Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Astra Zeneca Vaccine side effect ?

(112 Posts)
jude2006 Tue 04-May-21 15:19:09

Very interested to know if anyone has suffered from very itchy spots and rash after having the Astra Zeneca vaccine.
I have just had my second vaccination and once again suffering from a very itchy rash and spots which can develop on any part of my body, trunk, arms and legs. The spots or rash will gradually fade only to reappear days later. this has been going on for weeks!
After the first vaccination all seemed OK until after approximately six weeks, so it wasn't an immediate reaction. In fact I probably wouldn't have linked it with the vaccine had the itching not become so intense after having the second jab.
I should also mention that I have had blood tests, which have come back OK, even my GP is at a loss to know what's causing it and antihistamines are not helping.
I look forward to hearing if anyone has suffered anything similar.

Urmstongran Tue 04-May-21 21:26:03

Glad to see you on here Marydoll. x

Marydoll Tue 04-May-21 21:32:24

Urms, ?
I forgot to mention, the nausea has started again. Thank goodness I was given a stash of anti sickness pills, just in case!!!! ?
That vaccine is a clever one. It lulls you into a false sense of security, then four days in, WHAM! ???. I have slept most of today.

JaneJudge Tue 04-May-21 21:40:55

It does seem to affect some people more than others, I slept the whole day after too but think I had it last Feb and I'm very sensitive to medicine etc anyway

jude2006 Wed 05-May-21 09:28:45

Thanks everyone, I will definitely report this using the yellow card system to the MHRA.
I am also having a phone call from my GP today, so it will be interesting to see what he has to say !

SecondhandRose Wed 05-May-21 10:39:56

I have suffered with hives for four years. It does sound like hives. Get yourself some 99% aloe vera gel from Amazon or H&B. It is a life saver. It takes the burn and itch away. I would also suggest you ask your GP for a full blood count blood test just to exclude anything else.

greenlady102 Wed 05-May-21 10:46:29

I know a couple of people who have had rashy side effects to covid vacs so yes it is a thing. I had the fluey/achey shivery reaction. if you do get side effects (or think they might be) then please do report them here. yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk

Pammie1 Wed 05-May-21 10:48:32

I didn’t have the rash after the AZ vaccine but both myself and partner had a rash very much like you describe when we both had Covid back in February. During our recovery the rash came and went and although we still have ongoing problems with exhaustion and chest infections, the rash finally disappeared a couple of weeks ago. Are you sure you haven’t had Covid and maybe the rash was the only symptom. Have you been tested ?

grandtanteJE65 Wed 05-May-21 10:50:55

My cousin who is 84 had the AstraZenica vaccine.

After the first one, she had a week feeling rotton and quite unable to remember basic things such as having put food to heat, which is most unlike her. She felt disorientated most of the time.

After the second vaccination, she had itchiness all up and down her arms, legs and back, ,but none of the symptoms from the first time.

I don't know anyone else who has had the AstraZenica vaccination.

I have had the first of mine, which is the PfizerBiontech one and apart from a slight soreness for a day round the vaccination site, no ill effects at all.

dumdum Wed 05-May-21 10:54:20

I have Lichen Sclerosus an auto immune condition which can cause severe itching, particularly in the genital region. After Ist vacc I itched, similarly after the second. Used hydrocortisone cream (used for bites) which helped resolve it. Obviously caused it to flare slightly, although have had worse flare ups.

olliebeak Wed 05-May-21 10:54:54

I've had two doses of Astra-Zeneca and have no 'side-effects' whatsoever.

Beginning to feel 'left out' envyconfusedsad!

timetogo2016 Wed 05-May-21 10:56:20

Your not alone Jude2006.
I have an itchy rash on my back and it`s driving me bonkers,also numb tongue itchy throat,oh the list goes on.
Dreading my second one.
Hope you feel better soon and any other Gransnetter who are suffering.

Pammie1 Wed 05-May-21 10:56:50

Just as an after thought - I re-read the posts upthread. My advice to anyone who develops a rash is to get a Covid test. When I was contacted by test and trace after we developed Covid, one of the symptoms they asked about was a rash and when I said we both had one, they documented the details, advising that were seeing more and more cases accompanied by a rash. They were also seeing more and more people who had tested positive and the rash was the only symptom. The rash we had was mainly on the torso, red and itchy and was accompanied by hive like bumps under the skin. It was present for the full two weeks that we experienced other Covid symptoms and was one of the last symptoms to disappear completely.

railman Wed 05-May-21 10:57:47

Yes - and have used a hydrocortisone ointment to treat them. I'd also reported this under the Zoe Symptom Study project - it seems more common than I'd thought. My first jab was in the first week of February - when it was very cold, and I was using alcohol based hand gel like everyone, which made me think it was just the drying of the skin in cold weather.

netty54 Wed 05-May-21 10:58:18

i had side effect of a major headache ,stayed at fore head.i went to bed could not do anything else.but i know 3 people had same reaction,this was our first jabs am dreading second.

Rumpunch Wed 05-May-21 11:07:50

I was very tired after my first dose of AZ and thought that was it. I like others, never connected the itchy skin I had on the trunk of my body. No rash, just itchy skin. It was around that time. Due for my next one in about 3 weeks, so I'll make a note if it returns.

busymumval Wed 05-May-21 11:08:51

Is the rash very painful, I’ve experienced this too, is not the vaccine that caused it, but the fact it put your immune system low, if you’ve had chicken pox in the past it will have sparked off shingles.

Polremy Wed 05-May-21 11:13:34

Brother in law had the rash and itchiness OP described. GP said it was a known vaccine symptom.

Sharman Wed 05-May-21 11:14:28

I had no side effect with the first AZ vaccine but have got the itchy rash now with the second one.

Shortlegs Wed 05-May-21 11:15:59

I have to say I'm disappointed. I have now had my second jab and still no communication from Bill Gates. I'm starting to think that my implanted chip may be faulty.

Flo53 Wed 05-May-21 11:21:12

I only had fluey symptoms after the first dose and felt very tired the day after. Having the second one next week. When the surgery receptionist phoned to book us in, she said they are finding that those who had side effects the first time had nothing the second. We shall see! Hope your rash goes.

Theoddbird Wed 05-May-21 11:21:39

No side affects on first or second. I think that sometimes things that happened after vaccine were blamed on it even though it was probably not the cause

Lynnenana Wed 05-May-21 11:26:48

I had the usual flu symptoms same day as first vaccine then that night developed worst headache ever which last three weeks and is still bothering me. I reported the symptoms and am dreading the second vaccine due any day now. But far worse to get the virus I guess. I also have had itchy back.

valsdomain Wed 05-May-21 11:29:53

I have very itchy skin also but I had the Pfizer vaccine. I have a couple of patches that I could scratch to bits! It is more like an eczema patch to look at then fades then comes back. Have eliminated most things that I thought may be the cause but now you say this I’m thinking maybe it is a reaction to the vaccine. Using E45 for itchy skin which helps but doesn’t cure.

EllanVannin Wed 05-May-21 11:37:50

Just one AZ vaccine is enough for me. I yellow-carded the symptoms just in case there's any come-back for not having any more.
It felt for all the world as though I'd had another TIA and I certainly don't want another.

Mrsdof Wed 05-May-21 11:39:25

I also had flu like symptoms with terrible headache after first Pfizer vaccine. Had the second 2 weeks ago and have got red itchy patches on my arms and tummy. Didn’t connect this to the vaccine until reading this thread but now I’m beginning to wonder!