Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Astra Zeneca Vaccine side effect ?

(112 Posts)
jude2006 Tue 04-May-21 15:19:09

Very interested to know if anyone has suffered from very itchy spots and rash after having the Astra Zeneca vaccine.
I have just had my second vaccination and once again suffering from a very itchy rash and spots which can develop on any part of my body, trunk, arms and legs. The spots or rash will gradually fade only to reappear days later. this has been going on for weeks!
After the first vaccination all seemed OK until after approximately six weeks, so it wasn't an immediate reaction. In fact I probably wouldn't have linked it with the vaccine had the itching not become so intense after having the second jab.
I should also mention that I have had blood tests, which have come back OK, even my GP is at a loss to know what's causing it and antihistamines are not helping.
I look forward to hearing if anyone has suffered anything similar.

Pammie1 Fri 07-May-21 12:34:25

Has anyone reporting nasty side effects with the second dose of vaccine had Covid in between the first and second doses ? We had our first AZ vaccine at the beginning of February and both of us developed Covid quite badly in mid February. When we went for second jab last week I mentioned that we had had Covid soon after the first jab. The nurse said we may experience worsened side effects as a result. We didn’t get a rash but she was right about the worsened effects, which lasted a couple of days.

Photocrazy Thu 06-May-21 20:54:15

Netty 54 and Katyvic

I had a headache like no other I've ever had which lasted for 2 days, nothing would take it away and most of the other symptoms too.
I spoke to the lady before she did my 2nd vaccine and she said she had been the same with her first one and had nothing at all with the 2nd one.
And I was very relieved that I didn't have any either. Also other people have said the same about the AZ one.

Katyvic Thu 06-May-21 20:19:54

I had COVID a year ago with thankfully mild symptoms for 3 weeks and no lasting effects. I had terrible side effects after Astra Zeneca dose 1 and I’m seriously considering not having dose 2. I think after having had COVID plus 1 dose of vaccine I’ll have enough protection although I admit I’ve no evidence of this and could be wrong. I just don’t feel like going through another 2 days same as before.

Casdon Thu 06-May-21 13:22:21

You’ll get a different vaccine anyway in the Autumn jude2006, they are doing trials to see which combinations of the different types of vaccine offer the best overall protection.

jude2006 Thu 06-May-21 11:03:24

Good morning everyone, just wanted to let you know that I have spoken to my GP. He has told me to continue with Fexofenadine Tabs, one tablet during the day, and then Chlorphenamine Tabs, one tablet at night (they are both antihistamines) and to use Hydrocortisone Cream as necessary. When I asked the GP about the connection to the vaccine he didn't comment!!!
Hopefully this combination will work and the rashes and itching will settle.
There is talk now that we're all to have a third jab in the autumn; well, next time knowing how my body has reacted, I will ask for a different vaccine.
Thanks everyone for taking such an interest, it has really helped reading everyone else's experiences.

Casdon Thu 06-May-21 10:39:40

Kryptonite you need to keep the risk in proportion, only four people have reported blood clots after the second dose of Astra Zeneca in the UK, and nobody has died. I don’t know what proportion of second vaccines were AZ, but over 16million people have had their second vaccine, so if it’s half AZ, your risk is one in 4 million. Add to that the fact that most blood clots of this type were in younger people - I think you can sleep safely, you’ve got far more chance of having a car accident or similar.

BlueRuby Thu 06-May-21 10:33:15

No reaction at all, to either dose.

BlueSky Thu 06-May-21 10:11:39

maddyone

“Kryptonite, I had Pfizer, very few side effects, but people have had blood clots after the Pfizer vaccine too.”
Exactly maddyone.

grannybuy Thu 06-May-21 00:27:31

Since my first Pfizer jab, I've had an ache from my armpits going down my arms. It comes and goes.

Longdistancegrnny Wed 05-May-21 23:55:28

I have now had both AZ jabs, I had itchy skin on the backs of my thighs - very hot to the touch - tbh initially I thought I must have left loo cleaner on the toilet seat and had a sort of chemical burn! But not really a rash, just slightly bumpy dryish skin, did wonder if it was vaccine related, also have an itchy back, mainly in the evening. No other reaction to the jab, felt perfectly normal as did DH who had Pfizer. But I do know lots of people who have had headaches and shivery episodes for a day or two after.

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 22:49:19

Kryptonite, I had Pfizer, very few side effects, but people have had blood clots after the Pfizer vaccine too. It’s not been very well reported and there may well be fewer, I don’t know. The chances of a blood clot after the AZ vaccine are minute, but the chances of a blood clot if you get Covid are anything but minute, it’s a real possibility.

Kryptonite Wed 05-May-21 21:48:33

Just reading these posts is making me itch! I am absolutely dreading 2nd AZ vaccination. Side effects ofvgirst one were were fluey symptoms, shivering initially but quickly went away. My biggest concern is blood clots. Seriously scared as some people are now getting this with 2nd dose. I'd rather have Pfizer.

Elvis58 Wed 05-May-21 21:38:46

A headache for 2 days that was it!

mokryna Wed 05-May-21 20:08:45

Yes, yes, yes. Oh dear I thought it was me. They came up just on my trunk, very itchy, only for five days, thank goodness. I do suffer from allergies but they come out in the form of terrible asthma attacks. (I do carry medication around with me.) The spots were very painful if I accidentally scratched them.

BlueSky Wed 05-May-21 19:52:18

Well done Marydoll! flowers

Marydoll Wed 05-May-21 19:30:40

I have had both vaccinations Bluesky, but not before some lengthy discussions with GP and consultants.
I was the one who insisted on having it, in the face of clinicians' reservations, since I do not wish to spend the rest of my life shielding!

BlueSky Wed 05-May-21 18:55:30

Marydoll I feel for you and people in similar circumstances, when you know that given your existing ailments and medication, you are likely to experience bad side effects but you still need to get vaccinated!

Marydoll Wed 05-May-21 18:22:36

Possibly, in some cases Bluesky. However, given my medical history I KNOW it's a consequence of the vaccine, confirmed by my GP.

BlueSky Wed 05-May-21 18:04:06

Just wondered whether such varied ailments could just be coincidence and would have happened in any case but having had the jab we tend to blame that. We had nothing at all both times, actually thinking perhaps it didn’t work!

moobox Wed 05-May-21 17:35:05

Yes, my husband has had the itchy rash after the first one, and ongoing.

clareken Wed 05-May-21 16:52:54

The only reaction I had to my first vaccination was I slept the entire next day away. Was awake for about two hours from bedtime Friday to Sunday morning. The only other thing was the injection site was sore for about a week. Haven't had my second yet.

kathyd Wed 05-May-21 16:35:00

Had both AZ jabs. No effects whatsoever either time.

lizzypopbottle Wed 05-May-21 16:15:16

Someone I know is experiencing very similar symptoms! I don't know if she's had the jab. She's a good bit younger than me. I'll try and find out though....

LuckyFour Wed 05-May-21 15:57:41

Had both vaccinations, second one two weeks ago. No reactions whatsoever. I had the Ffizer jab.

Marydoll Wed 05-May-21 15:54:16

It has just taken me an hour to report the side effects, as I'm on so much medication.
If it helps the research, it was time well spent.