Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Double Jabber tested positive

(106 Posts)
netflixfan Sun 01-Aug-21 20:39:30

I go to a weekly art class, and the teacher has just emailed all his students to say that one student tested positive last week. She is a double jabber. She is not ill at present. It has made me jittery about continuing to attend! By the way, Ive also had both jabs, ages ago. Any views please ? Thanks all

hilz Fri 06-Aug-21 16:55:36

Being double jabbed reassures me that my risk of severe illness may be reduced but I dont feel that it excludes me from continuing to be responsible for my own safety. I will still prefer to be outside if i see people for a long time. I will continue mask wearing in shops and keep my distance as best I can. I will do regular tests.I accept that contact with other households in confined unventilated spaces poses a big risk and if i know I have been near anyone who later tests positive I will isolate myself until I know I have no symptoms. Seems to me to be sensible actions and respectful to others.

Misha14 Fri 06-Aug-21 07:44:24

LoveOc Excess deaths and hospitals stretched almost to beyond coping. I'm interested to know why you think covid has been "hyped". I lost my mum, a friend lost her husband, many people I know have been ill. Millions have died, who would not have. The WHO tells us we have a pandemic. It seems to me that we do have something to worry about.

Nezumi65 Thu 05-Aug-21 22:10:45

Windows are usually open - actually one always is as it doesn’t shut confused (he’s broken it).

I think they are doing everything they can. But if Johnson is relying on vaccines it’s not going to work.

JaneJudge Thu 05-Aug-21 22:08:32

My son came home from uni with it and we live in quite a small house per person compared to some people and I honestly think keeping the windows open helped. I think at my daughters house, they have windows open, they clean surfaces 3 times a day and after use and they wear masks. If anyone on team is dx positive they go back to wearing aprons and gloves
but it's a nightmare isn't it? xxx

Nezumi65 Thu 05-Aug-21 22:06:09

Yes they wear masks a lot, but are with him 24 hours (sometimes literally if they are sleeping there). They always wear masks in the car, but less so in his house & obviously not when asleep etc.

It just feels inevitable - there is so much around & even if people are careful they are still picking it up.

MayBee70 Thu 05-Aug-21 22:03:17

You must be so worried. Are his careers still wearing masks? That will protect him up to a point. I don’t understand why everything is almost as if the pandemic is over but I know so many people that have caught it recently. Just imagine if many people hadn’t had the sense to carry on with hands face space.

Nezumi65 Thu 05-Aug-21 21:51:03

I can’t really see how he will avoid it over the next few months. The jabs just aren’t holding up. confused

Nezumi65 Thu 05-Aug-21 21:40:32

Another of my son’s care team has tested positive after two jabs.

That’s two in under two weeks (not caught from each other).

My son is severely disabled & we haven’t been able to vaccinate him. It’s a bit of a concern tbh.

rosie1959 Thu 05-Aug-21 20:50:23

Don't use buses apart from holidays where I have the driver is behind a protective screen thus not needing a mask

MayBee70 Thu 05-Aug-21 20:44:29

I still think we should wear masks in shops and on buses to protect the people who work in them. What I haven’t understood for a long time is that the bus drivers that go through the village on a regular basis do not wear masks themselves and this has been happening for many months now.

maddyone Thu 05-Aug-21 20:01:09

I agree Maybee, those of us who were able to stay at home during the worst of the pandemic, and especially when we didn’t know at first how it was spread, I agree that we were doing the best we could for others who kept all our services going during that time by staying at home. But we should never say Covid was avoidable because for a great many people, it wasn’t.

MayBee70 Thu 05-Aug-21 19:56:50

Well, it sounded like boasting to me….l

rosie1959 Thu 05-Aug-21 19:49:18

I wouldn't say these people whoever they are boasted but just told how it was for them
We are not all the same I suppose they could post what others may want to hear with actions that met their approval but that would not be real

MayBee70 Thu 05-Aug-21 19:43:44

But those of us that did everything possible to not catch it were also doing everything possible to make it safer for those that had to carry on working. Unlike some people on this forum that have been quick to dispense with mask wearing and others that have boasted about the fact that they still continued to meet up with people/hug people etc.

maddyone Thu 05-Aug-21 19:38:00

Covid is not avoidable. The only way it is avoidable is if you never go out of your front door. Since the vast majority people can’t live like that, catching Covid is not avoidable. What does it say about all those marvellous key workers who kept us supplied with food, essentials, gas and electricity, medical care, and removed our rubbish and delivered our parcels, if they sadly contracted Covid through their work, and we tell them it was avoidable!

rosie1959 Thu 05-Aug-21 19:06:35

growstuff

Yes, rosie1959, we only have one shot at life and there are many unknowns about which we can do little. However, Covid isn't one of those unknowns. It is avoidable and many people are keen to hang on to the one life they have.

Yes I suppose it’s avoidable if you never go out of your house ever
That does make it sound that the people who have contracted it are reckless as it’s avoidable

growstuff Thu 05-Aug-21 18:55:21

Yes, rosie1959, we only have one shot at life and there are many unknowns about which we can do little. However, Covid isn't one of those unknowns. It is avoidable and many people are keen to hang on to the one life they have.

rosie1959 Thu 05-Aug-21 12:41:50

Covid has been a horrendous illness MayBee shortening to life of so many affected but this is now turning around yes there will still be deaths but not in the scale we have witnessed.
Yes it will end the life of some but so do many other conditions dementia for one
We have to move forward what other choice is there. We only have one shot at life so best to get on and enjoy what we can
Double vaccinated so in theory Covid could still get me but then again so could many other illnesses

MayBee70 Thu 05-Aug-21 12:01:27

I think that, once someone you know and care about dies from covid the daily death statistic suddenly becomes something much more personal and if it’s one or 101 each one of those deaths becomes someone who is leaving people who loved them. I’m worried that we are being desensitised to deaths from covid.

M0nica Thu 05-Aug-21 08:00:41

Marconi your experience, like mine of knowing no one with COVID jabbed or not, just goes to show how essential it is to only look at data from large samples because anecdotal evidence is s misleading.

Casdon Wed 04-Aug-21 22:15:48

It’s not true that all the booster vaccinations will be Pfizer, I think people are confusing the 60m extra Pfizer doses ordered with the booster vaccine, when in fact some of them are for 16-17 year olds and late vaccines of younger age groups (and maybe 12-15s?).
There are trials happening now of 7 different vaccines which may be used for boosters, including the latest AZ version.

Joesoap Wed 04-Aug-21 20:41:53

Double jabbed yes you can still get Covid but a milder illness, everyone should be vaccinated and get a booster dose when it arrives like the annual flu it will be like this for the foreseeable future so ladies keep getting jabbed! I have been “ jabbing” people for the past few months.

Markoni40 Wed 04-Aug-21 18:51:04

Interestingly, all people I know that got Covid were double vaccinated, some of them hospitalized. I know a lot of people who were not vaccinated at all but no cases among them...

maddyone Wed 04-Aug-21 18:27:07

I either saw or heard that the booster vaccinations would be Pfizer, and the reason given is because the Pfizer (or possibly Moderna) is more effective against the Delta variant. I can’t remember where I heard/saw this so I can’t give a reference, and I have no idea if it’s correct or mere speculation.

Peasblossom Wed 04-Aug-21 17:30:53

I’m wondering that. Where did you get that info, FL?

I’m part of the booster trial and as far as I know, evaluation is still ongoing of a range of scenarios.