Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

AZ Vaccine ‘100% effective’ against severe COVID

(76 Posts)
Blossoming Mon 22-Mar-21 19:55:16

Some good news from trials in the US.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/astrazeneca-vaccine-100-effective-against-severe-covid_uk_60585432c5b6d6c2a2a848da?ncid=APPLENEWS00001

BlueSky Mon 22-Mar-21 20:40:10

Great news on the AZ after the recent continental scares!

Urmstongran Mon 22-Mar-21 20:45:43

The AstraZeneca vaccine is 100 per cent effective against severe or critical disease and hospitalisation, a US study has shown.

AstraZeneca said an independent safety committee conducted a specific review of the blood clots in the US trial, as well as cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST), which is an extremely rare blood clot in the brain, with the help of an independent neurologist.

It showed that the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine was 79 per cent effective at preventing symptomatic illness, and was 100 percent effective against severe or critical disease and hospitalisation.

maddyone Mon 22-Mar-21 23:26:04

Brilliant news (though I had Pfizer.)

grandtanteJE65 Tue 23-Mar-21 11:15:19

Well, it may be safe, but I have no intention of risking it. I shall wait for one of the other vaccines.

maddyone Tue 23-Mar-21 11:25:06

Really! I’m amazed, why ever not? Do you live on the continent? This is why there’s a third wave crossing Europe I’m afraid.

Candelle Tue 23-Mar-21 11:26:10

Joke currently doing the rounds:

The European Medicines Agency has looked into the link between clots and jabs.

The EU has all the clots and the UK the jabs.

Boom boom.

Hetty58 Tue 23-Mar-21 11:32:23

grandtanteJE65:

'it may be safe, but I have no intention of risking it'

So - you risk Covid instead? - why (for Heaven's sake)?

M0nica Tue 23-Mar-21 11:35:23

grandetanteJE65 Well, it may be safe, but I have no intention of risking it.

Could you explain your reasoning behind this statement? I assume you have this same attitude to all vaccines, so how are you going to have any COVID vaccine at all?

Daffonanna Tue 23-Mar-21 12:04:21

I have a French friend living alone here, has enthusiastically been vaccinated but now distraught that she cannot see family in France this Summer . Many friends her age at home have told her they will not be having the vaccine any time soon , and yet are now locked down again . She and I are baffled by the reluctance to accept it , alongside the anger over loss of freedom and supply issues , and the stories of empty vaccination centres and the disposal of out of date supplies . I understood that the protection of all depends on the participation of all .

Magme Tue 23-Mar-21 12:07:19

The only way of getting back to some kind of normality is to have the vaccine. I think that not only do we have a duty to the NHS but we also have a duty to the community around us and the general population. Why you would choose to risk COVID with possible hospitalisation, possible long Covid and possible death is beyond me.

BlueSky Tue 23-Mar-21 12:11:36

grandtanteJE65

Well, it may be safe, but I have no intention of risking it. I shall wait for one of the other vaccines.

Grandtante you sound just like my French and Italian friends!

dancingfeet Tue 23-Mar-21 12:12:31

My daughter was given the vaccine early, before her age group, precisely because she has had a DVT. I hope this reassures any who are hesitating.

Jillybird Tue 23-Mar-21 12:27:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaggsMcG Tue 23-Mar-21 12:27:54

The EU are just being petty. Yes they needed to check it out. They knew it was very small and that blood clots happen all the time for no apparent reason. They are just angry we left the EU and are trying to get their own back. Although we should export some of our vaccine at least or we will be looked on as just as bad.

grannysyb Tue 23-Mar-21 12:31:21

My DD suffered a blood clot a couple of years ago, she had the AstraZeneca on the 19th and is absolutely fine. If you get Covid you might get blood clots, can't understand some people's reasoning.

B9exchange Tue 23-Mar-21 12:38:03

I am all for freedom of choice, but I do support the proposed decision to insist all care home staff have the jab. They do have a choice, they can do other work, but if they want to care for the elderly vulnerable, then they need to take the responsible choice of having the vaccine to protect them. When working in Primary Care, I had to have the two Hep B jabs, with a blood test afterwards to make sure they had worked. It was either that or give up my job, but I was happy to protect myself and others.

Stella14 Tue 23-Mar-21 12:39:47

grandtanteJE65

Why?

BlueSky Tue 23-Mar-21 12:52:01

I read all the 5 UK cases of CSVT (11m AZ vaccinations) were men aged between 19 and 59. So possibly in the CEV group, having had the jab before their age group?

Blossoming Tue 23-Mar-21 12:57:53

I’m quite disappointed that somebody has used this good news thread to have yet another pop at “The Oxford Vaccine”.

If you don’t want it, don’t have it. No need to keep telling us over and over again.

maddyone Tue 23-Mar-21 13:09:28

Well said Blossoming but at least the majority agree with you.

Mamardoit Tue 23-Mar-21 13:11:52

BlueSky

grandtanteJE65

Grandtante you sound just like my French and Italian friends!

This is why we shouldn't be travelling to the continent any time soon.

I hope you don't have to wait too long grandtaneJE65 . Covid is not going to disappear. There will be less cases over the summer but it will still be there mutating. People everywhere need to get a jab soon.

Thankfully in the UK no one has choice and in the main we feel lucky to have been vaccinated.

Mamardoit Tue 23-Mar-21 13:14:34

They have the choice whether they have it of course but not which one.

Daffonanna Tue 23-Mar-21 13:14:50

It is reassuring that Grandetante JE 65 seems willing to have a vaccine of some kind . I’m concerned that so many over 60’s in France are more nervous of any vaccine at all than of an undeniably lethal worldwide disease that continues to destroy normal life and livelihood for us all , and will continue to do so if we don’t all play a very small part in accepting the incredible work of committed scientists . I just want to know why this is the case.

Babs1953 Tue 23-Mar-21 13:44:32

I believe that people should have the Covid vaccination unless they have a really good reason not to. It is their choice but we have to think of other people, especially this most at risk. I have had my first one and will hopefully have my second one at the beginning of May. I am a Carer, so I decided that it was my responsibility to have the vaccine as I deal with those who are more vulnerable and elderly friends and relatives.