Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Why are the young reluctant to take the vaccine?

(135 Posts)
MawBe Sat 10-Jul-21 11:05:06

In today’s Times
While more than 95 per cent of the over-50s have been vaccinated, the rate is 76 per cent in those aged 30-34 and is now plateauing. So far 58 per cent of those aged 18 to 24 have had a first jab.

Unvaccinated young people are believed to be behind a rise in cases. One in 160 people in England were thought to have the coronavirus after a 58 per cent rise over seven days, according to the Office for National Statistics. It estimates that 332,900 people had the virus in the week ending July 3, similar to levels in mid-October, with cases more than ten times higher in those aged 16-24 than the over-70s

So why the apparent reluctance? Are they complacent? Or perhaps they associate it with us old dears (remember the misguided and unfortunate “Don’t Kill Your Granny” campaign?
Perhaps they feel secure, believing they won’t get it seriously or that they somehow are immune.
Or are they less aware of the benefits of vaccination despite benefiting from immunisation more that any previous generation?
Whatever it is, this needs to be addressed to protect everybody

Galaxy Sat 10-Jul-21 11:07:51

I think it probably isnt high on their priority list. The likelihood is they wont get seriously ill so dont feel under so much threat. I hate the whole pitting young against old anyway.

MawBe Sat 10-Jul-21 11:13:07

Nobody is pitting young against old.
You are making the issue unnecessarily confrontational which is insidious.
Don’t put words either in my mouth or that of the author of the article.

Baggs Sat 10-Jul-21 11:13:11

One of the reasons for reluctance that I've read about is that they are seen as experimental vaccines in the sense that nobody actually knows what the long-term consequences might be (if any).

In older people this concern matters less than it does for asomeone who has their whole adult life ahead of them.

Baggs Sat 10-Jul-21 11:14:36

Baggs

One of the reasons for reluctance that I've read about is that they are seen as experimental vaccines in the sense that nobody actually knows what the long-term consequences might be (if any).

In older people this concern matters less than it does for asomeone who has their whole adult life ahead of them.

It's this same reason that some people are arguing strongly against vaccinating children.

Baggs Sat 10-Jul-21 11:15:01

I'm only talking about covid19 vaccines.

Kate1949 Sat 10-Jul-21 11:21:45

Our 21 year old granddaughter, her boyfriend and all of their friends have had it. They were desperate to get it.

Baggs Sat 10-Jul-21 11:22:35

Couldn't remember wherre I'd read the above stuff. Now I've found it: Don't Blame Young People for Plummeting Vaccination Rates by Dr Mark Toshner.

Baggs Sat 10-Jul-21 11:23:07

Elsewhere also but that's the most recent thing I've seen.

growstuff Sat 10-Jul-21 11:23:25

"9 in 10 (90%) people aged 16 to 29 years reported positive vaccine sentiment this week (93% last week); this proportion was 63% reported at the start of the vaccination programme in December 2020" (ONS, 9 July 2021)

They don't appear to be reluctant.

Witzend Sat 10-Jul-21 11:24:34

All the young people I know have been only too pleased to have the vaccine, once it was offered.

Namsnanny Sat 10-Jul-21 11:25:01

1) They generally mistrust the Gov. more than our age group

2) Their brains are hard wired to think they won't catch it.

Namsnanny Sat 10-Jul-21 11:28:37

All the 'youngsters' I know, have been vaccinated.
But I know of (hearsay gossip) a dozen or so of 40 -75 who havent.

Alegrias1 Sat 10-Jul-21 11:28:57

Are they reluctant or is it a temporary issue with vaccine supply? growstuff you posted something about that before, I think?

MawBe Sat 10-Jul-21 11:30:43

Baggs

Couldn't remember wherre I'd read the above stuff. Now I've found it: Don't Blame Young People for Plummeting Vaccination Rates by Dr Mark Toshner.

I tend to think The Spectator tends to toe the party line. hmm

growstuff Sat 10-Jul-21 11:34:16

Alegrias1

Are they reluctant or is it a temporary issue with vaccine supply? growstuff you posted something about that before, I think?

Yes, I believe I did, but can't remember where or when. I heard/read that there's a shortage of the Pfizer vaccine, which is the one use for younger people. I'm busy at the mo, but I'll see if I can find an authoritative link - but be aware that "authorities" aren't being totally transparent about supply.

dogsmother Sat 10-Jul-21 11:34:17

One of my children has opted out but strangely not the one I’d have thought would have made that decision. But it is up to them all as individuals to make informed decisions and that is what they are doing.

CafeAuLait Sat 10-Jul-21 11:41:40

I believe I wouldn't have received it when I was in my 20s. Not yet anyway.

Galaxy Sat 10-Jul-21 11:54:25

I didnt put words in your mouth. Throughout this pandemic there has often been a narrative of young versus old, I am afraid I am free to express my views on that.

Chewbacca Sat 10-Jul-21 12:02:59

Throughout this pandemic there has often been a narrative of young versus old, I am afraid I am free to express my views on that.

Yes, of course you are but the OP wasn't pitting any generation against another; they were simply opening up a general discussion that would, if it was allowed to, be an interesting subject to discuss.

Maw our local Facebook has been running a thread for the past week or so, encouraging the under 25s to go for their vaccines because the take up around here has been quite low. Unfortunate really, as not many under 25s bother with Facebook any more!

Galaxy Sat 10-Jul-21 12:05:44

No one is stopping her. The whole whether we hold responsibility for others is part of that discussion. It's why I have reservations about the vaccination of children for the reason of protecting everyone else.

OnwardandUpward Sat 10-Jul-21 12:08:58

According to my neighbour , Tiktok says its because after 2 years everyone who has had the vaccine will die!!!

(and whoever gets their medical info on TIKTOK needs their head looking at!)

SAD!!!

Baggs Sat 10-Jul-21 12:11:07

I dare say, but it’s probably a good idea to read the article before you dismiss it out of hand. The author is a lecture and director of the transnational biomedical research Masters program at the University of Cambridge so he might know a thing or two that we don’t.

Baggs Sat 10-Jul-21 12:12:20

Transnational Biomedical Research Masters

Dictating did without the capital letters

Galaxy Sat 10-Jul-21 12:20:40

I did read the article. I am talking in general about the narrative about the young that has been throughout the pandemic, and about the concept of protecting everybody as stated in the OP and what that actually means. There is something about the idea of vaccinating people in order to protect others that makes me uneasy, I think that particularly applies to children but I can also see why the young might not rush to that either.