Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Up to 5 years jail and massive fines

(12 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 01-May-21 08:42:06

For those trying to come to Australia from India. This was announced yesterday by the Australian government. I think it was necessary but the harshest penalty they have had, ever, for trying to return to Australia. I feel so sorry for those stranded but I suppose, given the absolute pig’s ear made of vaccinating people here, it is deemed necessary.

Sago Sat 01-May-21 10:11:29

At the moment 5 years in an Australian prison is preferable to Indian living.

Ashcombe Sat 01-May-21 10:18:25

I feel so sorry for those stranded but I suppose, given the absolute pig’s ear made of vaccinating people here, it is deemed necessary.

nanna8 Do you mean in Australia? Or is it a typo and should say “there”?

Lollin Sat 01-May-21 10:26:31

They are not the only ones left unable to return are they though, unless you are a celebrity - speaks volumes!

nanna8 Sat 01-May-21 14:59:01

I mean in Australia. Not many of us are vaccinated. It is very,very slow.

welbeck Sat 01-May-21 16:07:44

i think it's a good policy.
the testing regime is not fool-proof.
and esp as the vaccination pogramme is behind schedule, all the more reason to keep cases out.

nanna8 Mon 03-May-21 08:28:34

What I am wondering here is how come a bunch of American actors who are filming in Melbourne are allowed in? They are not citizens. People with citizenship are denied entry, with reason, but that also means Americans shouldn’t be allowed in. Inconsistent. Money talks.

Billybob4491 Mon 03-May-21 09:06:47

You have answered your own question Nanna - money talks.

olddudders Mon 03-May-21 10:23:20

Billybob4491

You have answered your own question Nanna - money talks.

And prestige. Plenty of countries in the world where the citizenry are treated like garbage, but tourism and high-profile sports are encouraged, to make the politicians feel they have arrived in the world elite. Inviting Hollywood on board is the same thing.

I have been under the impression for many years that Oz has had a very particular view about immigration, and who is welcome. As for its history with the indigenous people, well.....

maddyone Mon 03-May-21 21:17:12

I don’t understand why Australian citizens are not allowed to go home because with the two week quarantine that’s in place there, any cases of Covid should show up during that time.

MayBee70 Mon 03-May-21 22:42:50

I think the problem is that people aren’t flying directly from India to Australia but getting round it by flying to other places and then onto Australia.

hondagirl Tue 04-May-21 08:13:34

The main problem is that the existing quarantine arrangements would not be able to cope with the increased number of positive cases which allowing citizens returning from India would result in.