Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Indian delegation to London forced to isolate

(28 Posts)
maddyone Wed 05-May-21 11:27:00

The Guardian has reported today that the entire delegation from India to the G7 summit in London has been forced to isolate following two members testing positive for Covid upon arrival in Britain.
Am I alone in thinking that it’s foolhardy to be holding such international meetings whilst Covid is still so prevalent in much of the world?

MayBee70 Wed 05-May-21 15:29:13

Aren’t they saying that people can come from India and stay for two years as well? That’ll go down well with those who voted brexit because they didn’t want people coming to the country and taking our jobs. Not that anyone did vote for brexit for that reason of course.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-May-21 14:23:42

I suppose this is mostly to do with our desperation for trade deals.

Apparently most of the deals that Truss has done so far are only temporary and will need to be dealt with later down the line.

Desperation is never a good look I find, especially when it comes with Covid.

suziewoozie Wed 05-May-21 14:15:37

Australia, India and South Korea invited as guest nations

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 13:58:36

Do we know if more people are coming from India, or are the ones already here staying for the Cornwall meeting? Come to that, are more people coming from any other countries, or are they all staying?

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 13:56:03

You couldn’t make it up!

suziewoozie Wed 05-May-21 13:52:50

Yes - this is a sort of preliminary one ( to see how well they can introduce another variant it appears) ?

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 13:49:14

What! Are there two meetings?

muse Wed 05-May-21 13:42:27

Then the G7 summit meeting in Cornwall next month.

MayBee70 Wed 05-May-21 13:35:57

Is it true that Patel isn’t going to self isolate because she was wearing a mask? Which means that people that are contacted to say they’ve been near to an infected person anywhere can just refuse to self isolate because they were wearing a mask. Even if they probably had it under their chin or nose etc.

Esspee Wed 05-May-21 13:35:12

maddyone

We shouldn’t have invited anyone in my humble opinion, but given that we have, the invitation to India to participate in person should have been rescinded and a zoom option offered, given the situation in India just now. And if none of that happened, then India should have declined to come, given their situation at home. The two who have tested positive have travelled all the way from India on planes, no doubt using taxis/official cars, mixed at airports, and must be accommodated somewhere, presumably hotels. All those opportunities to spread the virus. Ludicrous!

I agree wholeheartedly maddyone.

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 13:31:13

suzie yes, we’re saying the same thing.

suziewoozie Wed 05-May-21 13:29:21

maddyone

We shouldn’t have invited anyone in my humble opinion, but given that we have, the invitation to India to participate in person should have been rescinded and a zoom option offered, given the situation in India just now. And if none of that happened, then India should have declined to come, given their situation at home. The two who have tested positive have travelled all the way from India on planes, no doubt using taxis/official cars, mixed at airports, and must be accommodated somewhere, presumably hotels. All those opportunities to spread the virus. Ludicrous!

Crossed posts

suziewoozie Wed 05-May-21 13:28:39

Lillie

Think of it the other way round. Why didn't the Indian delegation decline the invitation in view of the circumstances in their country?

No the question is wtf did we invite them ?

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 13:28:00

suziewoozie Wed 05-May-21 13:27:31

I wonder how many UK residents the infected men have been in contact with - I don’t mean just the others in meetings with them but ordinary workers - cleaners, waiters etc?? I don’t suppose they count

Sarnia Wed 05-May-21 13:23:11

EllanVannin

Australia won't allow their citizens into the country---way to go

They have a PM with a backbone.

Sarnia Wed 05-May-21 13:21:55

India is not in the G7 so did not need to be at the table in person. Even if they were in the G7 is there nobody with one iota of common sense who would look at the state India is in at the moment and decide it would be best not to travel? Ye Gods, haven't we suffered enough? Now there is a chink of light at the end of the tunnel we risk going back a few steps. Who have they been merrily mixing with and spreading it around? Of course, now Boris is basking in the glory of the vaccine programme he wants to be able to trumpet his wonderful trade deals; India being one of them. Shameful.

Riverwalk Wed 05-May-21 12:49:14

India isn't even in the G7!

But we have to be nice and invite them because of the trade deals - let's see how they turn out.

suziewoozie Wed 05-May-21 12:37:22

It’s the optics just the optics - look how important we are travelling thousands of miles to go to a meeting, just look. Look how important we are standing outside the FCO in order to elbow bump with lots of other people who’ve travelled thousands of miles to see us. Look, look , look. ?

Lillie Wed 05-May-21 12:35:26

Think of it the other way round. Why didn't the Indian delegation decline the invitation in view of the circumstances in their country?

sodapop Wed 05-May-21 12:29:48

Obviously at any price MayBee

MayBee70 Wed 05-May-21 12:21:58

But we want a trade deal with them. That’s what it’s all about....

sodapop Wed 05-May-21 12:19:05

Ridiculous situation, should not even have been considered given the current problems in India. How much equipment, care etc could be bought using the money wasted on sending this delegation. That's without the obvious risks to all and sundry.

MayBee70 Wed 05-May-21 12:17:46

It’s crazy. Zoom meetings are working really well and I think it’s the way forward: reducing air miles etc. One of the side effects of the pandemic seems to be a total lack of common sense in people that should know better.

EllanVannin Wed 05-May-21 11:50:53

Australia won't allow their citizens into the country---way to go