Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid in Glasgow - what's the situation?

(89 Posts)
Sparklefizz Thu 27-May-21 09:23:08

Can any of our Scottish members shed light on the Covid situation in Glasgow please? A close relative has flown to Glasgow to spend a few days with a friend. I thought this wasn't allowed? She has not been vaccinated yet.

Aveline Mon 31-May-21 14:58:03

Rufus2 we have free movement of people here now (except to Glasgow of course!)

Marydoll Mon 31-May-21 15:14:35

Alibee I had to give my full details the other day in a coffee shop.

Rufus2 Mon 31-May-21 15:35:05

had to give my full details the other day in a coffee shop
Marydoll I've also been self-isolating for 17 months and there's no way would I jeopardise that by entering a coffee shop; certainly not in Melbourne. hmm
Most of them that are still able to open are only doing take-away due to our current lockdown and we've got only 50+ active cases.
OoRoo

Marydoll Mon 31-May-21 16:07:51

I don't live in Glasgow city, Rufus so we are not in lockdown. The coffee shop had screens between tables, everyone wore masks, tables were wide apart and also everyone was sitting outside. First time visiting a coffee shop since I started shielding. Shielding is totally different from self isolating. You dont seem to be aware of the distinction.
Without sounding morbid, time is running out for me and I have done everything I have been asked to do for over a year, including not seeing family, no hospital appointments, no doctor's appointments, no regular blood tests. My health has deteriorated because of this, including another heart attack and I have had enough. I self test on a regular basis, despite rarely going out and have had both vaccinations. The advice from my clinical team is to start getting out and about again, but to be careful. It's a matter of risk assessment and looking after emotional and mental, as well as physical wellbeing. I am pretty good at that.
I'm sure you mean well Rufus, however, I prefer to take the advice of my clinicians and the Shielding team, rather than someone who knows little about my medical needs.
I wish you continued good health and hope your self isolation ends soon. Stay safe!.

By the way GlasgOW has as much to offer as Auld Reekie. I'm unsure where this Glasgie you mention is. Now if you mentioned Glesca, that would be another matter. ?

Rufus2 Tue 01-Jun-21 12:43:23

Shielding is totally different from self isolating. You dont seem to be aware of the distinction
Marydoll You're quite right again! .Fortunately, living on my own, apart from being aware of the terms, I have no need to analyze them to any degree.
However, taking note of your implied caution not to be Gung-Ho I am now studying the following article downloaded from "AgeUK".

Physical distancing and social distancing, shielding, and self-isolation

Our Medical and Pollie experts are now debating as to whether the current 7 day lockdown due to finish on Thursday shouldn't be extended! confused
They say that the latest Indian variant is extremely virulent and be easily transmitted in places such as coffee shops and in the street simply by being there fleetingly.
I'm not morbid either, far from it, not wishing to reach the end of the line before my time!
Good Health
OoRoo

Maria59 Tue 01-Jun-21 12:45:19

I was interested in this as Glasgow is a favourite daytrip for us. This thread sounds a bit nippy so will retreat to the garden and have a coffee in the sunshine instead.

Marydoll Tue 01-Jun-21 14:29:54

Glasgow has now moved to Level2, which is good news for the people of Glasgow. I'm relieved that my LA , has stayed in Level 2, until things settle down.

Marydoll Tue 01-Jun-21 14:31:24

BTW,the Indian variant has been renamed, Delta by WHO.

Alegrias1 Tue 01-Jun-21 14:33:29

Glasgow moving back to Level 2 from Saturday. Go Glasgow grin

Alegrias1 Tue 01-Jun-21 14:34:04

Cross post Marydoll

Marydoll Tue 01-Jun-21 14:39:45

?

FarNorth Tue 01-Jun-21 14:40:29

It's up to individuals to take personal responsibility rather than expect beleaguered restaurant staff to 'police' the system.

It won't exactly encourage non-reckless customers to use restaurants if they believe there is no checking.
So, hardly helping the hospitality industry.

Aveline Tue 01-Jun-21 14:43:19

So what to do? Post policemen at every cafe and restaurant? Or just let businesses go bust?

Alegrias1 Tue 01-Jun-21 14:49:15

Marydoll

?

I'm pleased as well for the areas moving to level 0. Level 1 for us, a nice surprise. Fingers crossed now.

FarNorth Tue 01-Jun-21 14:59:09

I'm an individual who is choosing to take personal responsibility for not going to cafés, cinemas etc for the time being.
A friend recently told me that trains are very safe because you have to book and passengers are seated well apart.
The previous post mentioning "standing room only" contradicts that, however, so how can I venture out with the intention of staying safe if it is likely that supposed safeguards, on trains or anywhere else, won't be there?

Marydoll Tue 01-Jun-21 15:20:27

The changes in Levels means my DD can now go on her honeymoon at the end of the week, only a year late!!! They have been rigorously testing twice a week, despite working from home and plan to do so, to keep themselves and others safe, while they are away.
On a shallower note, I will be able to visit Sainsbury's, just over the county line (albeit, early on a Sunday morning) !!! ? That's about the limit of my expeditions for the time being!
I've just had a conversation with my GP, who advised, that despite having both vaccinations, I should behave as if we are still at the height of the Pandemic. I have no problem with that, as you cannot rely on some people to follow the guidelines. ?

Rufus2 Tue 01-Jun-21 15:27:05

BTW,the Indian variant has been renamed, Delta by WHO

So obviously the 5th variant will be named Epsilon!
How clever! grin

Btw; Are there any Scots living outside Glasgie, or are they not worried by "Levels"
Just asking!
OoRoo

Alegrias1 Tue 01-Jun-21 15:29:15

I'm going to a café on Thursday, first time. But it has outdoor seating so we'll probably go for that. I'm not sure I would be happy in a cinema just yet. I think a lot of us will be making our own decisions within the guidelines of what is "allowed"

Happy for your DD Marydoll!

SueDonim Tue 01-Jun-21 16:10:17

We’ve moved to Level One here. The main benefit for me is that my book group will be able to meet outdoors! We’ve been to cafes etc since the last easing and restarted looking after our grandchild. Out and about feels pretty safe, everyone seems considerate of everyone else.

Aveline Tue 01-Jun-21 16:14:08

FarNorth people, being people, will break rules. This isn't North Korea with scary enforcement. You only have to look at those pictures of crowded beaches to know that not everyone will conform as they are told to.
Probably best to stay at home if you don't want to risk it.

Grandmajean Tue 01-Jun-21 16:35:10

HiRufus - as a Scot living happily in Cheshire I secondMarydoll's correction of Glasgie. Never heard that spoken by any Glaswegian. Definitely Glesca !smile

annodomini Tue 01-Jun-21 17:38:50

I concur, Grandmajean and Marydoll. I've never heard a Glaswegian calling it Glasgie. Mind you, I'm from Ayrshire originally and I can't remember what we called it, if anything! Grandmajean, I'm also exiled in Cheshire!

Grandmajean Tue 01-Jun-21 17:46:18

How interesting annodomini maybe we live near each other !
"Glesca" as in "Ah'm goin' tae Glesca for a wee look roon the shoaps"

Marydoll Tue 01-Jun-21 17:47:45

I suspect Rufus is playing a game. He knows full well, as he has been advised before that it's not used. It's just as annoying as calling us scotch, instead of Scots or Scottish.
Thet are just minor irritations which keeps him occupied and out of mischief! wink

Grandmajean Tue 01-Jun-21 17:57:18

Right Marydoll - I don't know Rufus as well as you do .