Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Should we still babysit?

(54 Posts)
pinkym Thu 27-May-21 13:18:22

DH & I had agreed to babysit our DGD and DGS at the weekend so their parents could go out for a meal for their anniversary. We were going to have them stay over with us as DH starts to clock-watch from about 10.30 onwards which makes me anxious. Now a child in DGS class has tested positive so it's probably not a good idea to have them stay with us, but I'm dithering over whether we should go to their home to babysit. We've both had two vaccinations. This is a battle between heart and head, what would you do?

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 04-Jun-21 07:54:06

I can see what you’re saying. There’s necessary risk, and then there’s completely unnecessary risk. To be honest, the whole holiday thing has flummoxed me from the beginning.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 04-Jun-21 07:51:50

growstuff

I sympathise with people who live in cramped housing who can't afford to self-isolate or not to work. I have zilch sympathy with people who moan about not being able to go on holiday or go out for meals.

?

growstuff Thu 03-Jun-21 23:42:31

I sympathise with people who live in cramped housing who can't afford to self-isolate or not to work. I have zilch sympathy with people who moan about not being able to go on holiday or go out for meals.

growstuff Thu 03-Jun-21 23:40:46

So don't tell me my life is boring! I actually like it. I've been through stuff much harder than lockdown and come out the other side. I don't have much patience with some of the stuff people moan about.

PS. Having a man in my life isn't a risk which could kill me.

GrannyRose15 Thu 03-Jun-21 23:14:11

I'm only rude to people who are rude to me. I can be very nice.

I know my life isn't for everyone but I quite enjoyed it before all this Covid nonsense (and no, I am not a Covid denier - I am a lockdown denier)

I do however wish you well with your new man, though many would say love is a risk. wink flowers.

growstuff Thu 03-Jun-21 22:20:42

I just don't fancy being flattened on a railway track. Maybe you do, but I understand it wasn't a pretty sight.

growstuff Thu 03-Jun-21 22:19:12

GrannyRose15

Do you ever take risks? Or is your life as boring as it sounds?

Nope! It's not boring at all, especially as I have a new man in my life. I expect you'd find it boring, but I expect I'd hate your life too.

BTW Are you always so rude?

GrannyRose15 Thu 03-Jun-21 22:10:02

Let's not not take unnecessary risk!

I think I agree. If you count the negatives in that statement it says exactly what I was saying. Lets go back to taking risks.

GrannyRose15 Thu 03-Jun-21 22:07:36

Do you ever take risks? Or is your life as boring as it sounds?

growstuff Thu 03-Jun-21 21:47:18

Well, there we differ. A schoolfriend of my daughter was flattened by a train on a railway line.

GrannyRose15 Thu 03-Jun-21 21:39:30

growstuff

GrannyRose15

A life worth living is all about risk.

Who says?

Have you thought of going to play on a railway line recently?

Often.
I also drive a car.
Travel by train.
Fly.
Dance.
Climb hills.
Have been pregnant
Go out in the rain.
Eat shellfish.
Walk in the woods at night.
Cross roads
Cuddle my grandchildren.

growstuff Wed 02-Jun-21 21:58:58

MerylStreep

welbeck

at least 2 of the people who died of covid in UK last week
were fully vaccinated

Let’s concentrate on the millions who didn’t die. That’s a far more positive thought,

Let's not not take unnecessary risk!

growstuff Wed 02-Jun-21 21:57:52

GrannyRose15

Who says?

Have you thought of going to play on a railway line recently?

Marydoll Wed 02-Jun-21 21:27:49

If your husband is still clinically vulnerable and if I was the parent, I wouldn't be putting my father at risk, by asking you both to babysit a child who is self isolating. Surely another few weeks's wait, won't make much of a difference.

As someone, who is extremely, clinically vulnerable, my children still won't ask me to babysit because Covid numbers are rising again in our local schools.

NotTooOld Wed 02-Jun-21 21:00:37

I agree. I would not baby sit.

Blossoming Wed 02-Jun-21 20:57:27

I wouldn’t babysit, the child is isolating.

MerylStreep Wed 02-Jun-21 20:40:17

welbeck

were fully vaccinated

Let’s concentrate on the millions who didn’t die. That’s a far more positive thought,

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 02-Jun-21 20:30:50

I would as long as they all had negative tests. We have no health issues though.

GrannyRose15 Wed 02-Jun-21 20:26:12

GrannyRose15 Wed 02-Jun-21 20:22:21

Keep up the fear all of you. Hype up the paranoia. Obviously, noone wants a normal life, do they?

welbeck Sat 29-May-21 00:45:29

were fully vaccinated

GrannyGravy13 Fri 28-May-21 20:06:59

MerylStreep

As someone who’s babysat, school runs for the past 14 months I’m more interested why your husband ^starts to clock watch from 10.30^

Ditto

justwokeup Fri 28-May-21 19:13:30

I would think the parents would cancel temporarily pinkym, I certainly would. Similarly even if I had had a flu jab I still wouldn't babysit a child who may be infectious with flu. However, I understand what GrannyRose15 is saying that we will never be any better protected than having 2 vaccines.

welbeck Fri 28-May-21 18:55:33

why would you even consider risking your husband's health and possibly life.
there is no equivalence.
your husband is irreplaceable. cherish and protect him.
nothing is so important.
priorities. think about it. while you still can.

maddyone Fri 28-May-21 18:53:56

Perhaps you could suggest that the parents go out to celebrate a week or two later, and then you could happily babysit and have the children in your home. I realise that it won’t be their anniversary in two weeks, but many people have had to put off or even miss celebrations during this Covid period, so it is quite normal to celebrate late these days. To be honest, if it was us, as we’re both fully vaccinated, we would probably have just done it, but I do understand your reservations.