Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Indian variant - Is anyone else incredulous at Boris yet again having shut the stable door after the horse has bolted?!

(117 Posts)
Stillwaters Sat 15-May-21 10:58:16

Well, I say incredulous, but I'm not -just exasperated at being in this situation yet again; his not shutting our borders to India the moment this became known risks delaying lockdown measures being lifted, and a huge rise in hospitalisations. Grrrrr

Atqui Sat 15-May-21 17:11:42

PippaZ

Atqui

Haven’t we discussed this on another couple of threads? But my reaction is still the same: “Why did WE bloody bother ( doing as we were told)”

Because we are adults? Although I may have got that wrong. May I ask how old you are?

PippaZ I find your post uneccessarily rude. Mine was perhaps a little too facetious for a serious thread- I was merely trying to make the point that most of us have been diligent in sticking to the rules to prevent transmission of the virus, while our government has behaved recklessly in giving people travelling from India time to beat the quarantine rules. You may ask how old I am , but I shall not be telling you because it is irrelevant.

MayBee70 Sat 15-May-21 17:49:09

Atqui. I think the comment came across as wishing we hadn’t done as we were told, which you didn’t mean given that we did so because we wanted to protect ourselves and others. I think we’re all a bit tired and stressed by it all aren’t we. I know I’ve recently been replying quickly to Facebook comments and haven’t been reading them through properly beforehand. It’s so frustrating that we seem to be nearing the end of our covid journey but then find the goalposts have been moved.

JustMe Sat 15-May-21 18:03:00

I am absolutely furious at this. Yet again Boris has the kneejerk reaction and is late doing what he should be doing.

Why haven't the Government learnt??

This article is really worth a read. It sets out the timelines, it sets out the reasons Boris didn't do it, it sets out the implications of that.. and it all boils down to THREE days when he dithered.
It's not damning, it's not biaised, it is factual.
And I am so cross about it.

He had the advice, he was being urged to do it quicker. But he didn't.
I just hope this is his hill to die on.

news.sky.com/story/covid-19-the-three-days-in-april-that-may-have-fuelled-uk-outbreak-of-indian-coronavirus-variant-12306393

GrannyGravy13 Sat 15-May-21 18:05:48

So far today:- mass brawl at Luton Airport,
protests in London against BBC, pro Hamas march and apparently huge crowds gathered in Glasgow (St.George’s Sq?)

Whilst folks continue to exercise their right to protest/gather despite being against all Covid regulations there is no hope unless everyone is vaccinated and begin to take personal responsibility.

MayBee70 Sat 15-May-21 18:06:56

And, on top of that, pubs etc are opening up their doors next week and will be filled with the very people that haven’t been vaccinated. You’d almost question if they were still aiming for herd immunity wouldn’t you. I have been saying for two weeks now that we still need to be cautious but have been accused of being a killjoy. Of course, Johnson has asked people ‘to behave sensibly’. As if....

Kittye Sat 15-May-21 18:10:53

I’m amazed at the selfishness of these stupid people. But hey they can carry on behaving as they do cos everyone can blame Boris. Don’t these people have minds of their own?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 15-May-21 18:15:23

MayBee70 pubs and restaurants are opening up on Monday but under very strict conditions. Table service only, no
standing at the bar, masks to be worn walking to table and toilets.

MayBee70 Sat 15-May-21 18:20:45

It’s still indoors. It’s still not safe. How long before we see pictures of brawls outside pubs etc

PippaZ Sat 15-May-21 18:29:03

JustMe

I am absolutely furious at this. Yet again Boris has the kneejerk reaction and is late doing what he should be doing.

Why haven't the Government learnt??

This article is really worth a read. It sets out the timelines, it sets out the reasons Boris didn't do it, it sets out the implications of that.. and it all boils down to THREE days when he dithered.
It's not damning, it's not biaised, it is factual.
And I am so cross about it.

He had the advice, he was being urged to do it quicker. But he didn't.
I just hope this is his hill to die on.

news.sky.com/story/covid-19-the-three-days-in-april-that-may-have-fuelled-uk-outbreak-of-indian-coronavirus-variant-12306393

Thanks for the link, Justme. You sum it up well. Johnson has a real problem with his post Brexit negotiations which are not going anywhere near as well as they would have us believe.

There are figures beginning to emerge about the damage to the service sector, continued threats to supply disruptions due to a shortage of drivers and a scandal looming about the detention of EU nationals at the UK border which will not smooth any paths to a re-organised system with the EU. Add to this the fact that we could run out of construction materials just as we need to build and that businesses are furious with them, not because of the paperwork but because of the additional costs which were never put upfront when the picture of the rainbow was painted.

Because of this he has tried to open up to India and waffled and prevaricated - yet again - about doing the right thing.

And yet, and yet with all this and even more disclosures of handouts - and Johnson constantly refusing to accept the outcomes of enquiries into this he is still the blue-eyed boy. I wonder just what he has to do?

PippaZ Sat 15-May-21 18:30:39

Kittye

I’m amazed at the selfishness of these stupid people. But hey they can carry on behaving as they do cos everyone can blame Boris. Don’t these people have minds of their own?

He wanted to be PM and that is his job. He could have more control over the situation just by obeying the rules he set for himself.

Kittye Sat 15-May-21 18:39:19

PippaZ the people who flout the rules would do so whether Boris abided by them or not. There’s always people who think rules don’t apply to them ( and maybe Boris is one of them)
But if the rest of us blame the PM for this appalling behaviour they think it lets them off the hook.

PippaZ Sat 15-May-21 18:55:18

Kittye

PippaZ the people who flout the rules would do so whether Boris abided by them or not. There’s always people who think rules don’t apply to them ( and maybe Boris is one of them)
But if the rest of us blame the PM for this appalling behaviour they think it lets them off the hook.

That wasn't quite what I said Kittye. But never mind.

JustMe Sat 15-May-21 18:56:57

He could have more control over the situation just by obeying the rules he set for himself

The trouble is, I am dubious. For instance, his Dad flying to Greece last year to 'prepare his apartment' when everyone else was locked down, so let's see if Greece suddenly becomes green!

We cannot blame it all on those who flout the rules I don't think.
Mixed messages, changes at the last minute, knee jerk reactions have all contributed to this. (As well of course those who do break the rules!)

varian Sat 15-May-21 19:06:53

He wanted to be PM for the status, to massage and confirm his vanity, his view of himself as an aspiring "king of the world"

Yet he has no interest in actually doing the job.

He is lazy, negligent and doesn't really care how much damage he does as long as he is still lauded by the Sun and the Express and the Daily Mail as "good old Boris"

JustMe Sat 15-May-21 19:19:26

varian

He wanted to be PM for the status, to massage and confirm his vanity, his view of himself as an aspiring "king of the world"

Yet he has no interest in actually doing the job.

He is lazy, negligent and doesn't really care how much damage he does as long as he is still lauded by the Sun and the Express and the Daily Mail as "good old Boris"

Toally agree.

He's wanted this forever. Trouble is (for him) he's not had a normal time has he?
Covid/Brexit
Ironic really, he's picked the worst time to be PM. Poor old Boris. Not sympathetic.

A man shows his strength of character in difficult times. He hasn't.

Sarnia Sat 15-May-21 19:33:57

I feel incredibly sad about all this. We have all had to make sacrifices during the past 14 months, some more than others. The vaccine programme has been such a success and has raised our hopes that the light at the end of the tunnel was beginning to burn brightly and normality could gradually resume. How reckless of Boris & Co to give notice about flights from India, resulting in all aircraft jam packed with people. One question. Why were they there? It was illegal to book a trip abroad, but hordes of them arrived back in the UK. India sent a delegation to the G7 summit. Again why? They are not even members. Clearly, nobody here had the common sense not to invite them and nobody there thought it prudent to decline the invitation. So over they come, quickly testing positive. How many poor sods did they come into contact with, in the airport, on the plane, in cars, in hotels and the summit itself? It is beyond thoughtless and irresponsible but Boris smells a trade deal, so that makes everything all right.sad

MayBee70 Sat 15-May-21 19:42:29

JustMe

*He could have more control over the situation just by obeying the rules he set for himself*

The trouble is, I am dubious. For instance, his Dad flying to Greece last year to 'prepare his apartment' when everyone else was locked down, so let's see if Greece suddenly becomes green!

We cannot blame it all on those who flout the rules I don't think.
Mixed messages, changes at the last minute, knee jerk reactions have all contributed to this. (As well of course those who do break the rules!)

Didn’t his dad say last year that he would continue to go to the pub if he wanted to when other people were being asked not to? Didn’t beware a mask when going into a shop, etc

JustMe Sat 15-May-21 20:13:03

Yes he did. Pictures of him when it was absolutely mandatory to wear a mask... him maskless.

How does that help the general message? It doesn't.

Sarnia on your post saying why were they there? There are many people with family in India and I suppose they thought it was right to travel there or back.
Agree on the trade deal, my link above shows that. It was the whole thing that drove this.

And here we are...

JustMe Sat 15-May-21 20:14:42

It just hacks me off big time.

I haven't seen my DCs since Christmas. (I know I know people are going through far worse) but I miss seeing them. Both of them have totally stuck by the rules.

Dinahmo Sat 15-May-21 20:27:10

At least by sticking to the rules we are still here. I for one am grateful.

PippaZ Sat 15-May-21 20:31:41

Dinahmo

At least by sticking to the rules we are still here. I for one am grateful.

That is a nail well hit on the head Dinahmo. Whoever and whatever it is certainly good to be here.

Callistemon Sat 15-May-21 20:36:17

WllanVannin

I'm sorry you felt really ill after your first vaccination and I'm not sure which one you had.
I did feel ill after the first one (Pfizer) but not so bad after the second, my theory being that my resistance had been built up.

It's probably better than catching Covid when you might get very ill or even worse.

Callistemon Sat 15-May-21 20:36:52

Oh dear - sp.

EllanVannin

Callistemon Sat 15-May-21 20:40:57

Casdon

Australia figures include people in hotel quarantine as well though, they are repatriating their own citizens from India but their quarantine is very strict so it’s unlikely it will get out of control there.

70 repatriated out of many thousands after protests and pressure from the community.

Meanwhile, many other thousands of Australians are still stranded in other countries after many months.

Callistemon Sat 15-May-21 20:42:15

Didn’t his dad say last year that he would continue to go to the pub if he wanted to when other people were being asked not to?

Amazing as pubs were shut.