Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Why are arrivals from India not being sent to quarantine hotels?

(89 Posts)
GrandmaKT Thu 08-Apr-21 20:52:57

I saw in the news this morning that New Zealand have temporarily suspended flights from India due to the rapidly escalating Covid rate. (Prior to this all arrivals from India and from anywhere else had to go to a quarantine hotel for 2 weeks).
Here in the UK, not only are flights still coming in from India, but passengers don't even have to go into the quarantine hotels and are allowed to go home to self-isolate.

nanna8 Wed 21-Apr-21 12:34:05

Not = Into

MayBee70 Wed 21-Apr-21 12:38:34

Alegrias1

^Infection rate is doubling at an alarming rate. It is known to have taken over from the other variants in the country including the U.K. one. It is the dominant virus in India. At what point does it become ‘of concern’ and a killer? When are we going to learn a lesson and be one step ahead of this virus and not constantly playing catch-up. It may not be as dangerous as it seems but best to assume it is and take immediate action. This virus thrives on complacency.^

They've all been killers from the start.

It becomes "of concern" when the scientists believe its....of concern. That's a scientific term, not a random phrase that the tabloids use to try to scare us.

The infamous "double mutant" (ohhh, scary...) is a combination of the Brazil variant and the Californian one.

We mustn't be complacent but we mustn't think very bit of news that comes out about variants is a disaster.

And the U.K. variant is the reason why infection rates across Europe are out of control. This variant should have been nipped in the bud, given that it was known about for some time because of our genomic sequencing.

Lillie Wed 21-Apr-21 12:48:45

I have no idea if these are extra planes but looking on Heathrow arrivals today:

6.55 from Mumbai
7.30 Delhi
11.30 Mumbai
pm Delhi
etc

and so it goes on. And how many does each plane carry?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 21-Apr-21 18:26:17

Heathrow Airport has announced it is not allowing any extra flights from India.

MayBee70 Thu 22-Apr-21 14:35:33

India has now had the largest infection increase of any country since the start of the pandemic. Are alarm bells starting to ring here now?

MayBee70 Thu 22-Apr-21 14:36:30

Or am I scaremongering?

JaneJudge Thu 22-Apr-21 15:40:03

India is a developing country and countries with widespread poverty do appear to have taken the hardest hit from the pandemic. It was always going to be the case they would struggle to cope in certain areas of the country. I don't mean that in a heartless way, I think it is really sad and the pain and loss inflicted by the virus has been too awful to contemplate.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 22-Apr-21 16:01:22

The government is hoping to do a trade deal with India, maybe that is something to with it.

Sarnia Thu 22-Apr-21 16:30:55

It is illegal for me to book a flight to India but perfectly ok for thousands to swan into the UK having just left a country riddled with Covi-19 and double variants. When, oh when, will we ever learn?

JaneJudge Thu 22-Apr-21 16:34:20

I have sympathy with individuals though sad I know none of you agree with me, which is fine as I understand where you are coming from too!

AGAA4 Thu 22-Apr-21 16:42:37

India is on the red list from tomorrow. Just hope it is not too late. Boris is not going there now.

MayBee70 Thu 22-Apr-21 16:46:00

Absolutely. There are always grey areas and we are dealing with people and their lives. Mind you, on top of this is the fact that this government has reduced overseas aid to poor countries: countries that need that money more than ever now. And we will never be over this pandemic until the poorest countries in the world are over it too.

rodneyg519 Thu 22-Apr-21 16:47:46

I thought it was.

maddyone Thu 22-Apr-21 18:17:40

Barmeyoldbat

The government is hoping to do a trade deal with India, maybe that is something to with it.

Absolutely Barmey, I think that’s the nub of it.

maddyone Thu 22-Apr-21 19:16:11

Sarnia

It is illegal for me to book a flight to India but perfectly ok for thousands to swan into the UK having just left a country riddled with Covi-19 and double variants. When, oh when, will we ever learn?

This is why it’s so annoying. We are not allowed to travel abroad (not that I want to just at the moment) but thousands can swan into this country and not even have to isolate when they arrive, till tomorrow anyway when enforced quarantine begins. What’s the point of chasing the Indian variant round London, testing everyone, but letting thousands in who will not be made to isolate? We know from bitter experience that many who are asked to isolate at home don’t bother. Will all these people bother to isolate voluntarily? The last year has shown us that they won’t.

Alegrias1 Thu 22-Apr-21 20:22:39

It's illegal to travel abroad for holidays. Neither you nor I know why these people are flying here from India but I saw a report about one man who had left the UK, his home, to go to his mother's funeral in India, and now wanted to come home again.

The use of the term "swanning into this country" implies that these people have no right to be here and and just going to flaunt the rules as soon as they arrive.

Johnny Foreigner, eh?

JaneJudge Thu 22-Apr-21 20:26:50

I hadn't even considered people might think people had gone to India on holiday atm confused I assumed most people would be there for work or family commitments.

JaneJudge Thu 22-Apr-21 20:27:41

but I have already been told off for assuming things confused

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 20:31:02

Alegrias1

It's illegal to travel abroad for holidays. Neither you nor I know why these people are flying here from India but I saw a report about one man who had left the UK, his home, to go to his mother's funeral in India, and now wanted to come home again.

The use of the term "swanning into this country" implies that these people have no right to be here and and just going to flaunt the rules as soon as they arrive.

Johnny Foreigner, eh?

I agree with you on this.

Alegrias1 Thu 22-Apr-21 20:32:18

I was just pointing out JaneJudge that the statement that we are not allowed to travel abroad is not correct.

I was just reading an article about someone who studies in the UK but went (home) to India several months ago, if he doesn't come back here soon his Visa will be revoked. We don't know the circumstances these people are facing and I think its very unfair when they are all portrayed as irresponsible.

MayBee70 Thu 22-Apr-21 20:35:08

I can assure you, Algeria’s, that I am not foreigner bashing and it’s wrong of you to just pick up on the one post that does sound a bit like that. I can also assure you that I am just concerned that there is a potentially dangerous variant that is already in this country and if we end up with community spread of it we’re in big trouble. And if we do it’s because the government have, yet again acted too late. This virus has no brain and can’t move on its own and yet it is outwitting us at every turn. It’s about time we used a bit if common sense and outwitted it. The people travelling back from India are then travelling to their homes, going to work, schools, shopping probably with no controls in place to stop it.

Alegrias1 Thu 22-Apr-21 20:40:50

I don't think you used the phrase "swanning in" Maybee70? My post was directed at the people who did.

I agree that the WM government has acted too late in putting India on the Red List. Of course in Scotland everyone has to go into quarantine hotels, irrespective of where they come from. Have done for weeks.

maddyone Thu 22-Apr-21 22:58:05

I used the term ‘swanning in’ and I can assure those of you who took a high handed tone with me, that it’s nothing whatsoever to do with ‘Johnny foreigner’ and I think that assumption is quite rude. Alegrias and GrannyGravy neither of you knew that I was thinking these people are Johnny Foreigner because I didn’t say that, you did! And had the nerve to assign that thought to me! I could have termed it arriving in Britain, because that is precisely what these people are doing. They may well have been working, or visiting family, but the fact is that they are arriving here from one of the worst affected countries in the world and until tomorrow there is no requirement for mandatory quarantine for them. If you’re happy about that, well I’m not! I’ve already had a bad dose of the virus and I don’t want another one via a different variant, and I think all those arriving from India should have been on the obligatory quarantine list some time ago. If you don’t like my views, tough! I’m not going to change them on your account.

maddyone Thu 22-Apr-21 23:00:25

MayBee70

I can assure you, Algeria’s, that I am not foreigner bashing and it’s wrong of you to just pick up on the one post that does sound a bit like that. I can also assure you that I am just concerned that there is a potentially dangerous variant that is already in this country and if we end up with community spread of it we’re in big trouble. And if we do it’s because the government have, yet again acted too late. This virus has no brain and can’t move on its own and yet it is outwitting us at every turn. It’s about time we used a bit if common sense and outwitted it. The people travelling back from India are then travelling to their homes, going to work, schools, shopping probably with no controls in place to stop it.

Quite!

MayBee70 Thu 22-Apr-21 23:15:51

Hope for the best but plan for the worst is what this country should have been doing but isn’t. The chances are that vaccination will protect us from this new variant but we don’t actually know that for sure. And no one knows for sure if having had covid already protects against the new variant either. All the countries around India were on the red list so why wasn’t India?