Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Really upset by GP's receptionist attitude

(204 Posts)
GrandmaTrisha Wed 05-May-21 12:00:42

I had my first vaccine jab via my GP's surgery on 11th Feb and it was the Phizer one. I am due my second one tomorrow 6th May.
On 22nd April, I received a text from them to ask me to book my next appointment but we had booked a last minute break for the following week, getting back on 30th April. I got another text the following day 'reminding me' to book this & I replied to say that we were away but that I would log onto the link every day to take the first appointment that became available after we got back. Up till now, they have run vaccine clinics on both Tuesdays & Thursdays so I didn't think there would be a problem with this.
I know they are doing sessions this week because my husband who had the AZ one has managed to book an appointment for tomorrow.
Since I got the texts from the GP, I've logged onto the link every day as requested but no appointments at all have become available.
This morning I had to visit the GP's surgery for a physio appointment & my appointment was for 10:45. I got there at 10:40, rang the bell & was told by the receptionist to wait outside until the physio was free. I then received a phone call almost 15mins later from the physio to ask where I was as I was late for my appointment. I told him I had been waiting outside in the cold for over 15 mins! He came & let me in and as I walked past the receptionist, she just stared at me, no apology whatsoever for forgetting I was left standing out there.
On my way out, I took the opportunity to speak to this 'lady' to ask her when I could expect to be able to book a 2nd vaccine appointment as I couldn't seem to do this via their link only to be told ' we haven't got any Phizer vaccine, you will have to ring up next week & see if we've got any' I said I was concerned that my 12 weeks was up tomorrow but her reply was 'well, you aren't on your own' I asked her if I could book an appointment to get the job done elsewhere else to which she replied 'you can if you want to try but you won't know what vaccine they are giving till you get there so you could just be wasting your time' That appeared to be the end of the conversation as far as she was concerned.
I fully understand that had I not been on holiday, then an appointment may have been available but it was this woman's whole dismissive and lmost rude attitude towards me that upset me, almost as if I was just a nuisance.
I got home in tears & will just have to play the waiting game now.

Msida Wed 05-May-21 14:28:15

Can I just say it's not just your GP receptionist

Our GP re receptionist was so rude and un caring

I could not understand how she was allowed to continue being do rude

I had words with her a few times

But this one time I was in the que and in front of me speaking to the said receptionist was sn elderly quite un well gentleman

He was trying to get sn appointments and she was being her usual bitchy self

I couldn't stand it any longer, honestly, how could this dreadful women be allowed to treat people in this manner

After having a words with her I officially complained about this monster and shortly after much to Everyones delight she was gone

I obviously was not the only person that had complained about her but my letter was adament that she should not be dealing with vulnerable people that need care not abuse.

Bridgeit Wed 05-May-21 14:28:55

I also assumed rightly or wrongly that because the OP had been on holiday that she was fairly mobile/ fit.

MayBee70 Wed 05-May-21 15:25:42

Doodledog

*Maybee*, we have been told not to contact the surgery unless it is an emergency. I doubt that the receptionists would be pleased to have the switchboard blocked with callers thanking them for their vaccine.

I'm sure most people thank the vaccinators when they get their jabs, and also the receptionist (if they speak to one rather than booking themselves in online) when they make their appointment. Why would they also call the surgery specially to thank them again?

I didn’t mean phoning them them in the current climate. I meant it as a general comment. Having said that a little card in the post saying thank you for dealing with my vaccination so efficiently wouldn’t go amiss.

Redhead56 Wed 05-May-21 16:18:33

You have tried your upmost to get the second vaccination no doubt. Next time you need to go to the surgery remind yourself of the way you were treated. Unless you decide to see the practise manager about this intolerable behaviour.

I was with my DIL when the twins were just out of Neonatal intensive care she had to nip to the Drs for prescriptions for them. The receptionist spoke to her in a totally ignorant off hand manner about prescription being mixed up. The medication was essential for them my DIL was stressed about them needing it and having to go back. She walked out with no meds to take home and in tears. I was sitting in the car I walked in the surgery and told the receptionist who I was. I said I was not happy with the way she had spoken to my DIL . The medication was supposed to be ready and I would not leave until it was sorted.

The practise manager was there and intervened and did get the prescription ready for me to take. There was no apology from the receptionist but she will think again about speaking like that to my DIL again. You don’t have to be rude with jobs worthy people you have to be firm and stand your ground.

suziewoozie Wed 05-May-21 16:30:03

Bridgeit

I also assumed rightly or wrongly that because the OP had been on holiday that she was fairly mobile/ fit.

Oh dear - you can go on holiday whilst not being mobile you know?

GrandmaTrisha Wed 05-May-21 19:06:37

Thanks everyone for your help, advice and support. I emailed the surgery this afternoon to explain everything and they have just replied.
They expect a delivery of the Pfizer vaccine next Monday with vaccines being scheduled for Thursday. That’s put my mind at rest. ?

maddyone Wed 05-May-21 20:24:09

Great result GrandmaTrisha. Well done.

Ro60 Wed 05-May-21 20:32:51

Great news. Hope you can relax now. Have a good evening.

Bridgeit Wed 05-May-21 21:30:59

Suziewoozie, you have extrapolated an entirely different interpretation from my comment .

suziewoozie Wed 05-May-21 22:25:35

Bridgeit

Suziewoozie, you have extrapolated an entirely different interpretation from my comment .

What did you mean then?

Bridgeit Thu 06-May-21 09:47:09

Suziewoozie, Please do Tell me what path it is that you that you are trying to lead me down.

Alexa Thu 06-May-21 09:56:33

The receptionist probably did mot mean to be rude, which she was. She was badly trained. I hope you have more luck with practice manager but don't raise your hopes. If you had burst into tears at the reception desk you might have made your point but the woman would probably have kept right on with her arrogant manners.

B9exchange Thu 06-May-21 10:03:44

Forgetting to tell the physio you had arrived was an error and certainly an apology was due. But your conversation with her afterwards is so difficult to judge without hearing the tone of voice, seeing the facial expressions. It seems the information she was giving you was factually correct, with one error. If you use the www.nhs.uk website to book your second vaccine it knows which one you had for the first, and will only offer you appointments for the same type. So you might like to write a perfectly pleasant letter to the practice manager about being forgotten, and being given incorrect advice, but I wouldn't launch into a complaint against the individual. Being labelled a complainer can sometimes count against you in the future.

nanna8 Thu 06-May-21 10:06:09

The practice we go to has several receptionists. One of them is quite rude and offhand ( the others are all very lovely polite people) . I find that I avoid the rude one like the plague and would rather queue up longer to get one of the decent ones. Nice when I copped the rude one she did not put my notes through to my GP so I had to wait a long time. Then she accused me of being late for the appointment. She never backed down,either but the GP must have known what she was like and he apologised profusely for keeping me waiting so long. How do these people keep their jobs ?

rafichagran Thu 06-May-21 10:08:12

Maddyone The receptionist having a bad day is no excuse to be dismissive. She is doing a job, you leave your problems, and the bad mood your at the door.
I am sick of people who think they are entitled to have a bad day at work and take it out on other people.
Glad you seem to have a good outcome Granny.

suziewoozie Thu 06-May-21 10:12:56

B9exchange

Forgetting to tell the physio you had arrived was an error and certainly an apology was due. But your conversation with her afterwards is so difficult to judge without hearing the tone of voice, seeing the facial expressions. It seems the information she was giving you was factually correct, with one error. If you use the www.nhs.uk website to book your second vaccine it knows which one you had for the first, and will only offer you appointments for the same type. So you might like to write a perfectly pleasant letter to the practice manager about being forgotten, and being given incorrect advice, but I wouldn't launch into a complaint against the individual. Being labelled a complainer can sometimes count against you in the future.

The one error was a very important one though wasn’t it? Unacceptable completely . I think your post is quite patronising towards Grandma. As you say, you weren’t there to judge - she was. Ime at my former surgery, the receptionists had a great training in being passive aggressive which meant they played little miss innocent if criticised ‘ but I only said....’

suziewoozie Thu 06-May-21 10:13:50

nanna8

The practice we go to has several receptionists. One of them is quite rude and offhand ( the others are all very lovely polite people) . I find that I avoid the rude one like the plague and would rather queue up longer to get one of the decent ones. Nice when I copped the rude one she did not put my notes through to my GP so I had to wait a long time. Then she accused me of being late for the appointment. She never backed down,either but the GP must have known what she was like and he apologised profusely for keeping me waiting so long. How do these people keep their jobs ?

The GPs facilitate it

Jaffacake2 Thu 06-May-21 10:25:04

I think the worst gp receptionist my family has encountered was one at a surgery my daughter attended when she was at university. She went in to book an appointment and the receptionist said
" is this for morning after pill ? You can get those direct from chemist "
Loudly spoken in an open reception area.
"No it's problems following surgery I had for ovarian tumour "
Stunned silence, appointment arranged.
If I had lived locally I would have gone for her probably physically and verbally !!

maddyone Thu 06-May-21 11:47:43

rafichagran

Maddyone The receptionist having a bad day is no excuse to be dismissive. She is doing a job, you leave your problems, and the bad mood your at the door.
I am sick of people who think they are entitled to have a bad day at work and take it out on other people.
Glad you seem to have a good outcome Granny.

Sorry you’re sick of me, you sound like a very entitled person. I said nothing wrong to the OP at all. And I congratulated her on the good result, which she obtained politely and without aggression.

rafichagran Thu 06-May-21 12:14:39

Maddy I never said you personally I said people.
I am tired now of people who are having a bad day using it as excuse to be rude.
I especially dislike it when people are working, they are paid to work, and be professional about it.
I have gone into work with problems, and as soon as I am in work I behave professionally as I am paid to do a job.
Doctors receptionists have a reputation for this unfortunately because of the few and that's unfortunate, but clearly Granny encountered one like this.
The front line in our GP surgery are good, but their is always one. I complained about her ,, I spoke to the acting manager, and got what I wanted which should have been done in the 1st place.
I can have a bad mood or a headache day, and I know I am not perfect, but at work you stay professional. Granny should not have experienced this and she should have had a apology.

rafichagran Thu 06-May-21 12:17:50

Entitled Maddy how? I just have basic professional standards. So you are wrong there.

Nonogran Thu 06-May-21 15:18:30

Speak to the practice manager. He needs to know about "attitude" in his staff. That's what he's paid for. Doctors, in my working experience, hide behind their managers & do nothing about that kind of issue.

I once encountered a vile dental surgery receptionist. She was sacked so when I asked about her the dentist told me about her attitude issues. I then felt able to describe my troubles with her too. .The dentist said he wished I had told him at the time it'd happened. Those kinds of receptionists should be retrained or sacked. Dreadful people.

suziewoozie Thu 06-May-21 15:27:13

Practice managers can be ‘she ’ #everydaysexism ?

TrendyNannie6 Thu 06-May-21 15:29:23

There is no excuse for rudeness ever! We have a very rude receptionist and I reported her, so have others, but there are also nice ones too, 9/10 the rude one is the one that operates the phones more than the others,

MayBee70 Thu 06-May-21 15:47:04

One of the doctors I worked for said to me once, you do realise you’re just here to take the blame.