Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Why are the young reluctant to take the vaccine?

(136 Posts)
MawBe Sat 10-Jul-21 11:05:06

In today’s Times
While more than 95 per cent of the over-50s have been vaccinated, the rate is 76 per cent in those aged 30-34 and is now plateauing. So far 58 per cent of those aged 18 to 24 have had a first jab.

Unvaccinated young people are believed to be behind a rise in cases. One in 160 people in England were thought to have the coronavirus after a 58 per cent rise over seven days, according to the Office for National Statistics. It estimates that 332,900 people had the virus in the week ending July 3, similar to levels in mid-October, with cases more than ten times higher in those aged 16-24 than the over-70s

So why the apparent reluctance? Are they complacent? Or perhaps they associate it with us old dears (remember the misguided and unfortunate “Don’t Kill Your Granny” campaign?
Perhaps they feel secure, believing they won’t get it seriously or that they somehow are immune.
Or are they less aware of the benefits of vaccination despite benefiting from immunisation more that any previous generation?
Whatever it is, this needs to be addressed to protect everybody

Caleo Fri 30-Jul-21 13:17:36

The head midwife today on BBC TV said the vaccine for pregnant women protects the foetus thus: if the mother gets covid and needs to be hospitalised she might need to be nursed on her tummy. Pregnant women who have covid may need caesarean section, and their baby will be premature. Premature babies are not very strong. So the pregant woman needs to protect herself in order to protect the life of her baby.

I hope I have reported this correctly.

Gabrielle56 Fri 30-Jul-21 12:55:27

ayse

I’ve just read on BBC that the Pfizer vaccine can have the unwelcome side effect of a heart problem especially for young men, although this is rare.

We just don’t know about any long term effects of any of these vaccines.

Here we go............"I've just read" or "they" say......."or. " Someone knows someone..."! We used to play this at school! Chinese whispers anyone?......

OnwardandUpward Tue 27-Jul-21 10:14:15

It's true. I follow Dr Samantha Batt Rawden on Twitter and have done all along. If you want to know what is really happening I recommend following her. She is an NHS Dr who has campaigned against misinformation all along. If you want to help her you can favourite her posts or retweet her. The NHS need all the support they can get.
If you want to know what is really happening you can google a hashtag, too. A lot happens that the news channels never report.

Scorp007 Tue 27-Jul-21 10:08:10

Twitter is awash with coronavirus information and studies - it is NOT just a chat/social media site. Politicians, the government, doctors, epidemiologists,virologists, ONS etc all post there. It really is the place to go nowadays for up to date news and information. Alas the BBC/ITV etc are very selective with what they report.

Savvy Thu 22-Jul-21 00:15:14

I was talking to a neighbour yesterday, a young mother with two children, the eldest of which is only 8. I asked if she'd had her jabs and she said no. When I asked her why, she replied 'well you only need them to go clubbing and I never go anywhere.' I was astounded! She may not be going clubbing, but she certainly goes shopping, to take the kids to school, to visit her parents and her boyfriend - all of which is on public transport!

OnwardandUpward Sat 17-Jul-21 11:36:22

Ellianne

^EllianneIs there any evidence of other vaccinations affecting the foetus?^ I don't know, maybe not Monica. I guess it's not usually the sort of thing an expectant mother asks at her first ante natal appointment, but it was categorically the advice given in this instance of the 2nd covid jab. I am keen to listen if anyone here finds out more.
I believe someone further up the thread said it might be an idea not to get pregnant while covid is around, but with the biological clock ticking or a person having difficulties conceiving, time may be of the essence. Another ghastly reminder we are all in this for the long haul.

I mentioned that I would probably avoid it, but its easy for me to say as I'm past the age of wanting to reproduce. What I should have said is, I feel sorry for anyone reproducing in these times. I look back to the times when I was pregnant and think how simple life was back then.

Totally understandable that biological clocks will still be ticking, just sorry for the extra stress it will involve. I read somewhere (not sure if it was correct) that unvaccinated pregnant women will need to isolate for their whole pregnancy and that if they catch covid it can make stillbirth twice as likely? I do pity the young.

Ellianne Sat 17-Jul-21 09:55:00

?

growstuff Sat 17-Jul-21 09:51:24

The Royal College of of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists has produced an information sheet.

www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/2021-02-24-combined-info-sheet-and-decision-aid.pdf

growstuff Sat 17-Jul-21 09:47:08

The official NHS advice is for pregnant women to be vaccinated.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine/

Ellianne Sat 17-Jul-21 09:36:02

EllianneIs there any evidence of other vaccinations affecting the foetus? I don't know, maybe not Monica. I guess it's not usually the sort of thing an expectant mother asks at her first ante natal appointment, but it was categorically the advice given in this instance of the 2nd covid jab. I am keen to listen if anyone here finds out more.
I believe someone further up the thread said it might be an idea not to get pregnant while covid is around, but with the biological clock ticking or a person having difficulties conceiving, time may be of the essence. Another ghastly reminder we are all in this for the long haul.

MaizieD Sat 17-Jul-21 09:19:57

There is a difference between what we eat and drink, which goes through the digestive system into maintaining our body and everything in it, and vaccination, which is injected into the body and is processed by our body in an entirely difrent way

There isn't any difference in the way that the essential nutrients extracted from food and the antibodies which fight infections are carried around the body. They are delivered via the bloodstream. Maternal blood is exchanged with the foetus via the placenta. That's how it is nourished. I assume that if nutrients can be transferred via the bloodstream so can other things.

Biologists, what do you say?

M0nica Sat 17-Jul-21 07:32:34

Ellianne Yes, this came up in the interview. I missed part of it but the scientist involved was part of the Oxford University research centre that helped develop the AZ vaccine and someone who was pregnant rang up saying that every medical contact she had gave different advice, from have it now, to do not have it until afterwards, and everything in between.

One of the things that has bemused me about the roll out of the vaccine is the number of medical staff who have refused the vaccine and justified their decision by quoting all the different myths against it promulgated by the Anti-vaxxers. In fact one of the most extreme leaders of the anti-vax movement in the UK is an ex-nurse.

Elliane Is there any evidence of other vaccinations affecting the foetus? I have not heard of any. There is a difference between what we eat and drink, which goes through the digestive system into maintaining our body and everything in it, and vaccination, which is injected into the body and is processed by our body in an entirely difrent way.

growstuff Fri 16-Jul-21 23:56:51

Ellianne

Thank you for The Guardian article growstuff. So many mixed messages.
I'm not medical but assume the vaccine in pregnancy would be safest during the 2nd or 3rd trimestre? A bit like being told not to consume alcohol or dodgy foods early on in the pregnancy due to the toxins reaching the embryo. It must be something to do with how the placenta works during the 9 months?
It is very hard for expectant mothers to make the huge decision, and the same for parents struggling to consider having their under 10s vaccinated if that becomes offered. I would be very torn.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit torn. Other countries have been the guinea pigs for vaccinating pregnant women and children and have not reported any significant concerns. On the other hand, it's known that pregnant women can be seriously ill with Covid and even young children suffer long Covid.

growstuff Fri 16-Jul-21 23:53:39

Casdon That's a really high uptake in the youngest age group, considering they haven't had time to have the second dose yet.

I noticed on another graph that vaccine rates in Wales are higher than the average for the UK. I don't know whether it's a coincidence, but case incidence rates in Wales are relatively low too.

Casdon Fri 16-Jul-21 22:56:06

ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1632/idt2/idt2/b196bce0-b1d1-4329-be1e-3dab58efaffc/image/816
Here’s the Wales equivalent graph. What would concern me most if I had any influence is the relatively low uptake of the 40- 49 age group as they are considerably more likely to end up seriously ill rather than the 18-29s. There’s a campaign happening here to try to persuade the vaccine hesitant to come forward now, but it seems that across the UK uptake is going to be less the lower the perceived risk.

OnwardandUpward Fri 16-Jul-21 22:43:22

growstuff

OnwardandUpward

Fair enough. I must admit, I wouldn't want to get pregnant in a pandemic because the bodys immune system isn't in our favour in pregnancy. At least that's how I felt when I was pregnant...

In what way(s)?

A pregnant woman's immune system adapts to protect the baby and the mother. Different parts of the immune system are enhanced while others are suppressed.

All I know is, I felt ill when I was pregnant. Swollen glands in my neck and really run down.

Ellianne Fri 16-Jul-21 18:03:58

Thank you for The Guardian article growstuff. So many mixed messages.
I'm not medical but assume the vaccine in pregnancy would be safest during the 2nd or 3rd trimestre? A bit like being told not to consume alcohol or dodgy foods early on in the pregnancy due to the toxins reaching the embryo. It must be something to do with how the placenta works during the 9 months?
It is very hard for expectant mothers to make the huge decision, and the same for parents struggling to consider having their under 10s vaccinated if that becomes offered. I would be very torn.

growstuff Fri 16-Jul-21 15:38:42

Can somebody please produce evidence that "young people" are more vaccine hesitant than other age groups?

It would appear that 60% of all 18-24 year olds have had their first dose and about 20% have had two doses and are presumably waiting for a second dose. I've attached a graph for England, but Scotland shows a similar pattern.

Secondly, the number of vaccinations being administered has reduced. This is probably due to supply issues. As more elderly people have already had two doses, it affects them less.

growstuff Fri 16-Jul-21 15:21:36

90,000 pregnant women in the US have been vaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna without any safety concerns. It would appear that medical staff themselves are giving mixed messages, possible to cover their backs.

www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/13/mixed-advice-driving-covid-vaccine-hesitancy-in-pregnant-uk-women

If pregnant women aren't vaccinated, they have no choice but to shield themselves until they give birth. One study found that women who tested positive around the time of birth are twice as likely to have a still birth.

Ellianne Fri 16-Jul-21 15:19:07

That's interesting M0nica and although it's the opposite of what a family member here who fell pregnant during the 12 week gap was advised, it's worth keeping an eye on.

growstuff Fri 16-Jul-21 15:15:22

OnwardandUpward

Fair enough. I must admit, I wouldn't want to get pregnant in a pandemic because the bodys immune system isn't in our favour in pregnancy. At least that's how I felt when I was pregnant...

In what way(s)?

A pregnant woman's immune system adapts to protect the baby and the mother. Different parts of the immune system are enhanced while others are suppressed.

M0nica Fri 16-Jul-21 15:08:14

There was an excellent interview on the subject of the safety of the vaccine in pregnancy on Woman's Hour this morning. www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000xv7n

The scientist they interviewed, pointed out, among other things, that the number of pregnant women vaccinated in the US and Israel now runs into hundreds of thousands, many of whom have already given birth to healthy children and are unaffected themselves. There have been no reports of any harm to mother or baby.

On the other hand, if you are pregnant and not vaccinated and get COVID in the last three months of your pregnancy, you are far more likely to get the illness severely and end up on a ventilator and that is assuredly worse for mother and child.

OnwardandUpward Thu 15-Jul-21 20:42:08

Ellianne Thu 15-Jul-21 15:29:36

Females who fall pregnant after their first vaccination are being advised not to have the second one at 12 weeks.
It they shorten the gap between jabs then some might take the vaccine without even knowing about the embryo.

Jaxjacky Thu 15-Jul-21 15:20:16

GreyKnitter perhaps they’re pregnant ?