Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Andrew Marr - slight summer cold, turned out to be Covid

(96 Posts)
FarNorth Thu 01-Jul-21 22:17:40

Andrew Marr was double vaccinated but still got very ill with covid.
The first symptoms seemed to be a summer cold - not the ones we have been told to look out for.

This article by Marr includes a video -
"Was I just unlucky to get Covid after double vaccine?", Andrew Marr asks Sir Peter Horby, who chairs the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag)

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57640550 .

varian Fri 02-Jul-21 19:07:15

Oh dear Olive you've gone a long way down the rabbit hole

Witzend Fri 02-Jul-21 18:48:02

Olive53, so can you tell us exactly whose Cunning Plan it was?

nanaK54 Fri 02-Jul-21 18:32:32

Olive53

It’s the people who have had both vaccines that are dying. The ones who haven’t had them are fine, but this was the plan all along!!!!!

FFS

Chestnut Fri 02-Jul-21 18:03:13

These huge sporting fixtures are very worrying. Thousands of people with no masks and no social distancing means the virus will spread like wildfire. Look at the Scottish fans who contracted it. I'm fully expecting the numbers to go up very soon. I shall continue to take care of myself and hope my younger family can protect themselves whilst going about some sort of normal life.

maddyone Fri 02-Jul-21 17:44:43

Olive53

It’s the people who have had both vaccines that are dying. The ones who haven’t had them are fine, but this was the plan all along!!!!!

WHAT! I can’t believe I’ve just read this.

SueDonim Fri 02-Jul-21 17:39:13

Alegrias1

Its doing the rounds growstuff. Where does any of this stuff come from?

It’s frighting to think these people move amongst us! ? ?

Deedaa Fri 02-Jul-21 17:15:26

My daughter's friend was called in to work this week because they didn't have enough A&E doctors. She said A&E was full of young people with respiratory problems which were all turning out to be Covid. All young and not vaccinated.

Dinahmo Fri 02-Jul-21 17:15:15

Most of us now have had a least 1 vaccine and, as many people have commented above does not prevent us from catching covid. What is worrying is that the numbers of people who have long covid is growing. This severely affects peoples' health and can last for several months and maybe longer but at the moment it's too early to tell.

growstuff Fri 02-Jul-21 17:13:24

Alegrias1

I haven't a clue.

growstuff Fri 02-Jul-21 17:13:04

coastalgran

There are different strains of the variants for Covid just like the flu ones and that is why certainly in Scotland there will be another vaccination come September for certain age groups and vulnerable people. I think we will need to get used to this for a while to come until it dilutes itself enough that we don't get seriously ill. Maybe vaccination has made some people a bit more complacent with hand washing, social distancing etc and illness is the result.

Viruses don't dilute themselves, but they eventually run out of hosts.

I think it is true that vaccinations have given people a false sense of security and they regard themselves as bullet-proof. Vaccinations have thankfully broken the link between infections and hospitalisations and deaths. However, it has never been the case that there was any promise they would stop people being infected. What they have done is make illness less severe for the majority of people.

It would be sensible for people to continue with keeping their distance and wearing a mask. Hopefully, there won't be any need for further lockdowns, but that will depend on the majority of people being sensible.

It's been estimated that approximately 85% of the population needs to have acquired immunity one way or the other, but we're still some way from that figure. It is also not known yet how long immunity lasts.

Alegrias1 Fri 02-Jul-21 17:08:18

growstuff Fri 02-Jul-21 17:04:51

Olive53

Where on earth did you read that? It's totally and utterly untrue.

gran23 Fri 02-Jul-21 17:04:39

Wonderful that people are being so honest. It does indicate we must be aware and think carefully.

MawBe Fri 02-Jul-21 17:02:51

Olive53

Oh Olive - how wrong can you be?
Fact is - it isn’t
This sort of anti-vaxx conspiracy theorising is clearly total tosh - I sincerely hope you don’t believe it yourself and think you might be wise to stop spreading fake news.

AGAA4 Fri 02-Jul-21 16:40:30

Andrew Marr said he felt invincible after his 2 vaccine doses. He caught Covid at the G7.

If you feel invincible you won't take any precautions at all and are more likely to mix with more people.

FarNorth Fri 02-Jul-21 16:38:48

Wow. He is unlucky.

MayBee70 Fri 02-Jul-21 16:28:13

62Granny

Don't forget Andrew Marr had a stroke a few years ago, while he may look fully recovered I bet he takes a load of medication, which can lower your resistance to illness and leave you more vulnerable.

And he’s had cancer, too.

62Granny Fri 02-Jul-21 16:22:22

Don't forget Andrew Marr had a stroke a few years ago, while he may look fully recovered I bet he takes a load of medication, which can lower your resistance to illness and leave you more vulnerable.

Alegrias1 Fri 02-Jul-21 15:22:06

Olive53

That's not true though, is it?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57610998

Olive53 Fri 02-Jul-21 15:20:34

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

coastalgran Fri 02-Jul-21 15:09:07

There are different strains of the variants for Covid just like the flu ones and that is why certainly in Scotland there will be another vaccination come September for certain age groups and vulnerable people. I think we will need to get used to this for a while to come until it dilutes itself enough that we don't get seriously ill. Maybe vaccination has made some people a bit more complacent with hand washing, social distancing etc and illness is the result.

growstuff Fri 02-Jul-21 14:21:22

polnan

now should I worry, my best friend has a bad cold, she is diabetic, so ... we have both had both jabs... she is early 50`s, I am in my 80`s, but overall I am in better health than she is, (so far as I know.) docs don`t want to see us do they! so I can`t get checked for health conditions

You can use the free Lateral Flow Tests to test if you have Covid. They're not perfect, but might pick up infection.

If your friend's cold persists, she should really be tested for blood glucose levels, which can rise quite dramatically in diabetics when they have any kind of infection. If she has a home monitoring device and test strips, she should use it. If she has persistent high blood glucose, she should contact the GP for advice. If she's not already taking insulin, she might need some until her blood glucose returns to normal (for her).

growstuff Fri 02-Jul-21 14:13:07

Riggie

I dont understand why there is such a surprise, its always been known that the vaccine is not 100%.
Likewise we were told a few weeks ago that the new things to watch out for with covid are hayfever/summer cold type symptoms.

I agree. Nobody has ever claimed that any of the vaccines stop people from being infected, but that the symptoms aren't so severe - for most people.

growstuff Fri 02-Jul-21 14:10:26

Elvis58

You can still catch it but not as severe.Its all about taking responsibilty for your own health instead of this constant hiding behind the sofa attitude.

Who's hiding behind any sofa? The only people who seem to be accusing others of being scared are those who want to forget about any restrictions or mitigation.

Lin52 Fri 02-Jul-21 13:16:28

Every one is saying that Covid was caught after having both vaccines. What I would like to know is, after the second vaccine, were people still careful about hands, face, space and ventilation for 2 weeks following vaccination. After both of mine extremely careful, and still am, although going out more now. Thank goodness the death rates are down which must be a good thing. Just wondering.