Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Has 'Good morning' acquired a new meaning in these pandemic times?

(174 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Wed 11-Aug-21 12:42:34

Yesterday morning I went out onto the public pavement and was having a look at my hedge - I am arranging for someone to come and cut it back - there was nobody about because I looked first. After a while I heard 'Good morning' and a young man was stood on the pavement about five metres away. I did not know him.

'Ah, good morning', I exclaimed as I quickly rushed onto my garden path and headed for the front door.

Some time ago, I was in the front garden, on the path, well away from the public pavement, when I heard 'Good morning' and the postlady was stood stationary looking at me, having just entered the garden. I noticed the mask below her head, clearly ready to be used when necessary.

Now pre-pandemic in that situation the postlady would not have stopped, I would have walked towards her, said 'Good morning', she would hand me the mail, I would say 'Thank you', she would say 'Thank you' and then continue on her round.

On that occasion I sort of went 'Oh, good morning' and rushed into the house, shut the door and went through to the kitchen. I heard the mail drop through the letterbox.

I saw her later, from a distance, and waved and did a 'thumbs up' as a sort of 'Thank you for your consideration over social distancing' coupled with 'I am feeling a bit sheepish and silly for rushing off like that but this COVID-19 stuff has got me jumpy'.

The postlady has been very helpful over it all, a recorded delivery package was pre-pandemic go to the door and sign for it. When one arrived after lockdown, I opened an upstairs window, and the postlady proactively asked 'Shall I leave it on your doorstep and sign it for you?'. I replied 'Yes please, that is kind of you, thank you' and thus it has continued. No mention of pandemic or lockdown, just that we each knew why the system was changing.

So, after what happened yesterday, I am wondering if 'Good morning' has now acquired the additional meaning of 'I am politely drawing my presence here to your attention and politely stationary so that we may have mutual social distancing in these pandemic times'.

JenniferEccles Wed 11-Aug-21 13:09:19

It all sounds completely over the top to me.

I had hoped we had moved on from people shrinking away into the bushes when others approach.

You were outside for goodness sake.
Are we getting to the situation whereby some people will remain forever scared of coming within one hundred yards of another human?
Ninety percent of the population has had at least one jab, and I believe around seventy five percent have had both.

MawBe Wed 11-Aug-21 13:09:22

I think you are right and that it also perhaps reflects our increased appreciation of people’s consideration and politeness. So “Good Morning” also encompasses “thank you”Here in our village, people are very friendly and we greet each other whether we know each other or not, eg on dog walks. I have noticed that people also are prepared to step to one side when passing on a pavement, even stepping out into the road. Most people say thank you too.
I have got so used to greeting (often total) strangers that I forget and do it when I have been with my grandchildren in the city, often getting a bit of a funny look but also sometimes a smile and a reply.
If the pandemic has revived good manners that would indeed be a bit of a silver lining wouldn’t it?

Esspee Wed 11-Aug-21 13:19:43

I am concerned EP that your life has been turned upside down by the pandemic and that you are finding it difficult to get back to normalcy.
Good morning means good morning. It is a greeting, pure and simple.

Redhead56 Wed 11-Aug-21 13:31:52

Where we live people are polite even those I don’t know still say hello. Our bin men post and delivery drivers are always nice and polite even though they are busy. I rewarded them all with treats when lockdown eased.

ElderlyPerson Wed 11-Aug-21 13:39:14

Esspee

I am concerned EP that your life has been turned upside down by the pandemic and that you are finding it difficult to get back to normalcy.
Good morning means good morning. It is a greeting, pure and simple.

Thank you for your concern.

Well, in my seventies, given up driving, unable to use public transport, not going out much before the pandemic anyway, the changes are relatively small.

My prescriptions have been being delivered for years. Instead of going to the door it is now left on the step, door knocked, I answer from an upstairs window, collect them after the delivery driver has gone.

Tesco has been delivering here for years. Prepandemic I went to the door, this morning I put two boxes on the doorstep. A large one for food and a small one for shower gel, labelled as such. The delivery is due in about 30 minutes to 90 minutes from now. Most delivery drivers telephone me, one just thumps the door before he goes.

Yes, I use gloves, quarantine everything for six days, change my clothes after getting in the grocery. I know, I know, but having started the routine in March 2020 and it has worked, on what basis would I stop doing all or even any of it?

Genuine question. Not just rhetorical.

The threat level is still at 3 I think and people are catching it every day.

Alegrias1 Wed 11-Aug-21 13:54:40

EP its not for me or anybody else to tell you how to live your life.

But I feel I have to say that your caution is really, really unhealthy and more likely to make you ill than keep you safe. To someone reading this from outside, it seems that you ran away from the post lady and hid in your house, closing the door in her face.

The reason to stop your gloves, quarantine, clothes change routine is that there is absolutely no need for it, in fact there never has been. Some people - only some - started doing it in March 2020 when we didn't know how the virus was passed on, but now we know. And it isn't from groceries, or mail, or any of those things. And its very, very rarely from outdoor interaction with people. The routine hasn't "worked", its a set of things you do that have made no difference at all.

If you wait until no-one is catching this virus, you will never stop what you are doing. Its your choice, of course, and I don't really know why I'm typing this, its for you to decide of course. But the constant level of caution and, to be blunt, fear, must be wearing you down. The rest of the world are learning how to lead more normal lives with COVID around and I hope you do too. You're only in your seventies. There's a lot of life left yet.

Rosie51 Wed 11-Aug-21 13:54:58

ElderlyPerson I don't want to sound rude or dismissive but much of what you're doing sounds like it's become an obsession. I really don't believe that level of caution, the changing of clothes after getting in the groceries for example, is necessary, but if it brings you peace then you're not harming anyone else. Science has moved on in its understanding of the virus and how it's transmitted, and the precautions you're taking would now be regarded as unnecessary, but you're free to continue them. Have you been vaccinated, I would hope that would give you some measure of reassurance? Best wishes to you.

Rosie51 Wed 11-Aug-21 13:57:15

cross posted with Alegrias1 who has presented it better than I did.

rosie1959 Wed 11-Aug-21 14:14:03

I also agree with Alegrais I very often have a quick chat with delivery drivers or the postman
Certainly don't quarantine anything we need it

ElderlyPerson Wed 11-Aug-21 14:27:22

> To someone reading this from outside, it seems that you ran away from the post lady and hid in your house, closing the door in her face.

Well, I did move quickly, I did close the door, but I doubt the door was closed close up in front of her face as I had a five metre start and she was waiting, so the postlady was probably about five metres or more from the door when I closed it. I was in the kitchen by the time the mail came through the letterbox. I am sure she understood that I was not being rude to her.

ElderlyPerson Wed 11-Aug-21 14:30:09

Rosie51

cross posted with Alegrias1 who has presented it better than I did.

Yes, you cross posted, but it was lovely of you and for me that you wrote "Best wishes to you."

SueDonim Wed 11-Aug-21 14:30:43

No, I don’t think a greeting means anything different now from pre-pandemic. Our postie does what he’s always done. Delivery drivers either bang on the door to let you know something is there or they take a photo of the item and send a message to you. One delivery driver did knock and wait until I answered the other day - I was quite annoyed that I had to get up and answer the door! grin

EP, you seem to have health anxiety, which is understandable and you are certainly not alone there, but it does seem to be leading you to take extreme measures. You have no proof that the things you do such as quarantining your shopping etc have worked to keep Covid away. That’s not cause and effect. I could equally say that my daughter has been working as a hospital medic since April 2020 and hasn’t caught Covid so that must mean young women working in hospitals are immune but in fact it’s sheer luck.

You are some 20 years younger than my mother and if she was living as you are, she’d think her life wasn’t worth living, it would just be an existence.

ElderlyPerson Wed 11-Aug-21 14:36:37

> One delivery driver did knock and wait until I answered the other day - I was quite annoyed that I had to get up and answer the door! grin

Was that a situation that if you did not open the door then a delivery would not be made?

Or could you have gone to an upstairs window?

Maybe make a paper aeroplane and write on it a note to leave the parcel on the doorstep, sign it and launch it out of the window? smile

MawBe Wed 11-Aug-21 14:37:54

I think this “Good morning” was a young man being considerate, who, seeing an elderly man and not wanting to alarm EP by suddenly coming up behind him, was flagging up his presence in a perfectly polite manner.
What seems to be causing concern, though is that after returning his greeting you rushed on to the path and made for your door. Why - did you genuinely fear you might have been at risk? You weren’t, you know.
So while you are perfectly entitled to behave as you please, I think the concerns being expressed are that you might continue living like this when the necessity no longer exists.
You say that with all the precautions you have taken since March 2020, your routine has worked and you have remained healthy.
I too am in my 70’s and while I have observed all the regulations and recommendations about social distancing and face coverings, I have not quarantined shopping, changed my clothes, disinfected anything (other than normal cleaning)
I have travelled by train on three separate occasions, driven on others, and led as normal a life as most people I know and I too have remained infection free and in good health.
So whose routine has worked? Who is to say or have we perhaps just been lucky?
My point is, of course you can do as you please, but perhaps don’t let it run your life or stop you doing the things which bring you pleasure.

muse Wed 11-Aug-21 14:41:14

EP The young man you didn't know may perhaps always have a friendly outgoing nature.

I live in a very rural area and virtually all that deliver people, and we have a lot, are mainly happy to chat. Nothing has changed due to the pandemic. Well, perhaps they do chat for a little longer now, which I welcome.

Regarding your recorded delivery to be signed for. As far as I am aware we are not supposed to be signing for anything. Nearly 75% of our deliveries used to have to have a signature but not now. Some of those are Royal Mail.

We too have a weekly delivery. They offer to bring it round to the door but I load it up from the steps of the van whilst the driver (wearing his mask) usually makes a fuss of our dog. Now I have had both vaccinations, catching covid does not worry me as much. I regard the vaccination like the flu one. I have that, and could still get flu but not as severe. Alegrais1 posts explains the contamination aspect well and I agree that your concern could be causing your prolonged anxiety.

Perhaps you have medical issues that worry you EP, I do not know.

ElderlyPerson Wed 11-Aug-21 14:43:50

> EP, you seem to have health anxiety, which is understandable and you are certainly not alone there, but it does seem to be leading you to take extreme measures.

Well, maybe I do, maybe I do have one.

But some people are catching it, some people are being hospitalised because of it, some people are dying from it.

In March 2020 I lay on my bed and tried to calmly work out how to give myself the best chance of surviving. At the time, survival to July 2020 seemed unlikely. It is now August 2021.

I feel that I am in a secure castle, not in a prison.

varian Wed 11-Aug-21 14:44:50

About 90% of the adult population (47m) have had at least one jab. However very few children have been jabbed. About 20 million people in the UK have not even have had one jab.

Vaccinated people are less likely to catch covid, and if they do, are unlikely to be extremely ill but can still pass it on. Surely it is good to avoid that as much as possible by respecting other people's space.

Alegrias1 Wed 11-Aug-21 14:46:09

This pandemic will have long lasting impacts on people that we can only just guess at. sad

MrsEggy Wed 11-Aug-21 14:46:42

From an even more elderly person - I am 83 and DH 85. Yesterday we went by taxi (no masks) to Railway Station, on the train (not too busy) into Birmingham, coffee, on bus to historic house and garden, met Gdaughter, where we had lunch and walk round gardens, then hugs and journey, bus, train, bus home. All happy, and I think, safe. We've both had 2 jabs and it was lovely to be out and about again. Are we being foolhardy? Or making the most of the maybe limited time we have left to enjoy life

Esspee Wed 11-Aug-21 14:47:47

As an explanation you tell us you are in your seventies EP. That is not elderly in my book. It may have been in my grandmother’s day but not now.
My OH is 75. Yesterday we went sailing, this is very active, needing excellent balance and fitness. A couple of weeks ago he took me skinny dipping in a Scottish river, we go out to dinner, meet up with friends, chat with neighbours, go grocery shopping, out for walks and drives. At all times we are careful preferring to meet people out of doors because we are in out seventies. This is normal behaviour.
Please consider discussing you excessive fear with your GP. There are excellent medications which could give you back some joy in your life.

MawBe Wed 11-Aug-21 14:53:31

Esspee
A couple of weeks ago he took me skinny dipping in a Scottish river
Brrrrr! grin
Born and brought up in Scotland, nevertheless skinny dipping in any Scottish river sounds only slightly better than off the sands at St Andrews where DH and I were students (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)
You hardy souls!

Shelflife Wed 11-Aug-21 14:57:26

Elderly person , I can 'see' how worried you are. I do sympathize with your caution but please do try not to be so anxious. I too am in my 70s and have become accustomed to deliveries being left on my door step. However , I do not feel it necessary change my clothes after getting in the groceries! I am back in my aqua class and have used public transport. Getting out and about again , meeting friends for coffee is so important . It is hard after taking care for so long to give up some of our precautionary habits - but I have done my best to try and relax . You are correct of course, Covid is still here and probably always will be . It is important to take care but also important to regain some quality of life. For me it is a mask inside shops etc, hand sanitizing frequently, hands away from my face, just sensible care . Like most people I have been vaccinated , I now want to enjoy my life and be with friends. I hope you want that too and begin to get out and about a little more. I wish you well and peace of mind.

Alegrias1 Wed 11-Aug-21 14:57:27

Those who have seen me post will know I like a good maths exercise. smile

Yesterday 23,500 people were reported positive in the UK. At the peak, the average was about 61,000 a day. At a rate of 61,000 a day it will take over 1,000 years before we have all had it.

Perspective.

ElderlyPerson Wed 11-Aug-21 15:01:53

Alegrias1

Those who have seen me post will know I like a good maths exercise. smile

Yesterday 23,500 people were reported positive in the UK. At the peak, the average was about 61,000 a day. At a rate of 61,000 a day it will take over 1,000 years before we have all had it.

Perspective.

Can you explain your calculation method please to get a result of over 1000 years?