Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Dr John Campbell and blood clots

(64 Posts)
growstuff Wed 07-Jul-21 02:49:26

Interesting video from Dr John Campbell about the method of administering vaccines and possible reason for blood clots with the Oxford/AZ vaccine:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3lx6Scwfhg

Worth watching because scare stories about the vaccine have had a major impact on uptake.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Jul-21 03:31:12

He is so informative and is the one I listen to more than anyone else for information..

growstuff Wed 07-Jul-21 05:21:23

I thought this one particularly interesting. In it, he has a reply from Nadhim Zahawi. Zahawi is just wrong and Campbell's frustration is evident. I don't think I've ever seen him so angry.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Jul-21 06:41:06

I think it is the ignorance shown by this government that is making the clinicians so angry.

MayBee70 Fri 09-Jul-21 19:23:27

I listen to Dr John every day without fail. Quite honestly I don’t know what I would have done without him over the past 18 months. I really would like to have the needle aspirated when I have my booster. As he pointed out if you don’t aspirate the needle how can you possibly state that not aspirating the needle isn’t causing blood clots. I was a bit worried when I had my second vaccine as there was a speck of blood on my arm and I was really worried that it hadn’t gone into the muscle and I wasn’t fully covered. That’s one reason why I’m still being careful. I also would like more research into the use of ivermectin.

Lin52 Fri 09-Jul-21 22:32:45

Whitewavemark2

I think it is the ignorance shown by this government that is making the clinicians so angry.

Evidence based research says unless injecting into the gluteus maximus, aspiration not required
It is common practice to draw back on a syringe after the needle is inserted to check whether it is in a blood vessel. While it is important to aspirate if the DG muscle site is used – because of proximity to the gluteal artery – it is not required for other IM injection sites (PHE, 2013; Malkin, 2008). So the charge of ignorance is unfounded. The WHO also states aspiration technique is not necessary. The WHO Best Practices for Injections and Related Procedures Toolkit. All evidence based research, it is not evidence based research to continue to aspirate, just because “I’ve always done it.”
To aspirate properly, should be for 5 to 10 seconds, most aspirate for only one, rendering the exercise obsolete. Much damage has been done by putting forward non researched based practice, and from the EU with their knee jerk banning of Oxford AZ.

Lin52 Fri 09-Jul-21 22:38:31

MayBee70

I listen to Dr John every day without fail. Quite honestly I don’t know what I would have done without him over the past 18 months. I really would like to have the needle aspirated when I have my booster. As he pointed out if you don’t aspirate the needle how can you possibly state that not aspirating the needle isn’t causing blood clots. I was a bit worried when I had my second vaccine as there was a speck of blood on my arm and I was really worried that it hadn’t gone into the muscle and I wasn’t fully covered. That’s one reason why I’m still being careful. I also would like more research into the use of ivermectin.

Often when the needle is withdrawn the tip catches a capillary on the way out of vaccination site, therefore a drop of blood appears. Hope this reassures. As ex Nurse, I did not request my vaccinator to aspirate, pulling back on a needle for 5 to 10 seconds in a small area can make injection painful.

MayBee70 Sat 10-Jul-21 15:13:55

Thanks Lin. I do bleed/bruise very easily. I think the reason why they don’t aspirate is because it might put people off having a second vaccine. Swings and roundabouts.

welbeck Sat 10-Jul-21 15:19:54

it's no good asking them to, as they wouldn't be allowed to do it.
they have to follow the protocol for administering this vaccine exactly.

ElaineI Sun 11-Jul-21 09:27:19

The guidance for IM injections has been not to aspirate for many years now.

growstuff Sun 11-Jul-21 09:31:10

Thanks for the input from people with experience and knowledge.

I must admit I was a bit shocked by the reply Dr John Campbell received, but I understand the context better now.

Visgir1 Sun 11-Jul-21 11:36:34

Elaine is correct
Plus... Not a peer reviewed paper.

MayBee70 Sun 11-Jul-21 12:16:35

But In China they aspirate the needle. If only we knew the incidence of post vaccine blood clots there. Either way, the vaccine hesitancy caused by publicity about adverse reactions has probably resulted in many covid related deaths in non vaccinated people. I understand that we mustn’t ignore any reactions but it’s something that has made many people think twice about having the vaccine.

FoghornLeghorn Thu 15-Jul-21 01:34:37

MayBee70

Thanks Lin. I do bleed/bruise very easily. I think the reason why they don’t aspirate is because it might put people off having a second vaccine. Swings and roundabouts.

No. The reason we don’t aspirate is that it isn’t best practice to do so. It’s unnecessary when injecting into the deltoid muscle.

MayBee70 Thu 15-Jul-21 10:11:47

Is there absolutely no risk whatsoever of accidentally injecting into a vein? None whatsoever under any circumstances.

growstuff Tue 20-Jul-21 02:56:23

The Serum Institute in Denmark and France are now recommending aspiration before administration of the AZ vaccine.

www.coronaheadsup.com/coronavirus/denmarks-ssi-recommends-changes-to-syringe-injection-method-for-coronavirus-vaccines/

Jaffacake2 Tue 20-Jul-21 06:49:33

After listening to one of his videos I thought I would look up Dr Johns background. He is a doctor due to having a PhD and not a medical doctor. He is a nurse and nurse teacher. Very watchable but just thought I would share the information.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Jul-21 06:54:24

My cousin who is in her final year of training as a doctor, says that she is absolute awe of nurses and their incredible professionalism, dedication and sheer hard work.

Jaffacake2 Tue 20-Jul-21 07:01:14

Whitewavemark2

My cousin who is in her final year of training as a doctor, says that she is absolute awe of nurses and their incredible professionalism, dedication and sheer hard work.

I wasn't demeaning the fact he is a nurse by any means. I just like to look up the background of people who are discussing covid. I am a retired nurse after 40 years !!

gmarie Tue 20-Jul-21 07:10:26

Dr. Campbell must be the UK equivalent of our Dr. Fauci here in the states. smile I listen to him whenever he's interviewed and was happy to get the "Fauci ouchie" as it's jokingly referred to here! grin

Alegrias1 Tue 20-Jul-21 08:09:04

From his You Tube Channel: "John Campbell is a retired Nurse Teacher and A and E nurse based in England. I also do some teaching in Asia and Africa when time permits. These videos are to help students to learn the background to all forms of health care. My PhD focused on the development of open learning resources for nurses nationally and internationally."

from Wikipedia: As a physician with the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Fauci has served the American public health sector in various capacities for more than 50 years, and has acted as an advisor to every U.S. president since Ronald Reagan. He became director of the NIAID in 1984 and has made contributions to HIV/AIDS research and other immunodeficiency diseases, both as a research scientist and as the head of the NIAID From 1983 to 2002, Fauci was one of the world's most frequently-cited scientists across all scientific journals.

Dr Campbell is very good at the interpretation of research and data but he is nothing like Dr Fauci.

MayBee70 Tue 20-Jul-21 12:38:15

As someone that has listened to Dr John right from the start of the pandemic I must point out that he has rarely been wrong about anything and pre empts a lot of things. If you watch one of his blogs going back to January 2020 he was warning about the danger coming from China, was advising people to wear masks etc. He does err on the side of caution but surely that’s the best thing to do in a pandemic. And he puts links to all the information he uses so anyone can check out the reasoning behind his ideas. He seems to be respected worldwide and has a worldwide following. He has been a lifeline to me during the pandemic and I’m so grateful to the person on gransnet who first mentioned him. I challenge anyone to listen to any of his blogs and find fault with what he says. There was an interesting web chat on yesterday’s blog with a retired Australian doctor who asked the nurse to aspirate the needle when he had his second vaccine and the nurse had no idea how to do it. Dr John also believes there is nothing better than first hand accounts when it comes to seeing how other countries are handling the pandemic.

Alegrias1 Tue 20-Jul-21 12:41:39

Vitamin D?

Ivermectin?

I think he is doing a great job of sharing the information with a wider audience but he is not infallible.

MayBee70 Tue 20-Jul-21 12:42:35

It’s all very well having a brain the size of the universe but if you can’t get your message across in language that normal people understand it’s a waste of time. I used to work with a doctor whose patients would come out of his surgery looking totally confused. I would call them over and explain to them things like ‘you take one pink tablet and two blue tablets’. This was before all tablets were packaged.

MayBee70 Tue 20-Jul-21 12:45:07

Perhaps you should do a web chat with DrJohn so we could all bow to your superior knowledge Algerias. . I’m sure he’d be quite open to that.