Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

First non essential shop visit

(155 Posts)
gillyknits Mon 05-Apr-21 12:35:53

Sorry if this has been asked before.
Which non essential shop will you visit first after 12 April.?
I can’t make up my mind whether to go to Dunelm or M&S.

SparklyGrandma Tue 06-Apr-21 10:52:29

John Lewis, Seasalt, Marks then haircut. Then to Waterstones to browse and drink in the scent of new books....

GrammaH Tue 06-Apr-21 11:02:39

The hairdresser followed by my favourite independent little boutique in our local town. The owner has had a delivery service, an online blog & cheery competitions to keep going through lockdown so deserves a visit and my custom!

Harris27 Tue 06-Apr-21 11:07:28

Katyj I would love to go to barkers in.Northallerton and have tea in bettys tea rooms. A lovely day!

janthegranx6 Tue 06-Apr-21 11:12:04

I can't wait to finger a real wool jumper, stroke a cotton T shirt, Online just dosen't do it and things never fit anyway, so it's Hairdresser, followed by TKMax

Moggycuddler Tue 06-Apr-21 11:12:41

I don't intend going into shops for a long time yet, still don't feel safe. Thank God for the internet - I get everything online.

4allweknow Tue 06-Apr-21 11:13:23

Will wait about a month to allow the manic frenzy to die down before venturing into non essential stores. First trip will be to look for table lamp shades. Will have to travel by car to a park and ride then bus it into town so will also need to consider what's to happen with transport. For some clothing do prefer to actually see the item, especially bras which I find difficult to get a good fit with ordering online.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 06-Apr-21 11:17:07

I'll wait for the initial excitement to die down, then get the bus to town to visit John Lewis for their haberdashery and M&S for some new underwear. Perhaps Waterstones too.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 06-Apr-21 11:19:36

Possibly M&S to buy new bras!!

crazygranny Tue 06-Apr-21 11:20:52

Curtain fabric shop.

jaylucy Tue 06-Apr-21 11:21:28

Sorry, I have to say this, but probably Primark !! Or basically any clothing store!
I definitely won't be going for a few weeks, but I am one of those that likes to look and feel the clothes I am planning to buy. As well as check out the sizing.
Even though I have actually unearthed and am now wearing several items found while sorting out my wardrobe, I realised that I desperately need several replacements for items that I have had and been wearing for 10+ years that are now almost see-through or have holes in!
I'm on a tight budget so shops such as Primark are great !

Neilspurgeon0 Tue 06-Apr-21 11:22:45

Hairdressers, then charity shops, then the library. I don’t really ‘do’ shops as I think buying new things at my time of life, I am 70, is just a waste of what little money I actually have.

As for clothes, I have more than enough.

ALANaV Tue 06-Apr-21 11:26:52

Well, as soon as April 12th was mentioned as the opening of hairdressers, I got online to book .............first appointment MAY ..I think people must have started booking at midnight on the day of the announcement some weeks ago ! so now it will be the nails and pedicure instead.....have to put up with looking like Cousin It for a while longer ............sad

LuckyFour Tue 06-Apr-21 11:27:03

I want to go to Next. DH bought me a dress for Christmas which didn't fit and I took it back just after Christmas before lockdown. There was very little new in so I got a credit note. Can't wait to spend it. However, I've got too many dresses, tops etc. so I hope they have something new and different to offer when they open.

Polly4t42 Tue 06-Apr-21 11:27:51

The fabric shop as I need a couple of plain fat quarters,realised that although I have plenty of patterned fat quarters only had a couple of plain ones and I’ve used those. Begrudge spending on postage for such a little amount of material. Plus I can see the true colours in shop

Teacheranne Tue 06-Apr-21 11:30:39

I’ve got a haircut booked for 11.30am on the 12th - must be one of the first customers!

Twopence Tue 06-Apr-21 11:33:18

Hairdresser, quickly followed by the wool shop to buy buttons for waistcoat knitted during lockdown. Despite having a comprehensive button box, plus two inherited from DM and DMIL, still can't find anything suitable in sufficient quantity. Will probably fall for more wool whilst I'm in there. grin

grannysyb Tue 06-Apr-21 11:36:58

My hairdressers landline was connected to the owner's mobile,so if you rang them and left a message she would ring you back. I booked about five weeks ago. Lewis and Cooper in Northallerton was one if my mother's favourite shops, I grew up in Thirsk.

Froglady Tue 06-Apr-21 11:37:58

It's a toss up between the hairdressers and Hays Travel. I need my hair cutting but I also need to get away somewhere as my already fragile mental health has taken a massive dive.

silverlining48 Tue 06-Apr-21 11:38:21

If we don’t use shops we will lose them. Already JL is closing it’s branches. The roads will be crowded with delivery vans rushing around to Amazon’s tune trying to get everything delivered to time, and also picking up returns....
I don’t buy online and much prefer to wander round and see and feel the merchandise before I buy but won’t be in too much of a hurry.

Shelagh6 Tue 06-Apr-21 11:38:22

Charity shops- love them.

Cuckooz Tue 06-Apr-21 11:38:35

Hobbycraft and TKMaxx - love browsing in those two shops and very rarely come out empty handed! I have an appointment at the hair salon on the 10th May for a much needed cut.

Noreen3 Tue 06-Apr-21 11:44:57

probably Primark,it's not everyone's choice,but I like it.I've been able to go to M&S right through lockdown,and some other clothing stores won't be opening ever again

Quizzer Tue 06-Apr-21 11:52:32

Our nearest John Lewis has been axed. On line is just not the same. sad

Growing0ldDisgracefully Tue 06-Apr-21 11:54:53

Hobbycraft and charity shops - probably lots of choice in those because of people's lockdown clear-outs! Looking forward to being able to sit down ar leisure with a coffee indoors at a coffee shop instead of takeaway and standing in the street downing it quickly before it goes cold.

Edith81 Tue 06-Apr-21 11:56:10

I’m just looking forward to seeing other people around and getting the feel of the shops. I hate online shopping although it’s been a godsend in the last few months.