Coronavirus

Proof of the power of vaccination

(87 Posts)
Alegrias1 Wed 12-May-21 19:37:36

Put out the flags GG13!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-May-21 19:36:57

Blimey I agree with you Alegrias1

Alegrias1 Wed 12-May-21 19:31:19

Thanks Casdon for trying to present some good news. ?

The vaccine is working in the population to which it has been given. It works against the "Indian" variant. Yes, the virus might behave as no virus has even done before and magically morph into a vaccine-resistant variant overnight.

And we might get hit by a meteor.

MayBee70 Wed 12-May-21 19:28:53

And how many cancer patients would have caught covid in hospital and nursing homes because of government incompetence?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-May-21 19:17:20

It’s a virus that is here to stay, like many others. We (the world) has to live alongside it.

The world cannot totally shut down for a given amount of time, it needs power, food, medics, managing it is all we can do. Influenza, nova virus even the common cold kill, I am more worried about the Cancer time bomb about to explode along with all the other things that have been put on hold to save the NHS

MayBee70 Wed 12-May-21 19:09:57

I’d like someone to tell me in which ways we’ve been proactive in eliminating this virus other than vaccinating? And what things we could be doing now but aren’t. The infection rate has now plateaued, it isn’t going down the way that everyone seems to think it has.

MissChateline Wed 12-May-21 19:04:44

Just sing happy birthday twice a few times a day and we will all be OK .

MayBee70 Wed 12-May-21 19:00:33

They do work but are probably slightly less efficacious and more transmissible. Which means that herd immunity is being pushed further away. It only takes a variant that doesn’t respond to vaccination and we’re back to square one which is why hands face space ventilate is still important. There has been an outbreak amongst people sitting outside a pub in Tyneside I believe.

toscalily Wed 12-May-21 18:58:43

This from the BBC article "This spike is related to international travel, particularly with people returning to Bolton from India".

We are only now coming out of the Lockdown restrictions, with most of us not having ventured to the next town/county let alone travelling to another continent therefore why is it considered acceptable for the asian community to flout these rules and travel internationally?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-May-21 18:53:21

The Indian authorities are confident that the current available vaccines in India are effective against the Indian Variant

PamelaJ1 Wed 12-May-21 18:01:30

Happy that the vaccine works.
Not too happy to hear the Indian variant is over here.

Casdon Wed 12-May-21 17:57:17

I’ve just seen this in the news about a huge surge in COVID cases of the Indian variant in Bolton. The fact that the cases are surging in the under 25s must give the nervous amongst us comfort that vaccination is working. We just need the under 25s to be vaccinated as soon as possible too.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-57075618