Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

International travel for Australians

(77 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 10-May-21 01:41:58

Our treasurer has announced that international travel may resume from 2022. A long time ahead and nothing definite. Most of us would go to places like Bali, Fiji, Thailand etc because it is a lot cheaper than holidaying here. The unpleasant side effect of this is that places like Bali are desperate be they depend so much on tourism. They are in real trouble with poverty and unemployment now. I wouldn’t go overseas just now if you paid me but we sure seem to be in for the long haul! A big reason for the cautiousness here is that we simply couldn’t cope with a pandemic here.. The hospitals are not coping with ordinary everyday events.

maddyone Wed 12-May-21 11:22:51

Are you asking me jaylucy? I wouldn’t go anywhere long haul at the moment, in fact I’m not even going anywhere in this country yet. I’m hoping to go to a Greece in September but we’ll have to wait and see what the situation is then. I’ve had Covid, I’ve been vaccinated twice, I’m not afraid I’ll catch it again, but there are new variants to consider, although I’m not overly afraid because the scientists have said the vaccine should be effective against all the variants up to now. It’s that little word should that I have to consider.