Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Astra Zeneca Vaccine

(228 Posts)
maddyone Tue 06-Apr-21 17:11:23

It has been reported recently that there is a link between the Astra Zeneca vaccine and blood clots in young women. The Guardian has reported that Marco Cavaleri, the EMA’s head of vaccines said ‘We can say it now, it is clear there is a link with the vaccine.....’ However Europe’s drug regulator has denied it has already established a causal connection between the AstraZeneca vaccine and a rare blood clotting syndrome.
I’m puzzled. The head of EMA says there’s a clear link, then it’s denied. What is going on?

maddyone Tue 06-Apr-21 18:10:12

I’m another who has wondered about young women, the pill, and the vaccine. Obviously there are no answers there yet.

I also believe there have been instances of blood clots with the Pfizer vaccine. I’ve not seen much information about that though.

I also find myself wondering about costs, with the AZ vaccine being sold at cost. There are obviously people who have a vested interest in the success of vaccines other than those which are sold at cost.

I had the Pfizer vaccine and am due my second dose in early May. If it was the AZ vaccine, I would still turn up for it. I’m not a young woman, so would have nothing to fear.

EllanVannin Tue 06-Apr-21 18:15:07

Neither am I a young woman, but it's no use them saying how many have had the vaccination with no side-effects etc, that's not a good enough explanation for me personally.
I know I suffered an adverse effect and am not prepared to take a chance on a second and not be here to tell the tale.

How do they know that everyone will be fine when no pre-testing has been done. How would anyone know whether their blood platelets are faulty ?

I was never told in 2006 why I had to take warfarin as no explanation was given other than A/Fib, but what caused that ?? The haemotologist at the time didn't even have the good manners to lift his head up from whatever he was writing.

I know I have a blood clotting problem which is why I've had to have regular INR'S for the last 15 years, I've never been tested for a platelet problem, nor was my INR tested before the first jab. So no second one for me until someone can be honest and tell me it won't kill me via a clot. Afterall, why did they ask me if I was taking blood-thinners ?

Casdon Tue 06-Apr-21 18:20:03

1 in 240 risk of death from COVID in your fifties Kandinsky, 1 in 600,000 chance of getting a blood clot as a result of the AZ vaccine, but of that number less than a third have died, so it’s about a 1 in 2 million chance of death.
It’s your choice, but don’t expect to be offered a second vaccine of another type in the near future because they are only trialing that at the moment and you won’t be categorised as priority if you have refused the vaccine offered.

PamelaJ1 Tue 06-Apr-21 18:28:59

Well I will be having my second dose. Maybe earlier than planned if the rest of you have got cold feet.

FlexibleFriend Tue 06-Apr-21 18:32:25

I had the AZ vaccine with zero side effects, like EllanVannin I was asked if I was taking blood thinners. I am taking blood thinners but not warfarin and when I told them what I was taking they had no interest. So why not just ask if I was on warfarin. I have a blood clotting disorder which is why I take the blood thinners and very high platelets for which they can find no explanation.

Ellianne Tue 06-Apr-21 18:34:45

if the rest of you have got cold feet

I think it is a bit more for some people than just cold feet. If you have any blood disorder, be you a gran, a young woman or a child, I can understand why they might be apprehensive about having the jab.

BlueSky Tue 06-Apr-21 18:36:38

I believe they are asking whether you are on blood thinners in case you bleed after the jab.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Apr-21 18:37:49

Just talking to DD, and at the moment she is of the opinion that grandson will be able to have the second dose.

SueDonim Tue 06-Apr-21 18:44:23

The information I’ve seen regarding the AZ vaccine seems to say that the clotting disorder only affects under 65’s. Is that because no cases have been reported in older people or is it because the number of clotting cases in older people has stayed at the same level?

I had a flu/headache reaction to the AZ but I’ll be going for my second jag when invited.

Ellianne Tue 06-Apr-21 18:44:28

Is it not people who have a low platelet count who would be at risk?

I am no expert on finding the right research papers to post but my DD read this from the professor at Barts. It might be relevant if anyone has ITP.

www.itpsupport.org.uk/index.php/en/news/coronavirus-covid-19-news/230-covid-19-vaccines-and-blood-clotting-prof-adrian-newland-02-04-2021

Oofy Tue 06-Apr-21 18:46:27

@ Greeneyedgirl; have yet to hear anyone comment whether the low platelets are cause or effect. Clots will use up platelets and may be making them lower.
The risk is very small, though 100% if you happen to be the one who gets it. Said to be lower than occur naturally. Regarding the oral contraceptive, haven't heard of anyone getting it on HRT

Casdon Tue 06-Apr-21 18:47:20

1% of the UK population, and 8% of over 80s are on blood thinners, it’s not an exclusion factor for the vaccine, as Bluesky says the bleeding after the vaccination is the concern - but the centres have protocols and where there are concerns the vaccinations are being done at GP surgeries, where the INR level is monitored.

BlueSky Tue 06-Apr-21 18:50:51

That interesting Ellianne as I have borderline high therefore I was starting feeling uneasy about the second. Yes SueDonim I believe it’s not been reported in the older age group.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 06-Apr-21 18:58:06

It is not just the low platelet effect, which is apparent in this blood clotting effect. It is apparently cytopenia associated cerebral venous sinus thrombosis. Article in Lancet 30th March Oofy.

Mamie Tue 06-Apr-21 19:00:35

BBC reporting that the trial of the vaccine in children has been paused.
www.bbc.com/news/health-56656356

Greeneyedgirl Tue 06-Apr-21 19:19:06

Yes just heard that Mamie.

EllanVannin Tue 06-Apr-21 19:30:31

I've had one TIA, I don't want another. I'd prefer clarity on why this happens.

Katek Tue 06-Apr-21 19:54:34

Describing these events as ‘blood clots’ leaves a bit of a skewed perception. They’re not the more common PE’s DVT’s or TIA’s but an extremely rare brain blood clot. There have been 31 cases detected out of 18 million vaccinations. Only 7 of these 31 cases resulted in death. There is currently no evidence of a causal link to the AZ vaccine and these events may have occurred anyway. % risk is infinitesimal. Every drug carries a risk factor and some drugs are toxic in the extreme.....chemotherapy drugs for instance. So should we refuse the cancer treatment because of the toxicity of the drugs? You have more chance of dying from Covid than a blood clot. Get the vaccine - whichever dose it is - so we can all start on the road to normality.

Witzend Tue 06-Apr-21 19:59:17

I’m due my 2nd jab soon, and will be very grateful for it.

Aveline Tue 06-Apr-21 20:00:43

I'll be rushing to have my second vaccine as soon as I get a date and time for it.

Kandinsky Tue 06-Apr-21 20:12:14

Statistics mean nothing if you’re that ‘one’ - I could be given a 1 in 10 chance of dying of COVID and still not be the ‘one’ who dies.
But I could be that one in a million.

Nanna58 Tue 06-Apr-21 20:17:53

Apparently research shows 1 in 600,000 risk of blood clots for under 60’s v in 1000 death from Covid in same age bracket. Simples !!

Nanna58 Tue 06-Apr-21 20:19:02

Sorry, 1 in a 1000

Alegrias1 Tue 06-Apr-21 20:25:16

I could be the one in 2000 that dies of Covid. That equates to about 4 people in the small town where I live.

Or I could be the one in 2 million people who get a clot in the brain and die with the vaccine. That's fewer than 3 people altogether in the whole of Scotland, where I live. 18 people died of Covid in Scotland, in the last week alone.

The odds of dying from COVID are massively greater than dying from the vaccine. Massively

If further data were needed; the odds of dying by being struck by lightning are 1 in 138,000. So you are 15 times more likely to die by being struck by lightning than from the vaccine.

foxie48 Tue 06-Apr-21 20:42:43

I have no hesitation in having my 2nd AZ jab later this month. everything we do carries risk but I am definitely more at risk of dying from Covid than I am from having the vaccine. Actually I'm probably more at risk from dying in my car, anyone out there not going to leave their house? Well you are probably more at risk of dying in your bathroom. Honestly, get a grip and avoid bees, wasps and hornets, an average of 62 people die each year in the UK from their sting!.