Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The whole of New South Wales is now in lockdown

(125 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 14-Aug-21 13:56:06

The lockdown is for at least a week .That is over 8 million people and with Melbourne also in lockdown that is a total of nearly 14 million people. By lockdown I mean no travelling more than 5km from home - about 3 miles, schools shut, shops etc all shut except for food and chemists. No visitors etc. Arrrgh.How depressing this country is becoming.

Allsorts Sat 14-Aug-21 13:58:54

Well we’ve done it as a country and Melbourne will, this Virus will subside and these steps have to be taken, all will be well eventually, you have to look to the future and be positive.

Lincslass Sat 14-Aug-21 14:07:20

One week. Try it for 12. Sure it’ll be all okay, best to try and contain it now then let it run rife as it did in the UK.

nanna8 Sat 14-Aug-21 14:15:18

It is our 6 th lockdown here in Melbourne. We have had almost a year of it,on and off. Worst in the world we are told. We are over it, it is not a new thing just a ongoing horror. It is new for NSW, though.

MayBee70 Sat 14-Aug-21 15:24:49

Surely a lot of the problem has been vaccine hesitancy?

Zoejory Sat 14-Aug-21 15:29:01

Australia had been doing very well and had been used as a shining beacon on how to deal with this virus.

Not sure but were they almost Covid free at one point? The problem is, this virus will work its way in somehow or other. It's not going anywhere. Better to work with it and adapt.

My friends in Melbourne have told me there hasn't been much vaccine urgency because they assumed they'd beaten it. This is just anecdotal and I'm sure other people had different views.

Good luck, nanna8

Hithere Sat 14-Aug-21 15:53:58

I hear you, OP

It is unfortunately needed to contain covid.

Read how Florida and the southern states in the US are doing - human beings are stupid

Calendargirl Sat 14-Aug-21 16:30:05

My DD in Canberra is in lockdown with 5 cases.

I pointed out to her yesterday we had 32,500 new cases and 100 deaths.

The vaccine programme there is poor though. Won’t give the AZ to Under 40’s, and can’t get enough Pfizer.

JenniferEccles Sat 14-Aug-21 17:10:32

I think the problem is that Australia is aiming for zero covid, which, given the low level of vaccination there seems like an impossible dream.
What will happen when the country is opened up to visitors from other countries?
Isn’t it inevitable that in particular the very transmissible Indian variant would be imported?

Your hospitality industry must be on its knees.

I also wonder what good a one week lockdown will do.

maddyone Sat 14-Aug-21 17:15:14

The population need to get themselves vaccinated. They’ve elongated this issue by vaccine hesitancy.

Calendargirl Sat 14-Aug-21 18:26:01

maddyone

The population need to get themselves vaccinated. They’ve elongated this issue by vaccine hesitancy.

They haven’t enough Pfizer, and have millions of unused AZ ones.

BlueBelle Sat 14-Aug-21 18:36:57

Well I ve had two AZ and still alive Aussieland

maddyone Sat 14-Aug-21 18:44:18

I know Calendargirl, so that fact needs to tell the population to take the AZ vaccine, which is perfectly safe, and a recent study has shown there are no more blood clots with AZ than with Pfizer.

maddyone Sat 14-Aug-21 18:45:32

And they obstinately decide against the AZ vaccine then they should donate the unused vaccines to third world countries.

maddyone Sat 14-Aug-21 18:45:50

And if they……

nanna8 Sun 15-Aug-21 00:38:32

I think we have sent some az to Fiji before we even started with it. My age group can only get az and everyone I know has had it but the younger ones are not so keen. There is a problem with the Aborigines who have a very low rate of vaccination and are very vulnerable. Understandably they are suspicious of anything the government says. There is still a great deal of suspicion of az with people thinking it doesn’t work against the delta variants and that it causes blood clots, mainly caused by media reports who really latch on to deaths from clotting.

Elspeth45 Sun 15-Aug-21 04:05:02

We in Sydney are into our 7th or 8th week now, cant remember how many! Due to come out of it last day of August. The whole of the State in lockdown for one week. My area has had no cases but I doubt lockdown will end soon. Vaccination numbers are great, lack of product was reason for slow takeup.

Calendargirl Sun 15-Aug-21 06:38:24

maddyone

I know Calendargirl, so that fact needs to tell the population to take the AZ vaccine, which is perfectly safe, and a recent study has shown there are no more blood clots with AZ than with Pfizer.

DD, who works in the care industry,(in Australia) has had both jabs, the AZ one. Before giving her it, the nurse said “You can die from this”, meaning the AZ vaccine.

DD said she wasn’t bothered, just do it!

If that’s the sort of message being given out….

Juliet27 Sun 15-Aug-21 06:51:20

My DS and DIL, both under 40 and in Sydney decided to have AZ rather than wait until Pf available to them. My DD and SIL are also in Sydney area and as he has a blood clotting condition they have Pf booked for next month.

Lincslass Sun 15-Aug-21 07:29:37

Calendargirl

maddyone

They haven’t enough Pfizer, and have millions of unused AZ ones.

Unused AZ is criminal, when poorer countries need these vaccines desperately.

Calendargirl Sun 15-Aug-21 07:40:02

Unused AZ is criminal, when poorer countries need these vaccines desperately

Tell that to Scott Morrison, not sure what NZ’s stance is on the AZ vaccine.

Both countries vaccine uptake is low, I believe.

ayse Sun 15-Aug-21 09:06:01

As for NZ.

Talking to DD yesterday. They are vaccinating those most vulnerable with Pfizer and DD has had her two jabs. They have a problem getting enough of this vaccine.

The other more important reason for their closed borders is they have very few ICU beds so could not manage if there was a large outbreak. They have a very efficient Track and Trace system. The have to sign in anywhere they go or use an app. No signing in, no entry. They have mini lockdowns if new cases are found (3 or 4 days) whilst contacts are traced. They also have hotel quarantine for all entries into the country (restricted to essential only).

For the future, possibly next year they may introduce vaccine passports and shorter quarantine for those with two doses. This may include quarantine at a place of residency but this is just a thought right now.

maddyone Sun 15-Aug-21 09:46:25

Calendargirl
A nurse giving out vaccines and telling people you can die from this is a disgrace to her profession. She shouldn’t be allowed to work at vaccinating people if that is her attitude.
Well done to your daughter for going ahead with her vaccine.

maddyone Sun 15-Aug-21 09:48:30

Unused AZ is criminal, when poorer countries need these vaccines desperately.

Spot on Lincslass.

Callistemon Sun 15-Aug-21 10:17:25

nanna8

The lockdown is for at least a week .That is over 8 million people and with Melbourne also in lockdown that is a total of nearly 14 million people. By lockdown I mean no travelling more than 5km from home - about 3 miles, schools shut, shops etc all shut except for food and chemists. No visitors etc. Arrrgh.How depressing this country is becoming.

It was Brisbane faffing around with 3 day lockdowns recently - people re-arranged their schedules, those in the hospitality industry postponed events and work, re-scheduled events for after the lockdowns only to find they were extended for another week.
Of course, as was pointed out to me, no government help is offered for such short lockdowns, so there is a reason for them as far as the government of Queensland is concerned; they don't have to pay out benefits. People are getting no income.

The Health Minister of Queensland has said:

"I don't want an 18-year-old in Queensland dying from a clotting illness who, if they got COVID, probably wouldn't die.

www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-30/qld-cho-rejects-morrisons-astrazeneca-comments-covid-vaccine/100256022