Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

First non essential shop visit

(155 Posts)
gillyknits Mon 05-Apr-21 12:35:53

Sorry if this has been asked before.
Which non essential shop will you visit first after 12 April.?
I can’t make up my mind whether to go to Dunelm or M&S.

MiniMoon Mon 05-Apr-21 17:33:27

First and foremost, I'm going to have my hair cut. Then in to our little wool shop for some supplies in readiness for the library opening and the return of knit & natter, which I hope won't be too far into the future.

MiniMoon Mon 05-Apr-21 17:35:37

Kayaking begins again on Wednesday evening, so I'm having my first trip down to the river with DGD. I haven't driven the car for ages. I need the practice.

3nanny6 Mon 05-Apr-21 17:36:49

Get the charity shops open I miss having a browse around them they are great.

GrannySomerset Mon 05-Apr-21 17:39:42

Hair cut and our lovely local card shop - have used my entire stash of cards and have several birthdays coming up. Amazing what we have all missed.

Kim19 Mon 05-Apr-21 18:11:54

Just been today. B&Q for paint and plants. Asda for compost and Aldi for cheaper stock up. Hallelujah! So very
mundane to prove so enjoyable. Amazing........

jusnoneed Mon 05-Apr-21 18:13:16

My friend will come to me to chop the hair back into shape.

I need to go to Street for some new slippers (I like ones from a sheepskin shop there) as mine are falling apart, and tootle around Home Bargains.

Dunelm in Yeovil will also be visited at some point as I need new throws for chairs.

That'll do me for a while, I only shop when really need to - I'm not one for just wandering around very often.

Amberone Mon 05-Apr-21 18:23:44

^So very
mundane to prove so enjoyable. Amazing........^

I've been very pleasantly surprised how much I've enjoyed the mundane over the last year. It's kept me sane I think!

BlueBelle Mon 05-Apr-21 18:49:13

The morning of the 13th April I will be working in my charity shop followed by a late afternoon appointment at my hairdressers for a massive haircut
It’s been a long time coming and I cannnnnnnnt wait
Although I do do online shopping I hate shopping for clothes online I like so many things that either look awful on, or don’t fit or are not what I thought they would be and I would almost never buy shoes online
We have virtually no clothes shops left in our High street now so it will be a trip to my nearest city as soon as possible

Polarbear2 Mon 05-Apr-21 18:52:03

NotAGran55

John Lewis in Oxford to buy some towels .

Grrrr don’t mention John Lewis. Dirty word in my City. ?

Niobe Mon 05-Apr-21 19:07:43

I will probably head to Marks to stock up on tee shirts as I have just thrown a bagful out. I will follow up with a visit to John Lewis and Dunelm to price new curtains for 3 rooms.
I’m not in a hurry for a haircut as I’m tempted to leave it long ( it’s just past my shoulders and I can put it up now).

NotAGran55 Mon 05-Apr-21 20:00:55

Polarbear2

NotAGran55

John Lewis in Oxford to buy some towels .

Grrrr don’t mention John Lewis. Dirty word in my City. ?

Where are you Polarbear2 ? Birmingham perhaps ?

Lucca Mon 05-Apr-21 20:05:04

gillyknits

Sorry if this has been asked before.
Which non essential shop will you visit first after 12 April.?
I can’t make up my mind whether to go to Dunelm or M&S.

Our m and s has been open for ages !

Amberone Mon 05-Apr-21 20:21:33

Our m and s has been open for ages

Is it just the big ones with food halls that are open? Or do they all have food halls now? I know the two near us have been open all through lock down.

Puzzler61 Mon 05-Apr-21 20:27:26

Our M&S has a food hall on the ground floor and has stayed open. There is a selection of clothing also available on the ground floor, but the first floor has been closed.

Polarbear2 Mon 05-Apr-21 21:27:18

Sheffield. Been there since 1850’s. Will decimate the City Centre. Rumours they are opening a small shop where you can view around 200 items instead of thousands. Then order online. No cafe. Nothing. Going to JL was an event. A nice few hours with friends to browse and have lunch. No more. Very angry people in our City.

BigBertha1 Mon 05-Apr-21 22:16:35

Somewhere for decent make up and a good cup of coffee and a sifa. Hairdo 12.30 on the 12th.

BigBertha1 Mon 05-Apr-21 22:16:47

Sofa!

gulligranny Mon 05-Apr-21 22:22:08

Can't book a haircut yet as my hairdressers aren't taking bookings until tomorrow!

My first shop visit will be to my local Dunelm to get some new pillows and pillowcases.

Bixiboo Mon 05-Apr-21 22:27:47

Same as Katyj. Feel so excited at being able to go to Barkers again, it’s my favourite shop. Will go to Lakeland & Boyes too but also Lewis & Cooper. Hairdressers on 13th April, can’t wait!

JuneRose Mon 05-Apr-21 22:29:10

Primani!

Kittye Mon 05-Apr-21 22:49:43

I’ve had a chop at my own hair and it’s passable, just! so not the hairdressers. It will have to be Pets at Home for bits and pieces for my new puppy ?

rowanflower0 Tue 06-Apr-21 10:40:48

The Range - I need frames for several craft projects and prefer to see them and measure personally.

cookiemonster66 Tue 06-Apr-21 10:41:56

I cannot wait to have a sunbed and sort my skin out, it is the worse it has been since I was a teenager! The Dr prescribes me to have sunbeds at hospital due to my skin condition but I usually just go to a local shop instead of the phaff of hospital. I know after a few sessions my skin will heal and feel more comfortable again, roll on 12th April!!!

Juicylucy Tue 06-Apr-21 10:44:49

As I’ve read most of the shops are attempting to off load stock from a year or so ago I’ll stick to online shopping as you don’t know what your going to be getting from shops for the first 3 moths of them opening.

Ailidh Tue 06-Apr-21 10:48:06

Not sure when I'll get a haircut, my salon just opened their booking phone line today and it's busy!!

First shop will be my local woolshop. I've been supporting their click and collect throughout but nothing beats going in, and viewing the yarn close up!!