Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Covid Vaccanation Anxiety

(51 Posts)
NannieN Fri 09-Jul-21 15:44:56

I appreciate the benefits that the vaccination offers and the potential harm that the virus can cause. I understand that the vaccine has been made available so quickly due to the collaboration of people who would not normally work together. I get that lockdown restrictions have only started to be lifted due to the fantastic vaccination roll out programme. I get all the points that people highlight when I say I would prefer not to have the vaccination.
For me personally. I am not over keen on taking medicine and only take 1 paracetamol at a time for a headache. Don’t get me wrong I’m not my body is a temple kind of person as I drink and eat all the wrong things, but I am over cautious when it comes to medication. I pay too much attention to the potential side effects. Coming from a family with a history of blood clots the potential of receiving the AZ injection just filled me with panic.
However, instead of finding people understanding regarding my anxiety of being vaccinated. I have found people have treated me as selfish, avoided me and bullied me into it. The NHS have contacted me approx. me every 3 days to make an appointment and even called to explain the process of making a booking rather than understanding I’m quite fearful of the vaccination and would prefer not to have it
Today I have had my first vaccination 4 months after becoming eligible and I don’t feel relived that I have had it and I have done the right thing. I feel anxious of what has been put into my body and the potential harm it could be doing me. { I have no foundation to feeling like this}.Does anyone else feel that they didn’t have the vaccination from their own free choice but have felt pressurised to go through with it

Chestnut Fri 09-Jul-21 15:52:29

I was very fearful of the virus as I felt it could easily kill me, so I was keen to have the vaccine. Sometimes it's the lesser of two evils. If you caught the virus that would not have been through choice either, and it could have been much more dangerous.

JaneJudge Fri 09-Jul-21 15:59:16

would you feel better having the pfizer or moderna?

NannieN Fri 09-Jul-21 16:01:51

Feel a bit better regarding the Pfizer

Alegrias1 Fri 09-Jul-21 16:03:05

NannieN first of all, well done for deciding to have the vaccine flowers I know that you said you did it "under protest" so to speak, but you have done the right thing, for you and for people you interreact with.

Regarding blood clots, I believe that the type of blood clot that happens with the AZ vaccine is very different to the "standard" blood clot, but someone with more medical knowledge that me might come along to confirm that. But I do know that the chance of a clot is miniscule compared with the chances of being ill with Covid, and one of the results of Covid can be blood clots, of course. I had a serious blood clotting event about 10 years ago, they never found the cause but it didn't prevent me from jumping at the chance of having the vaccine.

I think it all comes down to risk; the tiny, tiny risk that you face with getting the vaccine, or the considerably larger risk of getting a bad case of Covid. If we have a headache, we can probably survive with just one paracetamol, but being vaccinated is the best way to avoid Covid which would certainly lead to much more illness and more medication.

I hope you decide to take the second dose, please let us know!

AGAA4 Fri 09-Jul-21 16:06:22

You have done the right thing by being vaccinated for yourself and others. Covid cases are growing every day and the damage it can do can't be underestimated.
I understand your reluctance to take medication but in this case the vaccine is definitely the lessser evil.

Shelflife Fri 09-Jul-21 16:23:57

NannieN , very well done indeed for facing your fear and having the vaccine , although I think it unfair that you were bullied into it ! I do understand how fearful some people are and would normally support a persons wish not to have routine vaccination. However this is a global pandemic and if no one was vaccinated then heaven help us all. So I commend you. Personally I couldn't wait to visit the vaccine centre, had both and very relieved. I know it is not 100% but hopefully if I contact Covid I won't end up on a ventilator!!! I do hope you have the second , and have no side effects. Well done again !

rafichagran Fri 09-Jul-21 16:50:45

You should not have been bullied, it's no one's business,but if they avoid you that I am afraid is their choice, as they too are frightened of catching the virus.
Desitions such as the one you made have consequences. I would not avoid you, but some people are very fearful of catching covid.
I am glad you had the vaccine but just wish it was o your terms, not because you felt bullied.

M0nica Fri 09-Jul-21 16:52:53

Not easy to overcome an ingrained fear, especially when, as you say, you really do not know what is at the root of it,

I avoided the flu jab for a decade, not only had I never had flu, but no one in my family had either. My sisters and I had whethered a major epidemic when we were at boarding school and my father was working on a large military base. Like you I had an irrational fear. In my case that having the flu jab could actually damage my immunity.

However, I read an article that said that the flu jab did not just protect you from flu, but boostered your general level of immunity. So, with some reluctance, I had the jab. Now I cannot understand my previous irrational fears.

What you have now done has not just protected you from a far greater risk of damage to yourself but also the chance that by not having it you could be putting your nearest and dearest at risk of a dangerous and unpleasant illness.

CafeAuLait Sat 10-Jul-21 00:05:54

NannieN, I too am reluctantly vaccinated, though wasn't bullied into it. I did choose it and called to make the appointment myself. In the end, I had my reasons. There must be reasons you decided to go ahead with it too. Focus on those.

I have committed to doing the first two shots. At this point I have not committed to any boosters in future. I'm taking it step by step. Maybe this is a good approach for you too?

Biscuitmuncher Sat 10-Jul-21 06:59:07

I'm not vaccinated, I wont be bullied

Gossamerbeynon1945 Sat 10-Jul-21 09:10:24

My husband had a stroke and has post stroke epilepsy. He has had both AstraZenica vaccines and was fine afterwards. No reaction to it at all. I hope this helps.

Chestnut Sat 10-Jul-21 09:11:11

Well good luck then Biscuitmucher

Shelflife Sat 10-Jul-21 09:22:13

Bucuitmuncher , please go !!? Don't you watch tv!?

Biscuitmuncher Sat 10-Jul-21 09:36:43

Shelflife what the TV that's there to terrify people? I'm not being injected with a brand new experimental drug, that gives what 6 months cover. My friends daughter has had her first jab and has been ill for three weeks, shes 20! Having covid wouldn't have made her that ill

Alegrias1 Sat 10-Jul-21 09:43:51

Shelflife what you don't understand is that Biscuitmuncher knows better than all of us. She knows better than the Oxford vaccine people, the Pfizer team, the medical authorities all over the world, the JCVI, the ONS and Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

I dare say she's done her "research".

CafeAuLait Sat 10-Jul-21 09:48:17

Biscuitmuncher

Shelflife what the TV that's there to terrify people? I'm not being injected with a brand new experimental drug, that gives what 6 months cover. My friends daughter has had her first jab and has been ill for three weeks, shes 20! Having covid wouldn't have made her that ill

You can't know that.

Peasblossom Sat 10-Jul-21 09:49:15

It might relieve some of your anxiety to know that the blood clots your family suffer from and the very rare blood clots reported for the vaccines are almost certainly two complete different things.

Common blot clots are mostly caused by constriction in the veins, blood cannot flow and gets thick at the point of constriction. Like a blocked up stream collects mud to put it simply.

The vaccine blood clots are an immune system reaction where platelets (the necessary stuff that makes your blood clot after you cut yourself ) attaches to a protein and makes a clot of lots of platelets stuck together.

They really have nothing to do with each other.

A bit like your house flooding because your drains got blocked up with nappies or your house flooding because it rained and the river burst.
The result might appear the same but the cause is very different.

Biscuitmuncher Sat 10-Jul-21 09:54:35

You do know that Pfizer and all are big businesses don't you

CafeAuLait Sat 10-Jul-21 09:58:17

Biscuitmuncher

Of course they are. However it still doesn't follow that your niece would have reacted better to a disease than the vaccine. You can't possibly know that.

CafeAuLait Sat 10-Jul-21 09:59:07

CafeAuLait

Biscuitmuncher

Of course they are. However it still doesn't follow that your niece would have reacted better to a disease than the vaccine. You can't possibly know that.

Or rather, your friend's daughter.

silverlining48 Sat 10-Jul-21 09:59:29

For any that have refused a vaccination would they also refuse treatment if they had the misfortune to catch covid? Would they expect medical staff to risk their own health?. Just curious.
I have a friend who has refused the jab and refuses to wear a mask. Intelligent articulate highly educated woman late 70 s so clearly at risk herself and more , causing risk to others. She couldn’t answer that question.

Alegrias1 Sat 10-Jul-21 10:03:56

Biscuitmuncher

Never! See what I mean, Biscuitmuncher knows things that the rest of us don't!

JenniferEccles Sat 10-Jul-21 10:05:54

If the vaccine refusers had done their research they would know that the Astra Zeneca vaccine was produced under a ‘not for profit’ basis.

Why is it that those who have refused the vaccine seem almost proud of their silly decision by coming on forums like this to boast about their misguided decision?

Polly12 Sat 10-Jul-21 10:08:39

Peasblossom

It might relieve some of your anxiety to know that the blood clots your family suffer from and the very rare blood clots reported for the vaccines are almost certainly two complete different things.

Common blot clots are mostly caused by constriction in the veins, blood cannot flow and gets thick at the point of constriction. Like a blocked up stream collects mud to put it simply.

The vaccine blood clots are an immune system reaction where platelets (the necessary stuff that makes your blood clot after you cut yourself ) attaches to a protein and makes a clot of lots of platelets stuck together.

They really have nothing to do with each other.

A bit like your house flooding because your drains got blocked up with nappies or your house flooding because it rained and the river burst.
The result might appear the same but the cause is very different.

Thank you for that info