Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

So masks are to become optional, do you think this is a good idea?

(463 Posts)
Bossyrossy Sun 04-Jul-21 18:42:54

I know we can’t wear masks forever but is this a good time to make them optional with the Delta variant running wild? DH and I run a small shop, we are in the vulnerable age group but have both had two jabs. At the moment all our customers wear masks and we all feel safer for it. I don’t want to have to ask customers to put on their masks and what if they don’t have one, am I going to have to turn them away? If masks become optional in supermarkets how will older and vulnerable customers feel about shopping there? I really don’t think this has been thought through, like many of the Covid decisions made by this government.

Mollygo Sun 11-Jul-21 21:09:03

Thank goodness he didn’t thump you maddyone. I’ve seen a lot of people throughout mask wearing time, not wearing them properly. We’re likely to see a lot more.
My Welsh nephew-by-marriage has never worn his properly, despite my niece and my sister telling him. Perhaps Mr Drakeford will have more impact.

maddyone Sun 11-Jul-21 20:27:05

Perhaps I should have done the same, but it so annoyed me that I had to say something. I didn’t think he’d thump me in front of four witnesses.

maddyone Sun 11-Jul-21 20:25:23

Yes, I’m sure you’re right Maybee.

MayBee70 Sun 11-Jul-21 20:25:18

Drakeford says masks are still mandatory in Wales. Good for him!

MayBee70 Sun 11-Jul-21 20:22:37

maddyone

Unfortunately Maybee, shopkeepers haven’t been enforcing the wearing of masks anyway. I agree it will be even more difficult for them if mask wearing is made optional.

They were advised to avoid confrontation I believe.

maddyone Sun 11-Jul-21 20:18:25

I was in the hospital visiting my elderly mother who has had a fall and broken a bone in her shoulder (one person visiting daily is now allowed) and I got into the lift. I was wearing my mask as required and four other people were doing the same, when a young man got in. He looked about 20-23 years old. He wore a mask under his chin. I pointed out to him that masks are supposed to be worn over the mouth and nose, not under the chin. He told me that if I want to give out orders I should be wearing a uniform, but he pulled the mask over his nose. I turned my back on him and didn’t engage any further. As he left the lift at the next stop, he pulled the mask back down under his chin. If mask wearing is to be made voluntary, none of us will be able to legitimately ask a person to comply with mask wearing, even inside a hospital.

maddyone Sun 11-Jul-21 20:10:20

Unfortunately Maybee, shopkeepers haven’t been enforcing the wearing of masks anyway. I agree it will be even more difficult for them if mask wearing is made optional.

varian Sun 11-Jul-21 19:26:52

The government should resort to the "driven by data" mantra and say that mask wearing needs to be compulsory in shops, medical settings and public transport.

MayBee70 Sun 11-Jul-21 17:05:32

The government are already starting to back track saying they advise mask wearing. But it’s too late and shopkeepers etc will not be able to enforce it in any way.

Daisend1 Sun 11-Jul-21 13:24:38

Happiyogi
It is foolhardy on the part of RJ to imply persons use discretion.
Our resistance against serious illness and infection is lowered the moment we catch a common cold /cough.
I will certainly keep wearing my mask.

MayBee70 Sun 11-Jul-21 12:48:57

I understand there was a huge freedom party in Brighton yesterday which included face painting for children etc. HoweverI don’t think as many people turned as was expected.

PippaZ Sun 11-Jul-21 12:04:34

In some ways we do need to make it socially unacceptable rather than illegal, with perhaps some legal back-up, not to wear a mask or social distance. But Boris and some of the media have made this such a childish point of "freedom" that it will now be more difficult. Stupid man.

Galaxy Sun 11-Jul-21 11:51:19

They are backtracking like crazy, it wouldnt amaze me if the word expected has changed by Monday.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 11-Jul-21 11:04:15

If there is total abandonment of all restrictions on 19th there are going to be so many anxious and vulnerable people who will feel completely unprotected. Mental health generally has deteriorated during the pandemic, and this complete unlocking will not help.
I agree with you Mollygo another backtrack as usual is on the cards.
I do not think we can carry on with restrictions for ever of course, but the government could have helped fund mitigation for example for improved ventilation in premises such as restaurants and schools. I went to a restaurant yesterday where non of the plate glass windows opened! I ate outside.

growstuff Sun 11-Jul-21 10:56:39

25Avalon

It looks like instead of having to wear face masks we will be expected to wear face masks.

Lol. Sounds like an essay title - Discuss the difference!

growstuff Sun 11-Jul-21 10:56:00

varian

The argument for relaxing all the rules is along the lines of "we've got to get the economy going again" but I can't see how keeping the mask wearing rule in shops, public transport and medical settings affects the economy at all

Neither do I. It's become a sort of "catch all" mantra. I don't see the logic of it all.

Yes, let's open up businesses, but it seems to me that the surest way of keeping them open is to be careful when we use them.

25Avalon Sun 11-Jul-21 10:55:36

It looks like instead of having to wear face masks we will be expected to wear face masks.

varian Sun 11-Jul-21 10:47:10

The argument for relaxing all the rules is along the lines of "we've got to get the economy going again" but I can't see how keeping the mask wearing rule in shops, public transport and medical settings affects the economy at all

growstuff Sun 11-Jul-21 10:39:35

Mollygo

I expect there will be some backtracking on face coverings, but those who don’t want to wear them still won’t wear them whichever part of the UK they’re in. Analysing the variation in opinion on GN is interesting.
I wondered if the original announcement was to test the public feeling about relaxing rules.

I'm absolutely sure that your last sentence is correct. That's how the government seems to operate. The trouble is that it causes resentment from both sides.

Caleo Sun 11-Jul-21 10:08:52

Pippa, common sense that even the most stubborn libertarians (like Boris)would understand.

"Wearing a mask in enclosed and busy spaces is just the same as using a handkerchief when you sneeze. If someone doesn't use one, they are either rude, ignorant or selfish or possibly all three. If we are now all to make decisions for ourselves we are, more than ever, responsible for others, so such people may be rude, ignorant, selfish, and irresponsible."

Chocgran Sun 11-Jul-21 10:04:32

I agree @Mollygo and I will continue to avoid non mask wearers in indoor spaces and avoid places where they are in large numbers. It has already affected my choices of supermarkets and shops. I have walked out without making purchases and expect to continue to do so.

Mollygo Sun 11-Jul-21 09:44:00

I expect there will be some backtracking on face coverings, but those who don’t want to wear them still won’t wear them whichever part of the UK they’re in. Analysing the variation in opinion on GN is interesting.
I wondered if the original announcement was to test the public feeling about relaxing rules.

Alegrias1 Sun 11-Jul-21 09:42:47

Situation in Scotland:

www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/nicola-sturgeon-warns-face-mask-rules-in-scotland-will-not-be-ending-any-time-really-soon/ar-AALV3T5?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Callistemon Sun 11-Jul-21 09:36:53

Casdon

In Wales our government is more cautious than the UK Government, it’s just been reported on the news that face masks will be retained on public transport and in healthcare settings, and possibly more. I wonder if Scotland and NI will do the same?

That sounds sensible.
I'm relieved as DGC travel on public transport to school - both for them and for other passengers.

However, all could change again by September.

growstuff Sun 11-Jul-21 09:33:41

It looks as though there's going to be some backtracking about the guidance for mask-wearing in public places. Apparently, there's going to be an announcement on Monday.