Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Indian variant

(168 Posts)
Daisymae Thu 13-May-21 17:48:08

Getting a little concerned about the mood music that seems to be in the air regarding this variant. There are over 700 confirmed cases, it seems to spread 60% more rapidly. I notice that in some areas well over 50% of new cases are of this variant and SAGE are having an emergency meeting this afternoon to discuss. Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water??

Greeneyedgirl Sun 16-May-21 20:02:33

MayBee70 ?. I am a Dr John & vitD fan too.

MayBee70 Sun 16-May-21 19:06:41

Everyone that’s cautious balances out the risk posed by people that are refusing to have the vaccine, wear masks etc. imo Dr Johns blog today said that people that are vaccinated are more likely to be asymptomatic carriers. And also that Taiwan, where the virus has been controlled very well, are now having more cases. It’s not gone till it’s gone. Which reminds me, I haven’t taken my VitD today!

PippaZ Sun 16-May-21 18:25:50

I can't see that it's panicking just to be cautious. If a lion was coming down the road and some guy with silly hair told me I didn't need to get inside, out of its way, and I knew he needed me to entertain the lion for the sake of votes he wanted in the future - I wouldn't think twice about working out what I thought was best of me and taking the cautious route.

Artemis1 Sun 16-May-21 17:57:57

Sago

Why are you looking to be offended?
It is quite clear why tidyskatemum has used the lady’s nationality.
I avoid threads now where certain posters have commented as some of you are clearly looking for an argument.
It’s like being back at school.

Yes, exactly Sago. It's blindingly obvious why tidyskatemum mentioned the lady's ethnicity (we don't know her nationality, btw - she could be British). It shows that even Indian people are critical of flights from India not being stopped sooner.

If this lady (who criticised Boris for not stopping flights sooner) had been white or some other ethnicity her remarks could have been misinterpreted as prejudice.

Incidentally I strongly suspect the reason Boris didn't stop flights sooner is because HE himself was planning on going to India on a trade trip - having bungled Brexit thoroughly he now needs the Indians (and Australians, Americans, etc etc) to buy our wares.

That's why he stopped flights once HE'D been told not to go.

Until then it was no biggie.

Self-serving much?

Greeneyedgirl Sun 16-May-21 14:08:25

I will be cautious until more data is available, and risk assess individual situations as they crop up regardless of what we are “allowed” to do.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 16-May-21 13:06:40

MayBee70

I’m not panicking. But I am always one step behind most people when it comes to being allowed to do things. I now speak to people outside and would meet someone in my garden or theirs. But I’m still not going into people’s houses. I was determined not to catch it last year when so little was known about the virus as I’m going to proceed with caution.

I’m behaving in exactly the same way, except going into my two children’s home as I know they have been vaccinated

MayBee70 Sun 16-May-21 12:58:50

I’m not panicking. But I am always one step behind most people when it comes to being allowed to do things. I now speak to people outside and would meet someone in my garden or theirs. But I’m still not going into people’s houses. I was determined not to catch it last year when so little was known about the virus as I’m going to proceed with caution.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 16-May-21 10:21:13

Daisymae I meant with the jury is out that we do not know whether there will be more hospital admissions and deaths caused by the new variant. It is accepted that it is more transmissible, but not necessarily more lethal or more vaccine resistant. We will know more in a few weeks, when I presume the government will make the next decision as to the roadmap. Too early to panic IMO.

welbeck Sun 16-May-21 01:29:23

other countries have the Indian variant too, not just India,
so it may be coming here from multiple locations/routes.

Eloethan Sun 16-May-21 00:37:14

Headline in the I today: "Passengers arriving in UK from India warn of airport failures "madness":

"A woman who arrived in the UK from India last week has claimed that passengers from her flight queued for hours next to travellers from other flights, despite concern over mutant Covid variants.

"She told I that it took her four and a half hours to get to her quarantine hotel after landing ....... and that social distancing was non-existent.

"Red list passengers were directed to a queue for immigration but some non-red list passengers were also queuing as close as five metres away, she claimed.

"The Briton, who has lived in India for 15 years and returned to the UK to visit her family, waited for more than two hours in an immigration line and then for a bus to her hotel, with other non-red list passengers.

"She said "My concern was not only for us in the red list immigration queue but the fact this queue is in the same area as all arrivals. It's just insanity, it defeats the whole purpose".

It does sound very chaotic and makes a bit of a nonsense of the one-way traffic in shops that are virtually empty.

MayBee70 Sat 15-May-21 23:31:01

All because Johnson wanted to go to India for another one of his photo shoots. imo

Daisymae Sat 15-May-21 22:02:53

I don't think that the jury is out regarding this variant. It's more transmissible, a lot of people have not been vaccinated and we are relaxing lockdown further on Monday. Oh and we are working on 80 percent effectiveness with full vaccination. What could possibly go wrong?

Greeneyedgirl Sat 15-May-21 20:47:05

A couple of weeks ago travellers at airports were not segregated so whatever country they arrived from they were mixing. I don’t know if this has changed.

I think the jury’s still out on the Indian variant, but I think variants of concern will keep cropping up from time to time, because Covid is still endemic in so many countries. Hopefully the vaccines will adapt to cope with this. Locking down is such a blunt instrument, and an efficient test, track and trace is key, which we have not had, despite millions spent. Local public health departments need the money and resources to be able to manage this, with contacts being tested, not just being advised to isolate, and those who can’t afford to stay off work being paid to do so. This is the only way forward.

Callistemon Sat 15-May-21 14:07:30

Yes but only for UK nationals who must isolate in hotels at their own expense

And only for Australians who have to quarantine at their own expense.

So trying to claim that Australians are bringing people home from India is disingenuous. 70 so far out of many thousands and there had been a complete ban. The Government relented after protests.

Meanwhile many more thousands of Australians are stranded overseas in other countries and people who wish to leave Australia on compassionate grounds have to wait for government permission.

Callistemon Sat 15-May-21 14:00:42

The Australians are bringing people home from India. But they still don’t seem to have community spread as a result of it. I wonder what they’re doing that we aren’t

They are now after a complete ban but very, very few (only 70 so far), they insist on Covid tests and straight into quarantine.

MayBee70 Sat 15-May-21 13:15:23

lemongrove

rosie1959

Whitewavemark2

Flights from India still coming into the U.K.

We cannot leave UK nationals of Indian descent to stay and take their chances there, they have to be brought home.

The Australians are bringing people home from India. But they still don’t seem to have community spread as a result of it. I wonder what they’re doing that we aren’t hmm...

Kali2 Sat 15-May-21 12:20:54

The worriedwell, this is really concerning. I have friends going on the first cruise going around the UK, without stops- saying this will be therefore totally safe. I wonder if they know about this ?

Of course UK residents of Indian origin had to be allowed home- but they should have been forced to go into proper quarantine in Hôtels and tested on arrival and later. But they were just allowed to go home without any checks.

"Why did PM not put India on the red list 2 weeks earlier when Pakistan and Bangladesh were added to red list? And why did they then delay a further 4 days to implement?" asked Yvette Cooper, quite rightly.

One of the variants of coronavirus first identified in India has spread to the UK. Just under half of these cases involve international travel and the strain has now been designated a "variant of concern".

India was added to the red list on 23 April, but neighbouring Pakistan and Bangladesh have both been on it since 9 April.

Doodledog Sat 15-May-21 11:03:29

Precisely, Alegrias.

theworriedwell Sat 15-May-21 09:29:31

Bobbysgirl19

Flights coming in from India should definitely have been stopped earlier! What on earth is going on, don't we ever learn from our previous mistakes?

It is worse than that. I live in Devon and it is reported that two coachloads of crew for the cruise ships docked round the coast arrived last week from India. No checks at Heathrow, coaches to Torquay I think, tested before being allowed on the ships and two positives. Don't know if it is the Indian variant but doesn't seem unlikely. They were then put back on coach and taken to Southampton to isolate.

This is a link to the story www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56998273

I wonder how many people they came into contact with? Did they stop at the services? Why were they allowed in from a red list country without quarantine or even testing?

We aren't being told the whole story about how these red list countries are really being treated on arrival.

lemongrove Sat 15-May-21 09:26:56

rosie1959

Whitewavemark2

We cannot leave UK nationals of Indian descent to stay and take their chances there, they have to be brought home.

Casdon Sat 15-May-21 09:19:14

I don’t think now is the issue in terms of flights bringing British nationals home as they will all be quarantined, the cat is already out of the bag because of the rush back here from India before the restrictions started. The Government should not have given notice.

I’ve seen in the news that Germany are very critical of the UK approach, and are discussing imposing new restrictions on UK residents going there again. I’m not surprised they are concerned, as the impact on Europe could be enormous as they have fewer vaccinated citizens.

Alegrias1 Sat 15-May-21 09:15:21

I think tidyskatemun was showing the irony of the situation.

There is no irony in this situation. Lots of women on this very forum are blaming Johnson for not stopping people coming back from India. By mentioning the fact that the woman was of Indian origin, tidyskatemum implied that people of Indian origin need to take some personal responsibility for the people coming back from India.

We don’t know how long this woman has lived in the UK. We don’t know her nationality. We don’t know if she knows anybody who has recently come back from India. We don’t know if she still has any family in India with whom she is in contact. We just know she was of “Indian origin” (Like Cliff Richard, in fact. wink)

But by telling us that she is of Indian origin tidyskatemum implies that she must take some responsibility for what she, tidyskatemum sees as a problem created by other people of Indian origin.

Bit of a sermon, sorry, and maybe that’s not what tidyskatemem meant at all. But I can’t imagine what she did mean, and she doesn’t have to come and tell us, of course. But anyone shouting “You see racism everywhere” might want to consider that this is because it is everywhere, and much of the time people don’t even realise what they are saying.

Gingster Sat 15-May-21 09:01:32

I meant THIS government

Gingster Sat 15-May-21 08:58:13

Yes ‘Ellanvannin* . What is wrong with their government. It’s the only way. Close the airports!

rosie1959 Sat 15-May-21 08:52:00

Whitewavemark2