Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

They kept that quiet

(67 Posts)
Daisymae Tue 25-May-21 10:33:04

Apparently the travel advice to nearly 2 million people changed last week without any announcements or the public health bodies in the areas being advised. Surely if you are advising people not to travel outside the area you should let them know? Equally people should be advised they shouldn't travel in? These are specific areas where the Indian variant are most prevalent.

PippaZ Tue 25-May-21 15:30:45

which put a positive slant in their favour

which put a positive slant in their favour 're the vaccines.

growstuff Tue 25-May-21 15:43:18

It was the same with schools. I know somebody who is deputy head at a big sixth form college. Her college did not know what was going on before the last shutdown of schools until the evening before they were shut. That was after reassuring students that they would be remaining open for the moment, which made them look like complete idiots.

growstuff Tue 25-May-21 15:44:37

Communication is basic good management. I find it difficult to believe it's incompetence rather than a deliberate strategy not to communicate.

MaizieD Tue 25-May-21 15:49:08

Well!

Whooooaaa, everyone.

I've just copied this from the BBC web site's Live Updates page:

New Covid guidance 'a mistake by government'
Leicester’s Director of Public Health says government officials have confirmed that new advice published on its website around social distancing and travel was "a mistake".

Professor Ivan Browne says people should continue to follow existing national guidelines as before.

He says in a statement: “We had an urgent meeting with government reps and other affected local authorities today...these officials confirmed there are no restrictions on travel in or out of each of our areas and it was a mistake to suggest there was.

“There are no local lockdowns and there is no justification for Leicester to be treated differently to the rest of the country," he says.

He says he was not contacted by anyone from the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) or Public Health England about the advice, "to explain the rationale behind it or give any other information".

It's a tad unclear as to who is saying what, but I'm reading this as being a Westminster cock up (as I most certainly would, GG13 grin )

www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-57237893

growstuff Tue 25-May-21 15:51:45

What the ....!! hmm

growstuff Tue 25-May-21 15:52:06

My gast is truly flabbered.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 25-May-21 15:57:55

Peasblossom and her family members got their information from someone/somewhere.

PippaZ Tue 25-May-21 16:04:20

Click up or realisation that they can't get away with it?

Lin52 Tue 25-May-21 16:06:43

EllanVannin

Do people have to have it spelled out now ?

Spoon feeding is what many people want, areas of high Covid need to have Councils with some gumption and leadership. One councillor , who had obviously thought about it, but did nothing, was threatening riots if further local lockdown implemented www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/bolton-indian-variant-danger-unrest-council-boss-b935973.html they need to be talking to their constituents and explaining why further lockdowns needed. Just think if these selfish people hadn’t travelled, or at least stuck to quarantine, less infection.

Peasblossom Tue 25-May-21 16:16:30

I got it from the Government notifications service, honestly.

Like I said I signed up to it at the start(ish) of the Pandemic and have had daily emails ever since.

Every directive, advice, legislation, statistics, daily updates, whatever is there for Councils, businesses, health settings, ordinary people like me, who want to know what is actually put out there, rather than what people tell you has been put out there!

You can get the facts too.

Ha. As I’ve been typing this they’ve created a whole new information site. But what I’ve been saying is true. And the new one with the latest information can be delivered to your inbox if you want. Then you won’t have to rely on newspaper reports either.

I’ll see if I can find anything about the Leicestershire information that growstuffs reported.

Peasblossom Tue 25-May-21 16:18:08

It was [email protected]

I don’t know whether that will take you to the old site or the new one.

growstuff Tue 25-May-21 17:32:52

Lin52

EllanVannin

Do people have to have it spelled out now ?

Spoon feeding is what many people want, areas of high Covid need to have Councils with some gumption and leadership. One councillor , who had obviously thought about it, but did nothing, was threatening riots if further local lockdown implemented www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/bolton-indian-variant-danger-unrest-council-boss-b935973.html they need to be talking to their constituents and explaining why further lockdowns needed. Just think if these selfish people hadn’t travelled, or at least stuck to quarantine, less infection.

They do have councils with gumption and leadership. What we need is a government with gumption and leadership qualities.

What councils need is clarity.

Savvy Tue 25-May-21 17:49:58

I'm in one of these areas and we've been told nothing. But its also common sense, if you don't travel around, you don't spread it around. The thing is, my local council doesn't have that much common sense that I'm aware of.

We've got mobile testing centres set up in the middle of towns that you have to travel to get to, why aren't they testing where people live? Its a very poor area so most people don't drive and rely on public transport.

We are also a tourist spot, and if we have a heatwave, as predicted, for the Bank Holiday, the place will be heaving.

PippaZ Tue 25-May-21 18:04:30

PippaZ

Click up or realisation that they can't get away with it?

Click up!!! Sorry my Kindle took over. I am back on my laptop now and will be making my own mistakes grin

PippaZ Tue 25-May-21 18:20:35

Just seen this and can't think where to put it so

The amount the government has to spend on state pensions will fall by £1.5bn by 2022, partly because of over-65s dying of Covid, forecasts suggest.

The government will also receive an extra £0.9bn from inheritance tax, partly due to Covid-related deaths.

The figures have been published by the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) - the government's fiscal watchdog.

MaizieD Tue 25-May-21 18:49:19

I got it from the Government notifications service, honestly.

Not doubting you, Peasblossom. It looks as though there's been something sent out by mistake, or it's one of the government's famous U turns.

I was rather shock when I saw it, seeing that we'd just been having a bit of a 'discussion' about it grin