Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid enquiry. He’s not daft as he looks.

(103 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-May-21 13:28:38

So this is how it goes.

Queens speech announced the intention of the government repealing the fixed term, thereby allowing Johnson to decide on the next election.

I have read more than once that he is looking at 2023.

Today he announced a covid enquiry to begin in spring 2022, which will not be reporting until after the next pencilled election of 2023.

No daft is he?

MayBee70 Fri 21-May-21 18:02:18

Are they still only forward tracing as well as back tracing which is just, if not more important.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 21-May-21 16:50:23

It seems to me the government are still making mistakes despite hindsight. Listening to the multidisciplinary experts on Independent Sage today (YouTube) there are still ongoing concerns. One of them is the “world beating” track and trace system. Surge testing is of no use if those who test positive are not given necessary funds and suitable facilities in which to isolate, and despite it being a WHO recommendation, close contacts are not required to get a test.

MayBee70 Fri 21-May-21 16:35:03

Are you referring to people like me or the scientists that the government didn’t listen to?

LuckyFour Fri 21-May-21 14:28:37

I'm sick and tired of everyone criticising the government, saying what they should have done as though they know all about everything. It's very easy to say what should have happened. With hindsight everyone can come up with the perfect answer. Why anyone would go into politics I don't know, they get nothing but criticism when they're mainly just trying to do their best. I'm not political at all but I am fed up of all these 'know it alls'.

MayBee70 Wed 19-May-21 14:27:21

It’ll be interesting to see if Cummings talks about the pandemic next week.

Luckygirl Wed 19-May-21 14:07:51

I wish the enquiry were scheduled sooner...........there may be things to learn that could be implemented quickly. But I guess political ambition trumps all.

MayBee70 Wed 19-May-21 13:34:17

But how can you talk about hindsight being a great thing when operation cygnet pointed out what would happen in the event of a pandemic and the government ignored it. And yet you still say that the government couldn’t have known what might happen. And if you did know about operation cygnet you would have realised the government were unprepared.

Nanaval4G Wed 19-May-21 13:12:19

MayBee70 I was referring to your last comment in reply to my previous post, ie asking if I were aware of operation cygnet !!!!!
I can assure you I am not in any clique - I leave those to thers

MayBee70 Wed 19-May-21 12:53:28

Can you explain to me what was condescending about my post. And, it seems to me that, having complained of gransnet having cliques you appear to be in one. It’s only a clique if someone supports something that they don’t agree with because their mates have said it. I can categorically state that I only ever say what I personally believe to be true. Are people not holidaying in Spain at the moment by the way. Did I get that wrong? If they aren’t then there are a lot of people travelling on necessary business. Am I wrong about the Kent variant being the dominant variant in Europe at the moment, albeit due to be overtaken by the India one soon. I thought the death rate in Germany was lower than the U.K. last year. Was I wrong about that too.

Nanaval4G Wed 19-May-21 12:38:49

MayBee70 How condescending, and poor Nigel Farrer will be upset, I thought Brexit was his baby. This is one of the reasons I don't participate much in these forums, your little clique have their opinions and God forbid anyone who dares to disagree.

MayBee70 Mon 17-May-21 16:14:55

But if we’d’ve been in control of the pandemic last year when Germany was dealing with it successfully our death rate would have been minuscule by now. And the problems in Europe are being caused by the Kent variant that we should have contained quicker given that the government knew of it’s existence but didn’t act on it soon enough. And aren’t people from the U.K. now holidaying in Spain again?

Petera Mon 17-May-21 15:39:26

Lin52: "Well weren’t you clever, they did act earlier in Germany, but they are in an even worse position than we are, rising rates, as in France and Spain poor vaccination rates, due to European and German bureaucracy"

Deaths per million population:

United Kingdom 1.906,46
Spain 1.685,31
France 1.579,38
Germany 1.036,49

Can we have some more of that bureaucracy please?

varian Sat 15-May-21 12:05:44

The reporters from the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation never ever challenge such nonsense vox pops.

railman Sat 15-May-21 11:22:07

PippaZ and Maybee70 - your observations are right on the nail.
Divide and rule is the mantra of our elected & unelected elite.

I was saddened though to hear that poor chap from Hartlepool suggesting that the lack of a police station, reduced NHS service, etc. was because Labour had "broken it". The BBC reporter interviewing him did not bother to point out there and then that the Tories had been in power since 2010, and 'austerity' and cutting central funding for local government had been responsible.

The other chap said - if I remember correctly - it was time for a change - it seems irony doesn't play out well in those voxpops.

The level of misinformation, distraction, misunderstanding and lack of detail across the media, encouraged by vested interests is disturbing.

Ah well - another coffee I think.

PippaZ Sat 15-May-21 09:42:44

MayBee70

Divide and rule. It really is working. David Cameron, what a can of worms you’ve opened....

Yes, indeed MayBee70.

MayBee70 Sat 15-May-21 01:56:47

Divide and rule. It really is working. David Cameron, what a can of worms you’ve opened....

Lucca Fri 14-May-21 22:53:38

“ The SNP have talked of nothing else but independence since 2014, even using covid as a platform for their propaganda”

I simply don’t believe that.

PippaZ Fri 14-May-21 22:24:23

Oh and I do realise someone will report that and have it deleted but it is truly how some members are making one member feel.

PippaZ Fri 14-May-21 22:23:24

It really feels as if the people who stormed the Capitol have joined the forums today. No idea of democracy and just ill tempered and hitting out. I find it a little frighteningly far-right. Will the streets be safe I wonder and even if they are - for how long?

PippaZ Fri 14-May-21 22:18:20

varian

Thank God for experts. What a pity so many chose to ignore the experts in 2016.

What a pity he is ignoring them on Monday.

Ydoc Fri 14-May-21 22:17:57

Katy1950
Too true im sick of the media constantly bashing Boris no prime minister since the war has had such a difficult job. He was wrong if he went left or right according to the biased press

Ydoc Fri 14-May-21 22:12:46

Lin52
I agree god knows where we would be now with Corbyn

MayBee70 Fri 14-May-21 21:21:22

Nanaval4G

Well said Lin52, it's amazing how many people think they could have done better with an unknown virus with no cure, whilst also dealing with Brexit, a new baby, and the tory bashers in the commons. Hindsight is indeed a most wonderful thing

But he was the one that persuaded people to vote brexit (on the spin of a coin). It’s his baby. Along with the other one. And every novel virus is unknown. That’s why governments are supposed to prepare for the epidemics/pandemics they cause. That’s what operation cygnet was about and the government didn’t act on it’s findings. You do know about operation cygnet I presume?

Alegrias1 Fri 14-May-21 20:02:52

You seem a bit fired up.

Although I admit the "another one" made me smile. Remember Brenda from Bristol?

Susysue Fri 14-May-21 19:54:47

Alegrias1, ahhh another one!! You just can't help yourselves can you?? Can you tell me and the rest of Gransnet how the snp are going to fund scotland if we are forced to go independent?? Sturgeon and the rest of her government can't answer the question but maybe her supporters like you and mcem have the expertise in economic strategies!!!