Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Pfizer versus AZ Vaccine.

(119 Posts)
MayBee70 Wed 15-Sep-21 01:01:14

I’ve been pondering on this all night. Why is the Pfizer vaccine the one that is being widely used? It’s only a bit more effective that the AZ one and it is thought that the effectiveness of the AZ vaccine may actually improve over time. Both vaccines can have dangerous, albeit rare side effects, but it’s only the AZ one that gets lots of publicity. I thought that the whole point of the AZ vaccine being non profit making was so that the whole world could be vaccinated but that doesn’t seem to be happening. Is that why Sarah Gilbert is querying the fact that western countries are giving people booster jabs when so many people in poorer countries aren’t getting any. She’s probably thinking they might as well have made lots of money out of it which, knowing her, would have been put to good use. I just don’t understand what’s going on. Is there something I’m missing? Don’t get me wrong (and I’m being very two faced here) I’ll be first in the queue to get my booster when it’s offered as there’s no point me saying ‘give it someone the other side of the world’ as they wouldn’t be likely to get it anyway. I’m just a bit confused by it all.

Jaxjacky Wed 15-Sep-21 09:19:15

If you are concerned VioletSky discuss it with your doctor rather than taking anecdotal advice second hand.
I would image the AZ might be the one sent abroad because the refrigeration requirements are easier for countries to accommodate than Pfizer.

Alegrias1 Wed 15-Sep-21 09:20:26

After saying that you could not mix vaccines it now seems just what they intend to do.

Things move on.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57636356

When all the vaccines were new, there was no research on mixing vaccine doses so they said don't do it, because we don't have any research. Now they do.

JenniferEccles Wed 15-Sep-21 09:22:14

It is surprising, especially as the Pfizer one has storage problems as well as being much more expensive than the AZ one.

There was a study to attempt to establish whether a different booster to the original ones would give a better immune response, but then that wouldn’t explain this recent decision as a large number of people had the Pfizer one originally.

I was surprised that the decision wasn’t questioned or discussed on the tv news last night.

It will probably be covered in today’s newspapers though.

VioletSky Wed 15-Sep-21 09:24:07

I'd take whatever vaccine offerred anyway as getting covid would be worse, just had hoped it would be AZ

MayBee70 Wed 15-Sep-21 10:36:02

I’m just trying to get some understanding of the politics behind it all. I’d love to have a conversation with the people behind the AZ vaccine to see what they really think of the dominance of Pfizer.

BlueSky Wed 15-Sep-21 10:43:44

I guess I won’t need the booster having recently tested positive to Covid despite being double jabbed and careful. Trying to find an answer before being called. Perhaps it’ll need a certain time gap, wonder whether the GP would know? Wouldn’t want to be over jabbed, with the flu jab and pneumonia as well!

Blossoming Wed 15-Sep-21 10:47:10

Which country are you in Calendargirl? Do you know why they are dumping AZ?

I’ll take whatever is offered, I had AZ at the beginning of the year and was glad to get it.

AGAA4 Wed 15-Sep-21 11:45:11

I was grateful to get AZ and it seems immunity lasts longer than with Pfizer.

Ailidh Wed 15-Sep-21 12:03:17

I had Pfizer, one aged 65, one aged 66 (got my 2nd jab on my birthday!), because that was what the centre was giving on my appointment day.

Callistemon Wed 15-Sep-21 12:10:46

nanna8

I’m awaiting the comments eagerly. There is a feeling here that the az is lower quality. That is what we over 60 s were offered, no choice but it is hard to sort out facts from spin and I really don’t know.

I think the rumours in Australia and other countries about AZ have been terrible be blooming glad we ve got what we ve got and think of all the countries that haven’t had a look in yet
Bluebelle and nanna8
It wasn't just rumours or feelings - it was the Chief Medical Officer of Queensland who stated publicly that she was not at all happy with the AZ vaccine and therefore made a lot of people, especially younger people, very nervous.

Callistemon Wed 15-Sep-21 12:15:09

BlueSky

I guess I won’t need the booster having recently tested positive to Covid despite being double jabbed and careful. Trying to find an answer before being called. Perhaps it’ll need a certain time gap, wonder whether the GP would know? Wouldn’t want to be over jabbed, with the flu jab and pneumonia as well!

Interesting question, Bluesky

Should we have antibody tests if we think or know we have had Covid and been double vaccinated? Would we need a booster jab if our antibodies are high?

MayBee70 Wed 15-Sep-21 14:16:08

BlueSky

Can I ask which vaccine you had? You won’t be called up for your booster till 6 months after your last jab so hopefully you’ll be fully recovered by then. I’ve booked my flu jab for two weeks time. I had a pneumonia one last year so won’t need another although it was done privately and doesn’t cover me for as much as the NHS one does. Which was annoying as I thought it would be the same as the NHS one. I didn’t want to go to our surgery at the time and felt safer going to a small branch of Boots. I don’t fancy having a flu and covid jab at the same time.

BlueSky Wed 15-Sep-21 18:58:48

MayBe70 I had the AZ, second one end of May. Had Covid in August.

MayBee70 Wed 15-Sep-21 19:03:15

Thanks. That makes me wonder if people that are being infected are ones that had the AZ vaccine.

Alegrias1 Wed 15-Sep-21 19:07:47

MayBee70

Thanks. That makes me wonder if people that are being infected are ones that had the AZ vaccine.

Sorry, I just had to jump in here MayBee70.

Its just really not on to even speculate about this. All the vaccines we have are super-effective and I'm going off to find out some figures about it. It is not right to make anybody think that having the AZ vaccine means you are going to get infected and having any of the others doesn't.

Off to find the figures!

Alegrias1 Wed 15-Sep-21 19:31:16

Here we go.

Protection against infection with AZ is about 67% after four or five months. With Pfizer its about 74% after 6 months. This is from the Zoe study, reported by the BBC.

So a bit more likely to get infected if you got the AZ, but not enough to say it's the AZ-vaccinated people who are getting infected.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58322882

Casdon Wed 15-Sep-21 19:35:01

I looked for this info yesterday for myself, this is the one I found, from the ONS. In line with what you said Alegrias1*, and goes into some detail on mortality. I honestly think people are looking for a sinister reason for AZ not being used when there isn’t one, I don’t understand why.
www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/deathsinvolvingcovid19byvaccinationstatusengland/deathsoccurringbetween2januaryand2july2021

dragonfly46 Wed 15-Sep-21 19:38:30

I suspect AZ is being sent to third world countries because it is cheaper and more easily transported so it makes sense for our booster to be Pfizer.

MayBee70 Wed 15-Sep-21 20:03:12

Alegrias1

MayBee70

Sorry, I just had to jump in here MayBee70.

Its just really not on to even speculate about this. All the vaccines we have are super-effective and I'm going off to find out some figures about it. It is not right to make anybody think that having the AZ vaccine means you are going to get infected and having any of the others doesn't.

Off to find the figures!

I’m actually defending the AZ vaccine if you actually read what I’ve been saying from the start. I just wanted to understand why they were giving people the Pfizer vaccine and not the AZ one. It only occurred to me later that maybe people were getting infected after having the AZ vaccine. I’m not speculating but asking if anyone has any facts and figures that I haven’t seen.

theworriedwell Wed 15-Sep-21 20:07:22

Has anyone ever worried about which flu jab they got? Or questioned a doctor about which vaccine he was using for our children? I was glad to get a vaccine, it happened to be AZ.

Margiknot Wed 15-Sep-21 20:26:32

Might it be that it’s easier and less complicated to have different vaccine types for different uses? Scale one up for export to third world countries ( the one that travels best) and set up the domestic clinics with vaccine that need similar storage, transport and administration?

Margiknot Wed 15-Sep-21 20:28:20

I agree - I just get what I’m given when needed.

MaizieD Wed 15-Sep-21 20:42:14

There's a twitter thread here, looking at the comparative data, by an FT journalist who has been covering C19 from the start.

People might find it helpful. Or people might turn their noses up at it.. who knows...

twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1438100712441974786

Alegrias1 Wed 15-Sep-21 20:45:43

I'm actually defending the AZ vaccine if you actually read what I’ve been saying from the start. I just wanted to understand why they were giving people the Pfizer vaccine and not the AZ one. It only occurred to me later that maybe people were getting infected after having the AZ vaccine. I’m not speculating but asking if anyone has any facts and figures that I haven’t seen.

I wasn't getting at you, please don't think that MayBee70. But some people will read a comment like "people that are being infected are ones that had the AZ vaccine" and only half-read it, and that's how rumours start. And suddenly its all over Gransnet wink.

MayBee70 Wed 15-Sep-21 21:05:16

MayBee70

I’m just trying to get some understanding of the politics behind it all. I’d love to have a conversation with the people behind the AZ vaccine to see what they really think of the dominance of Pfizer.

I’m just going to bump this up to prove that I’m not knocking the AZ vaccine. I just want to understand the reasoning behind what seems to be the dominance of Pfizer. It’s not my fault if people only half read something and jump to conclusions.