those who have not been vaccinated.
and covid-19 is known to cause blood clots. go figure.

growstuff Wed 24-Mar-21 00:47:58

A video originally posted on the Vaxxed II Facebook page, which has since spread further online, claims that the Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine contains cells from the lung of an aborted male foetus.

The vaccine does not use the cell strain mentioned, but a different one, called HEK 293, which was derived from human kidney cells of an aborted foetus.

Cells from both foetuses have been replicated over the decades, creating what’s known as cell strains. So the actual cells used in the manufacture of this vaccine are not directly from a foetus.

While human-derived cells are used to manufacture the vaccine, they are filtered out of the final product.

What does the video claim?
The video claims that the ChAdOx1 Covid-19 vaccine, being developed by the University of Oxford and eventually manufactured by AstraZeneca, contains cells that come from an aborted foetus.

The video points to a paper that also talks about the ChAdOx1 vaccine and the use of MRC-5 cells, a line of cells that were originally taken from an aborted foetus in 1966.

MRC-5 are a group of cells that can be grown in a lab, or outside of the tissue it came from, and are used for research. These cells originated from those taken from a foetus, but none of the cells being used today were in an aborted foetus.

These cells have since been propagated in labs for many years, and has been used in the actual production of other vaccines, such as vaccines against shingles and chickenpox, to grow the virus for use in the injection.

But AstraZeneca told Full Fact that these MRC-5 cells were not used in the development of its Covid-19 vaccine.

So, back to the paper mentioned in the video. This paper is a pre-clinical research study done by some of the same people working on the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine to see how the vaccine might work in human cells, before it was tested on people. The study did use MRC-5 cells.

We asked AstraZeneca about this paper, which said: “The paper referred to is preclinical research conducted to show the effectiveness of the vaccine in preclinical studies before moving to human trials. The MRC-5 cell line is not used to produce [the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine].”

But cells from the HEK 293 TREX producer cell line were used in the manufacture of the vaccine, specifically to propagate the virus. These cells are derived from kidney cells from a female foetus aborted in the 1970s.

Why are foetal cells used in production of some vaccines?
According to the Vaccine Knowledge Project at Oxford University: “Some viruses, such as chickenpox (varicella), grow much better in human cells. After they are grown, the viruses are purified several times to remove the cell culture material. This makes it unlikely that any human material remains in the final vaccine.”

They also say that the foetus from which MRC-5 cells are propogated, was the result of a legal abortion agreed to by the woman, and was not performed for the purpose of vaccine development specifically.

The origin of HEK 293 cells are less clear, but came from what was likely to have been a therapeutic abortion in the Netherlands in the 1970s.

The video also claims that the vaccine will change your DNA which is untrue.

fullfact.org/online/foetal-cells-covid-vaccine/

growstuff Wed 24-Mar-21 00:42:38

maddyone

I’ve heard about that one too BlueSky. I hope that people don’t actually believe that sort of rubbish.

It's amazing what people believe.

growstuff Wed 24-Mar-21 00:40:15

Correction: Vaccines have not been manufactured using elective aborted foetuses. This would imply that the vaccines actually contain cells from aborted foetuses. They don't. They use cell lines from a foetus which was aborted in 1972.

Gannygangan Wed 24-Mar-21 00:27:13

Many vaccines have been manufactured using elective aborted foetuses.

I thought this was fairly common knowledge

Cells derived from elective abortions have been used since the 1960s to manufacture vaccines, including current vaccines against rubella, chickenpox, hepatitis A, and shingles. They have also been used to make approved drugs against diseases including hemophilia, rheumatoid arthritis, and cystic fibrosis. Now, research groups around the world are working to develop more than 130 candidate vaccines against COVID-19, according to the World Health Organization; 10 had entered human trials as of 2 June.

At least five of the candidate COVID-19 vaccines use one of two human fetal cell lines: HEK-293, a kidney cell line widely used in research and industry that comes from a fetus aborted in about 1972; and PER.C6, a proprietary cell line owned by Janssen, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, developed from retinal cells from an 18-week-old fetus aborted in 1985. Both cell lines were developed in the lab of molecular biologist Alex van der Eb at Leiden University. Two of the five vaccines have entered human trials

www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06/abortion-opponents-protest-covid-19-vaccines-use-fetal-cells

Ro60 Wed 24-Mar-21 00:18:26

Greciangirl:
You made me think: Coronavirus Vaccines: Are they safe?
Looks like pretty good say, 99.9% Safe.

Coronavirus 19 virus + mutations % safe to me & my family? I would think much lower percentage.

maddyone Tue 23-Mar-21 22:52:29

I’ve heard about that one too BlueSky. I hope that people don’t actually believe that sort of rubbish.

BlueSky Tue 23-Mar-21 21:56:28

Well the latest on fb is that all vaccines contain cells from aborted foetuses! You can imagine the impact of this information especially in catholic countries! I know it’s not correct but sadly something else to make them refuse it.

maddyone Tue 23-Mar-21 21:43:02

Alegrias that’s such a lovely post. Very kind. Maybe grandtante will pop back as you’ve written a more understanding post.
I wonder if some of the posters who have been so judgmental would be so face to face. Probably not.
I think we should all have the jab if there are no medical reasons not to do so. I wonder why so many Europeans feel the way they do about vaccinations. Of course, Mr Macron didn’t help did he? My opinion only but I think he’s a complete...........
I can’t say what I think about him.

Alegrias1 Tue 23-Mar-21 20:41:10

If I was grandtanteJE65 I certainly wouldn't come back and tell us why she thinks that way, having been told she's crackers and that she should be forced to take it, or have her medical care denied.

It would have been interesting and probably quite useful to have a conversation about why she thinks that way and maybe try to understand if anything would change her mind, but I expect that opportunity is lost to us now.