Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

So masks are to become optional, do you think this is a good idea?

(463 Posts)
Bossyrossy Sun 04-Jul-21 18:42:54

I know we can’t wear masks forever but is this a good time to make them optional with the Delta variant running wild? DH and I run a small shop, we are in the vulnerable age group but have both had two jabs. At the moment all our customers wear masks and we all feel safer for it. I don’t want to have to ask customers to put on their masks and what if they don’t have one, am I going to have to turn them away? If masks become optional in supermarkets how will older and vulnerable customers feel about shopping there? I really don’t think this has been thought through, like many of the Covid decisions made by this government.

growstuff Fri 09-Jul-21 15:02:03

OK! I'll get the sniffer dogs on the case wink. I can see the difference.

Meanwhile, if anybody's interested in what Tim Spector (from ZOE) thinks about masks:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne_nmOJ85ec

MayBee70 Fri 09-Jul-21 15:30:57

I haven’t watched it yet (will do later on ) but on DrJohns blog last night he said Tim Spector reckoned the pandemic was going to last for several more seasons. Felt a bit deflated when I heard that to be honest.

growstuff Fri 09-Jul-21 19:27:39

It's not quite what he said.

He said that the virus will be endemic (not pandemic) for years, but that's what everybody who says "we have to live with the virus" means.

I wonder what the people who say we have to live with the virus think it means.

I think Tim Spector is probably right, but rather than sticking our heads in the sand and pretending it doesn't exist, we need to find strategies of dealing with it. That means continuing to wear masks in crowded spaces, which is the opposite of what some people seem to be saying.

It also means strengthening local authority infection control teams and having robust measures in place when there are outbreaks, which there will be.

I think there really must be investment in school classrooms to make them safer places. I wonder how many people realise that classroom windows often don't open. Classrooms should also be fitted with CO2 monitors.

We also need to think carefully about international travel, which could mean routine PCR testing from certain countries (if they'll have us).

etc etc

MayBee70 Fri 09-Jul-21 20:00:20

He said a few weeks ago that it had become endemic but I thought DrJohns comment last night meant that he’d changed his ideas in some recently. I need to listen again.

MayBee70 Fri 09-Jul-21 20:01:01

Changed his ideas again….

PippaZ Fri 09-Jul-21 20:28:12

M0nica

Lucca, I was referring to the notice you posted. A classic case of emotional blackmail if ever I saw one. I was not referring to you.

People who expect everyone to wear masks because they need protection or are afraid of abandoning them, are in their way being just as selfish as unmaskers who do not comply with Chris Whitty's limitations. My view of my fellow citizens is not as jaundiced as that of other people on this thread, I think most will be casreful of other people.

As I said, many of those who will act selfishly after abandoning masks are probably, not obeying the rules, other than in a token way now.

Wearing a mask in enclosed and busy spaces is just the same as using a handkerchief when you sneeze. If someone doesn't use one, they are either rude, ignorant or selfish or possibly all three. If we are now all to make decisions for ourselves we are, more than ever, responsible for others, so such people may be rude, ignorant, selfish, and irresponsible.

Margiknot Sat 10-Jul-21 17:48:59

I rather hope there will be clear guidance about when to wear masks and social distance etc. once it is no longer mandated. Make it clear that rather than being forced to mitigate risk all of the time, it is our social responsibility to decide if and when to mitigate or avoid! For instance it should be made clear to us all that if a competent body ( eg hospital as part of their infection control policy to protect all patients) demands we wear a mask we should ( if we are able to) do so even if the law does not demand it.
I suspect that there is an underlying plan to let the virus run through the young to achieve natural immunity.

PippaZ Sat 10-Jul-21 18:39:41

I suspect that there is an underlying plan to let the virus run through the young to achieve natural immunity.

I can't see any other reason Margiknot but I would add "whatever damage it does" to the end of your sentence. I don't think Johnson cares how many of our young people suffer from Long Covid - something we know even less about than we do the virus.

MayBee70 Sat 10-Jul-21 19:00:31

Listening to Dr Nigel from Australia today he agrees with Dr John in that fully vaccinated people may ( this is only a ‘may’) develop more immunity if exposed to the Delta variant. However, in Australia, the people in the ICU’s and on ventilators are actually quite young: one is just 18, so to let it rip through younger unvaccinated people is very dangerous. We’re taking part in a very dangerous experiment imo. Especially if this other new variant takes off….continued mask wearing will at least reduce the viral load when younger people are infected. If we looked back into history and saw a government using people as an experiment on a scale like this we would be horrified and ask how the people of that country could possibly allow it to happen,

Casdon Sun 11-Jul-21 07:00:15

In Wales our government is more cautious than the UK Government, it’s just been reported on the news that face masks will be retained on public transport and in healthcare settings, and possibly more. I wonder if Scotland and NI will do the same?

vegansrock Sun 11-Jul-21 07:05:57

I can think of no good reason to abandon mask wearing on public transport and medical settings other than to pander to the selfish. It does not stop the economy opening up.

25Avalon Sun 11-Jul-21 09:25:28

There’s a chap in Bristol has 165,000 signatures so far on a petition for it to be compulsory for face mask wearing in shops and other public places to continue. This is because there is so much of the Delta variant increasing all the time.

growstuff Sun 11-Jul-21 09:33:41

It looks as though there's going to be some backtracking about the guidance for mask-wearing in public places. Apparently, there's going to be an announcement on Monday.

Callistemon Sun 11-Jul-21 09:36:53

Casdon

In Wales our government is more cautious than the UK Government, it’s just been reported on the news that face masks will be retained on public transport and in healthcare settings, and possibly more. I wonder if Scotland and NI will do the same?

That sounds sensible.
I'm relieved as DGC travel on public transport to school - both for them and for other passengers.

However, all could change again by September.

Alegrias1 Sun 11-Jul-21 09:42:47

Situation in Scotland:

www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/nicola-sturgeon-warns-face-mask-rules-in-scotland-will-not-be-ending-any-time-really-soon/ar-AALV3T5?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Mollygo Sun 11-Jul-21 09:44:00

I expect there will be some backtracking on face coverings, but those who don’t want to wear them still won’t wear them whichever part of the UK they’re in. Analysing the variation in opinion on GN is interesting.
I wondered if the original announcement was to test the public feeling about relaxing rules.

Chocgran Sun 11-Jul-21 10:04:32

I agree @Mollygo and I will continue to avoid non mask wearers in indoor spaces and avoid places where they are in large numbers. It has already affected my choices of supermarkets and shops. I have walked out without making purchases and expect to continue to do so.

Caleo Sun 11-Jul-21 10:08:52

Pippa, common sense that even the most stubborn libertarians (like Boris)would understand.

"Wearing a mask in enclosed and busy spaces is just the same as using a handkerchief when you sneeze. If someone doesn't use one, they are either rude, ignorant or selfish or possibly all three. If we are now all to make decisions for ourselves we are, more than ever, responsible for others, so such people may be rude, ignorant, selfish, and irresponsible."

growstuff Sun 11-Jul-21 10:39:35

Mollygo

I expect there will be some backtracking on face coverings, but those who don’t want to wear them still won’t wear them whichever part of the UK they’re in. Analysing the variation in opinion on GN is interesting.
I wondered if the original announcement was to test the public feeling about relaxing rules.

I'm absolutely sure that your last sentence is correct. That's how the government seems to operate. The trouble is that it causes resentment from both sides.

varian Sun 11-Jul-21 10:47:10

The argument for relaxing all the rules is along the lines of "we've got to get the economy going again" but I can't see how keeping the mask wearing rule in shops, public transport and medical settings affects the economy at all

25Avalon Sun 11-Jul-21 10:55:36

It looks like instead of having to wear face masks we will be expected to wear face masks.

growstuff Sun 11-Jul-21 10:56:00

varian

The argument for relaxing all the rules is along the lines of "we've got to get the economy going again" but I can't see how keeping the mask wearing rule in shops, public transport and medical settings affects the economy at all

Neither do I. It's become a sort of "catch all" mantra. I don't see the logic of it all.

Yes, let's open up businesses, but it seems to me that the surest way of keeping them open is to be careful when we use them.

growstuff Sun 11-Jul-21 10:56:39

25Avalon

It looks like instead of having to wear face masks we will be expected to wear face masks.

Lol. Sounds like an essay title - Discuss the difference!

Greeneyedgirl Sun 11-Jul-21 11:04:15

If there is total abandonment of all restrictions on 19th there are going to be so many anxious and vulnerable people who will feel completely unprotected. Mental health generally has deteriorated during the pandemic, and this complete unlocking will not help.
I agree with you Mollygo another backtrack as usual is on the cards.
I do not think we can carry on with restrictions for ever of course, but the government could have helped fund mitigation for example for improved ventilation in premises such as restaurants and schools. I went to a restaurant yesterday where non of the plate glass windows opened! I ate outside.

Galaxy Sun 11-Jul-21 11:51:19

They are backtracking like crazy, it wouldnt amaze me if the word expected has changed by Monday.