Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Kate Garraway

(45 Posts)
annsixty Tue 23-Mar-21 16:01:32

I am quite prepared to be jumped on from a great height but while having the utmost sympathy, her family are going through a truly dreadful time, I really would welcome a day when I turn to google news and she isn’t featured at least once.
The families who have gone through similar and lost their loved ones must be upset regularly by seeing yet another pronouncement from her.
Now I will stand back and wait.

Roses Fri 09-Apr-21 10:12:03

I'm so happy for them all

It won't be easy but it's going in the right direction

I'm sure he will make a better recovery now he is at home

nanna8 Fri 09-Apr-21 10:06:40

I only wish they would show something like that here so that all those silly people who say they won’t be vaccinated would wake up and realise what can happen with the virus. Because we have only been affected lightly here there is a lot of denial and minimalisation going on. Not to mention those tossers who march around trying to persuade others that it is all some sort of plot and the virus is a myth.

Lillie Fri 09-Apr-21 10:01:44

I think being home will improve his recovery no end. Mental as much as physical. I know mine would.

annsixty Fri 09-Apr-21 10:01:04

P.S. I never ever watch morning TV, indeed very little TV at all.

annsixty Fri 09-Apr-21 09:59:36

As the OP of this thread I also am delighted he is home and I am sure that any return to normal will be accelerated by being home with his family.
I wish them all the very best.

Puzzler61 Fri 09-Apr-21 09:27:11

I’m surprised as the documentary said Dereks’s hospital team expected him to be there until the end of this year.
I hope it means he is making better progress now.
I wish Derek, Kate and their children all the very best now they are back together in their family home. It won’t be an easy road but it is going in the right direction.

Ellianne Fri 09-Apr-21 09:16:58

Sorry I was actually meaning along the lines of what Sarnia picked up on too, I can see from previous comments that some get fed up with hearing about him. I think that comes from those who watch too much morning TV.
It's not Kate herself it's the constant media I was criticising.

Anniebach Fri 09-Apr-21 08:50:26

I didn’t hear Daily bulletins , not heard a word since the documentary.

So happy to learn he is home, I hope he will make a recovery

BlueBelle Fri 09-Apr-21 08:32:04

I must be doing things other than watching TV as I don’t see any daily bulletins ellianne
I m thrilled he’s going home as in the document it said next Christmas so hopefully he’s improved more than they expected

Sarnia Fri 09-Apr-21 08:30:52

Good news for their family. I suppose the doctors have done all they can for him in the hospital environment. The poor man has a very long road to travel back to good health, if that's even an option. I can see from previous comments that some get fed up with hearing about him but highlighting the devastating effects Covid can bring may reinforce the message to get vaccinated and still observe the rules.

Ellianne Fri 09-Apr-21 08:19:43

The news today that her husband is now home filled me with great joy!

I do, however, hope that this is the end of all the near daily bulletins on his condition and the family's struggles. Unless it is from an informative covid viewpoint of course.

lavenderzen Wed 24-Mar-21 09:35:01

The programme reduced me to tears. What a strong lady she is and has had to be. My heart goes out to them all.

EllanVannin Wed 24-Mar-21 09:26:03

What I saw in this programme was a normal family. I'd have felt so at ease sitting in that house and talking to Kate.
I admire the woman for what she's doing simply because I know what it's like to see to a sick husband and also try and work at the same time., though I didn't also have a young family to see to.

Working at such times is the only thing that keeps you sane and focussed and of course brings in the much needed income too.
You could see how she loves her husband dearly and he appears to be a lovely easy-going man.

Once home, I'm sure he'll do alright as it'll do him good to be with his family. People have survived these induced coma's after months and have gone on to improve so I have every hope for Derek, sad as the situation was.

Urmstongran Wed 24-Mar-21 08:02:25

I found it a very moving programme. Kate Garraway is one strong lady and her love for her husband Derek shone through. With Elton John as a friend and he is known to be kind and generous hearted (and many other celebrities I’ll bet) I don’t think she’ll struggle financially which is one huge worry less. Their future is uncertain but she adores him and is more than prepared to be his main carer.

I like her natural ways, the way she can, even now, laugh at herself. She is a warm, sunny person. I’m sure she draws people towards her. I adored her chaotic household stuffed with Lego, photographs and a year’s deliveries of Derek’s copies of the Financial Times.

She listened intently to those interviewed who are recovering from long covid. She looked understandably exhausted at times. It was a privilege to be allowed an insight into her world and I wish them all the very best for a good outcome in the months to come.

M0nica Wed 24-Mar-21 07:53:25

Kate Garraway is a professional broadcaster, her husband's long illness has made her the only wage earner in the family. Given the exceptional severity of his illness, I think this broadcast is entirely appropriate and brings out just how terrible this disease can be - and not just to old people. My heart goes out to her.

grandmajet Wed 24-Mar-21 07:30:19

Puzzler 61, my thoughts exactly. We just watched in silence, holding back the tears.
I know they are not the only family suffering - that makes it even worse.

Puzzler61 Wed 24-Mar-21 07:27:38

Kate Garraway had no agenda when taking part in the documentary except letting people see into her life and Derek Draper’s life as it has unfolded over the last year since he was struck down with Covid-19 .
She is disarmingly ordinary, but with extraordinary determination to plan the next phase of her and her husband’s life whatever that will be. She is desperate to have him home but it is unlikely to happen soon. It may be he will be in a wheelchair at best - which is why the house had to be remodelled for that - or laid on a hospital style bed at worst.
He’ll probably be unable to go upstairs. Nothing is certain.

Poor man, poor family. A very loving family with 2 gorgeous children who are fully aware of the situation as their mum keeps them informed about their dad.
BlueBelle I echo your words, so eloquently written.

Calendargirl Wed 24-Mar-21 07:14:08

I watched it. Thought what a horrendous situation to be in. It’s moved on from when he was first ill, end of March last year, to about a month ago.

At the beginning she was waiting for the phone call to say he would be dead in the next hour, to him being able to talk and communicate. But seriously ill, his lungs, kidneys, liver had all collapsed, you wonder how much damage can be reversed.

She has been having the house converted ready for when he can come home, but hospital plans for him to still be there end of this year.

She speaks about how she will give up work to be his primary carer.

She quoted the ‘in sickness and in health, for better, for worse’ from their marriage service.

I think she is under no illusion about how challenging and how different their future might be.

MerylStreep Wed 24-Mar-21 07:13:53

Would it be too much to ask that posters give Kate Garraway her full mame.

Framilode Wed 24-Mar-21 06:21:22

Having watched the programme my admiration for KG has increased. It was incredibly moving and her determination and positivity shone through despite the terrible circumstances they all find themselves in.
I also withdraw my criticism about her husband being unable to give consent to being shown in hospital. He seems to be lucid enough to do that now. I very much hope that he recovers enough to come home soon though that will be the start of another journey, which she knows only too well.

BlueBelle Wed 24-Mar-21 04:47:16

Did you watch the programme annesixty and if so did it change your mind ?
I thought it was a beautiful documentary and whilst heartbreakingly sad had so much hope and deep love within it that it made it a programmer to inspire
What a lovely ordinary down to earth lady she is, apart from her large house you d never think she’s a well known, probably well off, personality.
The programme had no acting in it, it was as it was, she hadn’t tidied the house or coached the kids or even done her hair at times
It was incredibly sad but her love for him could not be acted and for me it shone through like a beacon
That poor man so locked in, in all senses of the word and still got another nine months in hospital I truly hope he regains as much of himself as possible and they carry on a good life together
A sad but totally inspiring programme

I wonder what it is that’s makes this illness such a lottery The two identical twins that they showed, one got better after 8 days the other one still struggling I m sure the scientist will find a clue soon

annsixty Wed 24-Mar-21 01:49:24

As the OP, nowhere have I objected to this programme, in fact I never mentioned it.
I also said I had utmost sympathy for the family in their ordeal.
I just felt the constant publicity was overkill.
I realise I am alone in my thoughts.
I also expected criticism, I wasn’t wrong there.
I will leave it now.
I wish the family well and a return to some vestige of normality.

welbeck Wed 24-Mar-21 01:09:17

well said, Ellianne.

Ellianne Wed 24-Mar-21 00:43:30

For me what shone through was her indomitable spirit and the power of her everlasting love. It didn't have to be all about covid, it wasn't all about financial issues. It was about soldiering on in any adversity that comes along. Heartbreaking, but also uplifting.

Gannygangan Tue 23-Mar-21 23:46:20

That's very true, Dinahmo

A friend of mine, in her early 30s caught covid at work. Her father worked at the same hospital. He also fell victim.

He recovered quite quickly, but his daughter is still suffering 10 months on.

I honestly don't believe a lot of people quite understand how serious this can be for any age

Just because the majority of deaths occur in the over 80s doesn't mean younger people aren't affected.