Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Infection rates down!

(147 Posts)
Daisymae Mon 26-Jul-21 11:14:22

The rates are down for 5 days in a row. I wonder if we can allow ourselves a little optimism, especially for those who are ECV?

Maxxx17 Tue 17-Aug-21 19:39:36

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TealTafreshi Fri 13-Aug-21 09:19:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Alegrias1 Sun 01-Aug-21 12:48:02

AZ knew that they wouldn't make a profit from the vaccine so I'd be surprised if the lack of sales in the US and Europe are what's making them consider selling the vaccine business - if indeed they are considering that. Actually the more they sell the worse it could be financially, because the zero-profit Covid vaccine would bring down the financial success of their business as a whole.

The disillusionment has set in in the EU, I think, reading the article, not at AZ. Basically I'm agreeing with kissngate, I think.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Aug-21 12:26:17

Oh yes I know that! But that wasn’t in my post as I understood that.

kissngate Sun 01-Aug-21 12:22:16

No not at all but the media give the impression the vaccine hasnt been a success because the company hasnt made a profit instead of comparing the price AZ/Ox charges for the vaccine - v- other pharmaceuticals.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Aug-21 12:00:59

kissngate

Whitewavemark2

In the Observer this morning, page 53, there is an article about AZ.

The EU will not be ordering any more AZ vaccine, and USA regulation has been put off because of the datasets required by the US regulator.

Apparently disillusionment has set in and AZ are considering all options including the sale of the business.

AZ provided the vaccine not for profit during the pandemic whereas Pfizer only developed a vaccine for profit. AZ /Oxford policy ensures third world countries can get access to a vaccine while others are unaffordable. AZ has many other drugs in distribution or development they do not need the vaccine to generate profit. Wouldn't believe everything you read in the paper.

Are you saying that the vaccine is not being considered for sale? I’m not quite sure what you are saying?

kissngate Sun 01-Aug-21 11:55:27

Whitewavemark2

The EU will not be ordering any more AZ vaccine, and USA regulation has been put off because of the datasets required by the US regulator.

Apparently disillusionment has set in and AZ are considering all options including the sale of the business.

AZ provided the vaccine not for profit during the pandemic whereas Pfizer only developed a vaccine for profit. AZ /Oxford policy ensures third world countries can get access to a vaccine while others are unaffordable. AZ has many other drugs in distribution or development they do not need the vaccine to generate profit. Wouldn't believe everything you read in the paper.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Aug-21 11:33:55

I can’t understand it. If it is to do with profit etc. What a world we live in.

We know the cost of everything but the value of nothing

maddyone Sun 01-Aug-21 11:31:57

How very sad. A life saving vaccine that has been rubbished for whatever reasons other countries believe to be justified. And I saw a report earlier this week that has found AZ no more likely to cause blood clots than the Pfizer vaccine. Personally I think it’s more to do with AZ being sold at cost than any other reason.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Aug-21 11:01:03

maddyone Sun 01-Aug-21 10:52:59

Thanks for that information Alegrias. Those numbers are definitely showing huge improvement over the early part of this year. I think it’s partly because those hospitalised are younger and recover more quickly. I also read somewhere that hospitalised patients are requiring less intense treatment that patients did previously.

Alegrias1 Sun 01-Aug-21 10:11:39

Not really abut infection rates but I saw this today and thought GNers would be interested.

TL;DR. 50% of people admitted to hospital now get discharged within 5 days. In March patients discharged within 10 days never fell below 60%

twitter.com/cfinnecy/status/1421406905470263297

maddyone Sat 31-Jul-21 23:41:10

My area has varied all the way through this pandemic. At times really quite high numbers, at other times extremely low numbers. This week the numbers are 261 cases per 100,000 people. This is lower than previously. It has fallen by 169 cases from the previous week. I look at the BBC Covid in my area to see what’s happening. The numbers always follow the national pattern, rising along with the rest of the country, and falling along with the rest of the country.

I’m not surprised numbers are very high in Brighton, the demographic there is young and most cases are in the young. Also many hen and stag nights take place in Brighton because of the lively pub and club scene there. As more young people get vaccinated and the vaccinations have time to take effect, this should fall.

Callistemon Sat 31-Jul-21 22:11:21

It may be because we are on the borders, people travel for work and school and rates are high across the border in England.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Jul-21 20:33:57

Weird isn’t it?

Callistemon Sat 31-Jul-21 20:32:39

Rural, no beach, no football club, restrictions still in place.

Callistemon Sat 31-Jul-21 20:31:25

Our area has gone up from <4 cases to nearly 700.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Jul-21 20:28:40

That’s what I’m hoping will happen here. I guess that Brighton is such a young city with parties, clubs, beach music etc. Lots of social gathering indoors particularly

Alegrias1 Sat 31-Jul-21 20:25:56

I don't want to tempt fate WWM2 but its much better than it was a few weeks ago. Hospital numbers down by about 20% in the last 2 weeks. ?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Jul-21 20:12:53

Alegrias1

Whitewavemark2

OK clever clogs. God you can be bloody irritating! And I don’t mean that nastily. ?

Explain what is happening in my area. Brighton.

May 2021 the figures were just above zero. Now week on week they rise to an estimate of just over 4300 last week having risen by 770.

I know. Its an affliction wink

And fair enough, numbers in Brighton are rising sad

?

Scotland is looking better though. And just looking at Zoe map, it is definitely improving in various areas.

MayBee70 Sat 31-Jul-21 17:21:40

ICU at my DIL’s hospital is full.

Alegrias1 Sat 31-Jul-21 17:17:24

Whitewavemark2

OK clever clogs. God you can be bloody irritating! And I don’t mean that nastily. ?

May 2021 the figures were just above zero. Now week on week they rise to an estimate of just over 4300 last week having risen by 770.

I know. Its an affliction wink

And fair enough, numbers in Brighton are rising sad

MayBee70 Sat 31-Jul-21 16:44:50

Well covid is ripping through my daughters village still. I was going to meet her in the garden and see the boys and my grand dog but I’m not doing that now. Something doesn’t add up.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Jul-21 16:08:48

Mind you the map is looking more optimistic than it was a day or two ago, so that is good.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Jul-21 16:03:04