Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Should we still babysit?

(53 Posts)
pinkym Thu 27-May-21 13:18:22

DH & I had agreed to babysit our DGD and DGS at the weekend so their parents could go out for a meal for their anniversary. We were going to have them stay over with us as DH starts to clock-watch from about 10.30 onwards which makes me anxious. Now a child in DGS class has tested positive so it's probably not a good idea to have them stay with us, but I'm dithering over whether we should go to their home to babysit. We've both had two vaccinations. This is a battle between heart and head, what would you do?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-May-21 13:25:40

I would ask the parents to test GS, if negative I would babysit as arranged.

MayBee70 Thu 27-May-21 13:30:05

When did you have your second vaccine?

Buffybee Thu 27-May-21 13:34:21

Same advice as GG13, if they test negative have them stay with you, or if you decide to go to their house, can you not babysit on your own if your Dh makes you feel uncomfortable after 10.30?

Hithere Thu 27-May-21 13:40:19

I wouldnt do it just to be safe - babysitting of any kind anywhere is cancelled

pinkym Thu 27-May-21 13:52:38

MayBee70

When did you have your second vaccine?

DH 10th April, me 21st April

MayBee70 Thu 27-May-21 13:59:16

So you should have good immunity now. Difficult decision. I wouldn’t do it personally but then I’m Uber careful. We met up with some of the grandchildren for the first time in 18 months in a garden a few weeks ago and all of our plans regarding keeping a distance lasted about 5 minutes. It’s a long time to be in a confined space with a child that’s been exposed to the virus.

Peasblossom Thu 27-May-21 14:19:21

Why is there a difference between them coming to you and you going there? I don’t understand.

pinkym Thu 27-May-21 14:34:23

Peasblossom

Why is there a difference between them coming to you and you going there? I don’t understand.

My thinking is they will be in bed for most of the time we're at their house, whereas if they come to us, we will be with them for some part of the next day, thus exposing us both for a longer period. I should have perhaps said my husband is deemed as clinically extremely vulnerable and was shielding until 31st March. Isn't it absolutely horrible to view members of your own family as a potential threat particularly when it's a 6 year old!

Thoro Thu 27-May-21 15:00:03

Have they been told by the school to self isolate - if yes then you shouldn’t be babysitting.
If not then I would feel ok to babysit. My GS had to self isolate when a staff member in his nursery tested positive - Parents looked after him even on the days I usually had him because those are the rules.

pinkym Thu 27-May-21 15:04:21

Thoro

Have they been told by the school to self isolate - if yes then you shouldn’t be babysitting.
If not then I would feel ok to babysit. My GS had to self isolate when a staff member in his nursery tested positive - Parents looked after him even on the days I usually had him because those are the rules.

He has to but not the rest of the family, which is difficult when you have another child who has to be taken to and collected from school after Dad has gone to work and long before he's due home!

AGAA4 Thu 27-May-21 16:24:26

If he has been told to self isolate then he shouldn't see anyone outside of his immediate family.

Lucca Thu 27-May-21 16:27:15

Hithere

I wouldnt do it just to be safe - babysitting of any kind anywhere is cancelled

?

Peasblossom Thu 27-May-21 16:29:30

Me, I’d be careful with my vunerable husband. (if I had one) I don’t think I’d deliberately go to a house where I knew someone had been in contact with Covid.

Not just for a babysit that I could do another time.

MayBee70 Thu 27-May-21 17:54:28

Look at it another way. If a table hadn’t been booked for a meal and it was just a night out somewhere would you still just go and babysit and risk catching the virus?

Hithere Thu 27-May-21 18:01:21

Lucca

Whether OP goes to the child's home or the child goes to OP's home

EllanVannin Thu 27-May-21 18:22:18

Well it would be one way to find out if the vaccines had worked.

cornishpatsy Thu 27-May-21 18:31:08

I would think that there will be a lot of positive results in schools for many months as children are not vaccinated.

As others have said, if the children you are looking after are negative I do not see a problem. There will probably always be a positive result in the school they attend.

GrannyRose15 Fri 28-May-21 01:23:41

I'd go ahead as planned. The point of vaccination was to stop you getting the disease. If vaccinations aren't the way out of this mess what is the point of having them?

FarNorth Fri 28-May-21 01:52:38

Good idea GrannyRose15.
That clinically extremely vulnerable person should test out his vaccine as soon as possible.
sarcasm

welbeck Fri 28-May-21 02:30:00

the experts agree that vaccinations do not work
in approx 5-10% of people vaccinated.
this is true of all vaccines.
but we do not know whether it has worked or not in any particular person without antibody testing,
which is not generally available.
so there is still a risk, and the risk is greater for c.e.v. people.
also people with autoimmune conditions are more likely not to have made sufficient antibodies in response to the vaccine.
if i were you i would not be babysitting.
it is not worth the risk. your husband is c.e.v. why risk him.
really the parents should not ask you.
also the child should be isolating, not seeing other people.

Hithere Fri 28-May-21 02:42:37

Grannyrose15,
Vaccine does not make you inmune to covid, but to alleviate the most severe symptoms and possible hospitalization and death if you contract it.

Hithere Fri 28-May-21 02:44:50

If I were the parent of a child who has been on contact with a covid positive person, the first thing I do is cancel the anniversary meal for the sake of others.

It can always be celebrated once you are 100% you have not contracted it or are an asymptomatic carrier.

ElaineI Fri 28-May-21 18:31:00

The child should be self isolating so he can't be looked after by anyone other than his parents. I don't understand why you question this as it is laid down in restrictions.

JaneJudge Fri 28-May-21 18:33:19

just say no, you obviously are not comfortable, your husband is vulnerable
ask them to do it next weekend?