Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

New COVID variant - Mu

(39 Posts)
Newatthis Thu 02-Sep-21 17:16:00

Will it ever end? .....The World Health Organisation (WHO) is currently monitoring a new SARS-CoV-19 strain called 'Mu.' The new variant was first detected in Colombia in January of this year, but the strain has already migrated to other countries in South America and Europe. Now known as B.1.621, it has been classified as a "variant of interest" in a recent weekly WHO bulletin.

Callistemon Sat 04-Sep-21 15:17:52

Learning to live with it" should *not mean shrugging shoulders and accepting that a certain number will die or have serious long-term effects.

Unfortunately it might mean that, as with other diseases, a certain number may die from this new coronavirus and/or have long-term effects from it.
That doesn't mean shoulders are being shrugged, it means facing the reality of the disease unless a vaccine which is 100% proof against it is discovered.

Callistemon Sat 04-Sep-21 15:12:00

PS. If people aren't talking about shrugging their shoulders, maybe they'd care to articulate what they do mean because it seems to me that so long as they're OK, they don't care much about the bigger picture.

Perhaps it means investing more in research, in improving living conditions for those deprived sectors of society and doing something about ensuring that the inequality gaps don't become even bigger?.

We can't just hope that it will disappear as rapidly as it emerged and that there may not be another virus which appears with devastating consequences.

People in the UK died of cholera, typhoid and other diseases and still would do so if we hadn't done something, made necessary changes.

So yes, most believe we will have to learn to live with it but perhaps alter our ways and invest more money to alleviate the problems.
It requires research and the wherewithal to carry out changes which require the funds to do this.

It needs a government which isn't afraid to tackle the changes needed.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 04-Sep-21 15:02:35

I will try to explain what living with Covid means to me…

The U.K. nor the rest of the world will not reach zero Covid in the near future if ever.

People need to work, children need to be educated and yes we need a social life.

Vaccination has almost severed the link between cases/hospitalisation/mortality. Folks with underlying co-morbidities (including myself) along with the obese will have to continue to be more vigilant.

Alegrias1 Sat 04-Sep-21 14:45:29

Well not this poster, and haranguing people who use it will get us nowhere.

Maybe instead of complaints about the phrase we could hear what the alternative is? You know, like a proper conversation?

JaneJudge Sat 04-Sep-21 14:43:34

Don't we all have phrases that irritate us though?

For example, I hate people suggesting family carers 'should look after their own' without any depth of awareness about how that would look or acknowledgement of how hard it is and whether it is even appropriate and I feel like this as it directly affects me

I suppose this is the same thing. From most posters it is a throwaway comment with no acknowledgment of what will actually happen.

Alegrias1 Sat 04-Sep-21 14:40:43

I took great pains to try to express myself in a way that would lead to conversation, rather than polemic.

Clearly wasted my time.

PS, I've told you at least twice what I think living with it means. You ignore it. And you will continue to while ranting about how selfish we all are, I'm sure.

growstuff Sat 04-Sep-21 14:36:03

Since when you did you become GN moderator Alegrias?

FWIW you're like a stuck record too. I disagree with you and I shall continue to challenge meaningless and trite slogans.

PS. If people aren't talking about shrugging their shoulders, maybe they'd care to articulate what they do mean because it seems to me that so long as they're OK, they don't care much about the bigger picture.

Alegrias1 Sat 04-Sep-21 14:32:32

growstuff

I'd be interested in what a "so called scientist" is too!

This "so called scientist" would like to know as well. I think we're in for a long wait!

Alegrias1 Sat 04-Sep-21 14:30:44

I feel this is a very big deal for you growstuff, as its something that comes up a lot of different threads.

Nobody in their right minds is suggesting just giving up and rolling over to let the virus run rampant. Not now that we know something about it. The government are arguably not doing all that they can to mitigate it. You know far more about the schools situation than me and have very clear views about the vaccination of 12 - 15 year olds.

But jumping on every poster who uses the phrase "we have to live with it" is getting counter-productive. Unfortunately, living with it means that some of us will die or have long term effects. Just like we die of other things. We need to take responsible measures to make that number as small as possible, but it will never be zero, and we can't ignore the other damage done by imposing measures that some might describe as "mitigations", while others might say "restrictions."

growstuff Sat 04-Sep-21 14:03:14

Shropshirelass

I think this is how it is going to be for a long time now, maybe forever, we have to learn to live with it.

OK! So we "learn to live with it". It's known that Covid has affected some communities, mainly deprived ones and those with a high percentage of ethnic population, more severely. How about accepting that Covid will be around for a long time, but mitigating some of the effects? We know that the same communities which have been sickest have also suffered most financially, so how about doing something about ensuring that the inequality gaps don't become even bigger?

Learning to live with it" should *not mean shrugging shoulders and accepting that a certain number will die or have serious long-term effects.

Shropshirelass Sat 04-Sep-21 09:56:10

I think this is how it is going to be for a long time now, maybe forever, we have to learn to live with it.

growstuff Fri 03-Sep-21 18:26:53

sluttygran

Viruses mutate constantly, and it's true that they tend to become less aggressive, tho' often more contagious.
It's bad enough worrying about Covid, but I can't help noticing that every time a crisis appears which might reflect badly upon the government, there is always a sudden announcement that another 'variant of concern' has been identified.
Am I alone in thinking that our illustrious government are finding that the Coronavirus is providing them with an endless stream of convenient 'dead cats' to distract us from all the disasters they've caused?

No, it's definitely not true that they inevitably become less "aggressive".

Ideally, a mutation which causes fewer effects becomes more easily transmissible, but mutations are random. It's just as likely that an easily transmissible mutation causes more serious effects.

growstuff Fri 03-Sep-21 18:23:36

I'd be interested in what a "so called scientist" is too!

Casdon Fri 03-Sep-21 16:34:52

MaggsMcG what do you mean ‘so called scientists’? They are scientists, and without the work they have done so far a lot more of us would already be dead?

MaggsMcG Fri 03-Sep-21 16:30:54

Looks like we're all going to catch the virus in some form or another. All we can hope is that the existing vaccines still work at least to stop as all dying. Or that the so called scientists will come up with new booster vaccines to deal with all the variants.

Religious people may well think its a plague to punish us for various wrong doings we have been up to over the last few thousand years.

AGAA4 Fri 03-Sep-21 16:21:08

MawBe

Mu may well be a “variant of concern” but I shall be really worried when we get to Woof

Could then be followed by Baa

MawBe Fri 03-Sep-21 15:43:19

Mu may well be a “variant of concern” but I shall be really worried when we get to Woof

sluttygran Fri 03-Sep-21 15:26:21

Viruses mutate constantly, and it's true that they tend to become less aggressive, tho' often more contagious.
It's bad enough worrying about Covid, but I can't help noticing that every time a crisis appears which might reflect badly upon the government, there is always a sudden announcement that another 'variant of concern' has been identified.
Am I alone in thinking that our illustrious government are finding that the Coronavirus is providing them with an endless stream of convenient 'dead cats' to distract us from all the disasters they've caused?

basicallygrace12 Fri 03-Sep-21 14:00:15

apparently next they are using constellations

travelsafar Fri 03-Sep-21 13:43:18

Are any of the symptons different does anyone know???

JenniferEccles Fri 03-Sep-21 12:42:55

Very confusing when one scientist says one thing and another claims the opposite.

polnan Fri 03-Sep-21 12:33:34

Exactly jaylucy, not dissimilar to the flu virus, but then seems to be more deadly,diffucult,potent? whatever the word is.

virus` they do this...

Government needs to get jabs sorted and stop messing about!

jaylucy Fri 03-Sep-21 11:58:11

There will be variants, it's a virus that mutates and will continue to do so.
The same thing happens with flu every year
Anyone that thought that it was the Delta variant would be the final one , is sadly in for shock.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 03-Sep-21 11:53:17

Alternatively, when they get to omega, they could start afresh in the Hebrew alphabet!

Alef, bet, gimel, dalet, heh,, vav , zajin, chet, jod, caf, lamed, mem, nun, samex, ajin, pej. sadi, kuf, resh, shim, sim,tav

Paperbackwriter Fri 03-Sep-21 11:26:33

AGAA4

Not surprising really when we know that a virus will mutate. We may get to Omega and have to start again at A.

It'll be like car numberplates won't it? Alpha beta, then alpha delta etc.