Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

19 July briefing

(23 Posts)
Daisymae Mon 19-Jul-21 18:32:21

Did you watch? It seemed unbelievable. More infections, hospitalisation and death - that's for sure. In this atmosphere restrictions have been lifted. So on your own head be it was message I took from that.

Deedaa Mon 19-Jul-21 18:39:18

How many times did he parrot "If not now when?" ? Was anyone else annoyed by his insistence on referring to Professor Van Tam as JVT instead of using his title? I realise he is probably seething with jealousy of a man who has gained qualifications that a second rate Old Etonian can only dream of but the fake chumminess doesn't impress the rest of us.

If vaccine passports are going to be required in night clubs in September why are they not necessary now?

ElderlyPerson Mon 19-Jul-21 18:42:08

It concerns me the way that future deaths are talked about.

That is about people who all are alive at present, and some of those people may indeed have been watching.

Violettham Mon 19-Jul-21 18:48:11

Me too Elderly Person Ithink it very callous and uncaring.

maddyone Mon 19-Jul-21 19:08:09

I watched the briefing. I’m interested to hear what others think about it.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 19-Jul-21 19:22:48

I too watched the briefing, very informative, very measured responses.

I am not sure how the younger generation will respond to having to prove their vaccination status to access clubs and/or other music venues, seems to be vaccine blackmail .

MayBee70 Mon 19-Jul-21 19:28:09

I really hoped that JVT was going to come down heavy on what Johnson was saying but he disappointed me. I do think we are being desensitised in some way regarding deaths. As if it’s great that not as many people are dying now than there used to be. They’re still people that shouldn’t be dead. Unless they happen to be 96 and would have died soon anyway like my friend. And very little mention of long covid. And, as ever, no come back questions allowed from the journalists. To be fair I think JVT has long been referred to as JVT. I only know that because I was furious the first time Johnson called him that.

MayBee70 Mon 19-Jul-21 19:30:57

I think the young will be quite happy to show vaccine status if it becomes mandatory in places like Ibiza so why not here? If Johnson keeps telling them he’s taking away their rights they’ll start to feel aggrieved. Even while he’s happily taken away their rights to other things.

MerylStreep Mon 19-Jul-21 19:46:11

I took from the briefing that he was saying i told you a while back that this was going to happen on the 19th. A lot of people think that I’m going to change my mind about that, but I’m not
Obviously it went on a bit longer than that and the language was a bit more flowery but that’s what it came down to.
Brilliant move to get the younger generation onboard with the vaccine. No jab, no clubbing.

ElderlyPerson Mon 19-Jul-21 19:58:05

It is available on YouTube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3eqI-p6wZA

No picture until just after 7 minutes 10 seconds in, and no talking until after 7 minutes 20 seconds in.

Gwyneth Mon 19-Jul-21 19:59:56

If people want to go to night clubs they will get vaccinated. Although I will continue to be cautious I can just imagine the reaction of some people and the press in particular if the government had delayed further in reopening everything. But it’s a gamble and I just hope hospitals are not overwhelmed.

moggie57 Mon 19-Jul-21 20:02:49

it was said that the track and trace was hacked . there is not 50.000 cases in a day .. they tryng to cause a panic ....please no more stocked up loo rolls.

MawBe Mon 19-Jul-21 20:49:02

moggie57

it was said that the track and trace was hacked . there is not 50.000 cases in a day .. they tryng to cause a panic ....please no more stocked up loo rolls.

Not far off 50,000 cases
This was yesterday and numbers can typically be lower over the weekend.

MaizieD Mon 19-Jul-21 21:02:43

Brilliant move to get the younger generation onboard with the vaccine. No jab, no clubbing.

This is making no sense whatsoever. Nightclubs opened at midnight last night. End of September is what, 10 weeks away? So 10 weeks of completely uncontrolled passing of covid around among the youngsters and their families?

Then a requirement for being fully vaccinated? What is the point? I think Johnson has gone completely bonkers.

Or may be someone can make this make sense for me; because I certainly can't.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 19-Jul-21 21:13:25

I also couldn’t understand why night clubs are now open but no proof of vaccine is required until September. My younger son had his second jab today (moderna, which has left him with a fever) and he will certainly be on the dance floor in two weeks time. JVT has always been referred to as JVT. Otherwise it’s all a bit of a mouthful. I think BJ is getting more and more difficult to listen to with his mumbling and bumbling. Did anyone notice that Beth Rigby wasn’t there today? Apparently she called BJ out for lying the other day. A few more journalists need to do that. Anyway. This meant that not a single woman was asking questions. Not good.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 19-Jul-21 21:25:29

I feel as free on freedom day as I felt sovereign at the time of Brexit.

Johnson is undoubtedly breaking the law, but nothing will be done.

Travelling today, I have been heartened to see everyone wearing a mask, including all the hotel staff and guests, all customers at the service station etc.
Talking to a taxi driver who said that everyone he speaks to is appalled at how Johnson behaved over the weekend and how abysmal the decisions are over freedom day. Everyone is expecting to go into lockdown again.

ayse Mon 19-Jul-21 21:26:49

Surely if younger folk can go clubbing now with no vaccine in a totally uncontrolled manner by September they will have had Covid and we should have herd immunity. It’s just nonsense or moral blackmail!

I thought the whole point of opening up now was to get this rise in cases over with before the flu season.

I reckon he’s testing the water to see what the response is.

I’m far more concerned about the problems caused by Long Covid, especially for younger people. None of this makes any sense at all. IMO mask wearing should have remained in place at least for the time being. Most of the people in town today were still wearing masks so the public generally seem more sensible than our crazy government.

ElderlyPerson Mon 19-Jul-21 21:59:20

news.sky.com/story/covid-19-vallance-corrects-mistake-to-say-60-of-people-being-admitted-to-hospital-with-coronavirus-are-unvaccinated-12359317

Teacheranne Mon 19-Jul-21 22:16:27

MaizieD

^Brilliant move to get the younger generation onboard with the vaccine. No jab, no clubbing.^

This is making no sense whatsoever. Nightclubs opened at midnight last night. End of September is what, 10 weeks away? So 10 weeks of completely uncontrolled passing of covid around among the youngsters and their families?

Then a requirement for being fully vaccinated? What is the point? I think Johnson has gone completely bonkers.

Or may be someone can make this make sense for me; because I certainly can't.

I think it was to wait until all over 18s have had the chance to have two vaccinations. It would be unfair to insist on them as entry to clubs before the programme has had time to do everyone. After all, this youngest age group have been at the end of a long queue to be vaccinated.

Kali2 Mon 19-Jul-21 22:17:34

VT's silly expressions are getting a bit much now- ridiculous. The pants of it! What?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 19-Jul-21 22:19:30

I see Cummings is at it again. Arrows galore being aimed at johnson.

The drip, drip is undoubtedly harming Johnson.

FarNorth Mon 19-Jul-21 23:01:22

Wow - what a brilliant look it was to have the Freedom briefing led by a Prime Minister who has to isolate. confused

MayBee70 Tue 20-Jul-21 13:47:55

And Patrick Vallance had to point out later that he should have said 40% and not 60%.