Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid: What's the situation where you are?

(60 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 17-Jun-21 11:22:24

Hello Everyone ?

I fear that I'm going to sound, at best, terribly naive, and even possibly ignorant; so I apologise in advance if that is the case.

This thread was prompted by havimg just had my cat's grooming appointment cancelled due to the vetinary assistant having to self isolate.

I admit that I was sort of thinking that all that type of thing was over with now...

James O'Brien on LBC was saying some things the other day that prompted me to predict that the schools will be closing early for the Summer holidays...

DH and I were planning on going to the local pub tomorrow for the first time since February 2020; but now I'm not sure...

What is going on where you are?
What do think is going to happen?

Any thoughts; opinions; musings, please

Thank you, as ever

Savvy Fri 18-Jun-21 00:29:13

North East coastal; half my street had it a couple of weeks ago after one household decided to go on holiday a few miles up the coast and bought it back with them. They were mingling with other households outside, all the kids playing together etc., just as they have done throughout and not wearing masks.

Our rates have skyrocketed in quite a short time.

M0nica Fri 18-Jun-21 09:05:36

We live an area which has had a consistent low COVID rate since the pandemic began.

We are both fully vaccinated and, masks and social distancinging apart life has returne to normal. We have eaten out half a dozen times since the last relaxation, usually outside and under cover because the weather has been so nice, but last night we ate inside the restaurant because the weather was so dreadful. We have been away to a busy seaside resort for a weekend and had family staying.

The victims of the current surge are mainly the unvacccinated, which means, mainly, the young who generally do not require hospitalisation, and if hospitalised are less ill, less likely to need ventilation and have much shorter stays.

If you are fully vaccinated, you stand very little risk of getting the new variant. And as ever the figures are being made unnecessarily alarmist. The current incidence of COVID is no higher than it was this April. 10s of 1,000s short of what it was when the pandemic was at its peak, and there are already indications that the figures are reducing

growstuff Fri 18-Jun-21 09:22:38

Where's your evidence that current figures for cases and deaths are reducing? We must be looking at different statistics.

I agree that they are not currently anywhere near as high as they were at the peak, but they are on the rise and aren't a reason for complacency.

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 09:36:08

Thank you all so much for your replies
It's certainly a concerning time
It feels like we are on the cusp of something - but I don't understand why if so many have been double vaccinated.

Savvy the situation that you describe sounds very worrying
When you say that 'half the street got it', were they all young and unvaccinated?

growstuff Fri 18-Jun-21 09:50:11

FannyCornforth If you look at the breakdown of cases over the last couple of weeks, over 50% have been in the 10-29 age group, who have mainly not been vaccinated up to now.

There are also reports that some people who have previously been infected but not vaccinated, possibly because they thought they didn't need it, haven't acquired immunity.

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 09:52:34

Ah, thank you growstuff
Your second point is certainly food for thought

Megs36 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:19:17

Our dear grandsons wedding is in two weeks, postponed since June last year, and although some restrictions are raisedthere are still many that are still to be followed, so far a marquee, mask wearing, no dance floor, social distancing on and on.
But just thankful still taking place like many more. I think their memories will be rather different to any we have of our wedding.??

henetha Fri 18-Jun-21 10:27:15

Covid numbers are rising in the south-west, particularly in Cornwall I think. Obviously tourism plays a big part. But relatively the numbers are low compared to some parts of the uk.
I'm glad that young people are now being vaccinated. My two younger grandchildren aged 18 and 22 have appointments tomorrow.
I took them out for a pub meal this week and was surprised that the pub was half empty.

Savvy Fri 18-Jun-21 11:12:39

FannyCornforth I think most were school age, a couple were disabled children. I'm not sure about their vaccinations, certainly the children wouldn't have had any, but I'm not sure about the adults. I think a few have only recently come into the age bracket to be called so it would depend on infection vs vaccine dates to be sure. Its possible that some would have only had one jab as there wouldn't be time to get the second jab in.

LtEve Fri 18-Jun-21 11:19:38

I’m in the south east, no idea what cases are doing as I’ve stopped looking. We go out for lunch/dinner as often as possible. Don’t take any notice of what other people are doing re masks, we’ve both had covid , are double vaccinated and have had a recent positive antibody test. I can’t wait for all the restrictions to be lifted.

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 11:26:09

I saw this graph yesterday Fanny and I thought it was encouraging (I like a graph wink)

Cases are high in Scotland right now. If you look at the graph, the blue line is cases and the orange line is hospital admissions. Apart from right at the start, when everything was chaos, hospital admissions track cases pretty closely. But now, even though cases have gone high, hospital admissions are not following. I think its cause for optimism.

Data from Travelling Tabby. Axes are different for the two metrics.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 18-Jun-21 11:45:56

Cases are low in my area, and it’s very encouraging that hospitalisations and deaths are not anywhere approaching previous rates, and am out and about with more confidence now fully vaccinated. However Chris Whitty is reported as saying yesterday that just be aware that coronavirus has not thrown its last surprise at us. ie the fat lady hasn’t sung yet!

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 16:38:21

I don't really know of this is the right place for this comment, but I'm feeling very angry that our football fans seem to be behaving like idiots in London right now. I hope its just the way its being reported, but if they are being daft, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 18-Jun-21 16:46:16

I was concerned about this when it was reported that far more were coming down than had got tickets. Is it raining? That usually helps?

Greeneyedgirl Fri 18-Jun-21 16:57:16

Whoops, just had a look. Rain hasn’t helped!

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 17:04:06

We Scots are used to rain. Unfortunately sad

Greeneyedgirl Fri 18-Jun-21 17:28:12

Of course. Although a Scot by birth I’ve evolved over the years into a southern softy grin

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 17:40:43

I've evolved gills wink

I'm wondering if we can just close the border and stop these eejits coming home but then you'd just have to have them in England. So that's no use.

JaneJudge Fri 18-Jun-21 17:51:30

the situation is dire at my youngest's school and I wish they'd just go to remote learning. Two of his friends are in self isolation now. After being so careful throughout I am wondering what was the point

14% of over 50 yo have had two vaccines, it was on the news last night

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 17:53:52

That seems low JaneJudge, is it not the other way round? 14% of under 50s?

JaneJudge Fri 18-Jun-21 18:10:16

I'm sure they said 14 unless they said 40 % as I commented to my husband how lucky we were to get our second ones, it has been almost a month for us I think

SueDonim Fri 18-Jun-21 19:02:28

NE Scotland here. Cases just about quadrupled here this month but they’re coming down again now. I don’t know if there’s been a local outbreak in any one particular area but it’s a relief to see the numbers getting lower.

Mollygo Fri 18-Jun-21 19:14:53

So will the Scots be bringing the virus with them? Will they take it back with them? Who will NS blame if there’s a spike?

Jaxjacky Fri 18-Jun-21 19:27:32

Are you out Fanny? If so, enjoy your evening.

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 19:33:25

Mollygo

So will the Scots be bringing the virus with them? Will they take it back with them? Who will NS blame if there’s a spike?

Can't help yourself, can you Mollygo?