Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Pfizer versus AZ Vaccine.

(119 Posts)
MayBee70 Wed 15-Sep-21 01:01:14

I’ve been pondering on this all night. Why is the Pfizer vaccine the one that is being widely used? It’s only a bit more effective that the AZ one and it is thought that the effectiveness of the AZ vaccine may actually improve over time. Both vaccines can have dangerous, albeit rare side effects, but it’s only the AZ one that gets lots of publicity. I thought that the whole point of the AZ vaccine being non profit making was so that the whole world could be vaccinated but that doesn’t seem to be happening. Is that why Sarah Gilbert is querying the fact that western countries are giving people booster jabs when so many people in poorer countries aren’t getting any. She’s probably thinking they might as well have made lots of money out of it which, knowing her, would have been put to good use. I just don’t understand what’s going on. Is there something I’m missing? Don’t get me wrong (and I’m being very two faced here) I’ll be first in the queue to get my booster when it’s offered as there’s no point me saying ‘give it someone the other side of the world’ as they wouldn’t be likely to get it anyway. I’m just a bit confused by it all.

BlueSky Wed 15-Sep-21 21:06:17

No the people I’ve heard of, who caught Covid after being double jabbed like me, were equally AZ/Pfizer. I’m grateful I was doubled jabbed, just puzzled it happened in the first place so soon, as we are retired, don’t mix socially and don’t have children/ grandchildren around.

MayBee70 Wed 15-Sep-21 21:11:40

Thanks again Blue Sky. I thought that would be the case. It is a worry given that we, like you, are still being very careful and intend to do so, at least until we get our boosters. I was hoping to relax a bit and see the grandchildren but that will have to be put on hold again.

Casdon Wed 15-Sep-21 21:13:50

I’ve had another thought. If the boosters are all Pfizer or Moderna, virtually all of them will need to be administered through mass vaccination centres, not through GP surgeries. That is one way of reducing the load on GP surgeries, many of which gave the AZ vaccine, and maximising throughout as the mass centres are more efficient.

MayBeMaw Wed 15-Sep-21 21:19:35

It is impossible to generalise Casdon , our local GP surgery did my Pfizer vaccination and all the people I know locally.

Casdon Wed 15-Sep-21 21:22:28

I believe the vast majority of Pfizer was given through mass vaccination centres though Maw, I know in my Health Board in Wales one GP practice did it out of 80ish. Maybe just a bad theory though!

maddyone Thu 16-Sep-21 00:03:22

I received the Pfizer vaccine at our local vaccination center. I saw on the news the other night (can’t remember which channel) that British people will be receiving either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine as a booster, but that a lot of AZ will be used abroad.
I do not understand why the leaders of some other countries, France, Germany, and Australia spring to mind, but I believe there were others, simply rubbished the AZ vaccine. No other vaccine has been targeted and criticised in the same way. There must be a reason but I have no idea what it could be. These are leaders of countries and Health Services who were playing with the lives of other people. Why?

vegansrock Thu 16-Sep-21 04:39:30

There was an early case of an 18 year old dying of a blood clot after the AZ vaccine in Italy ( they vaccinated by priority group eg health workers etc ) which caused a pause on the AZ vaccine there and the same in some other countries. Not reported much here unsurprisingly

rosie1959 Thu 16-Sep-21 08:30:13

In our area they are just starting flu jabs last year was the first time I had bothered to have one
We have had quite an outbreak of Covid in our town but the vaccine does seem to be doing its job those that I know about have had no symptoms or report they have had worse colds
I don’t particularly want a booster yet and presume won’t be offered until late this year I only had my second AZ in May but will take whatever is offered
Those infected that I know about are a mixture of AZ and Pfizer
Pity that they can’t get the 6 million or so that have refused the vaccination to take it up The city near to us has a low uptake and surprise surprise a high infection rate

BlueSky Thu 16-Sep-21 08:30:18

Yes Vegansrock there have been a few cases in Italy where tragically younger people died of blood clots. This dented the confidence in the AZ to the point where people fled the vaccination centres in terror when told they would receive the AZ.

MayBee70 Thu 16-Sep-21 09:36:23

Isn’t it usually young women that are at risk of blood clots and young men that are at risk of myocarditis (sp) with the Pfizer vaccine?

nanna8 Thu 16-Sep-21 09:53:27

MayBee70

Isn’t it usually young women that are at risk of blood clots and young men that are at risk of myocarditis (sp) with the Pfizer vaccine?

That’s what we have been told about az re blood clotting but they haven’t even mentioned the possible side affects of Pfizer. Curious. Perhaps the politicians have shares in Pfizer? Just an uncharitable thought.

maddyone Thu 16-Sep-21 10:08:30

It is curious nanna8 because all the vaccines have a tiny number people who have developed blood clots after receiving the vaccines. I understand that the numbers re AZ or Pfizer are similar.

Jonah Thu 16-Sep-21 10:40:48

I have just read on Mail Online News that an Israeli Study has found that the Pfizer booster vaccine stimulated a tenfold greater immune response than the 2nd Pfizer jab, just after one week of taking it. They are now checking how long the boost to immunity lasts.

Janetashbolt Thu 16-Sep-21 10:44:11

I had 2 Pfizer jabs, December and March, had hoped my booster would be AZ but it looks like all boosters are going to be Pfizer

Farmor15 Thu 16-Sep-21 10:48:51

MaizieD

There's a twitter thread here, looking at the comparative data, by an FT journalist who has been covering C19 from the start.

People might find it helpful. Or people might turn their noses up at it.. who knows...

twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1438100712441974786

That link from MaizieD was very interesting. It does seem that protection from Pfizer lasts longer. I've also heard that giving booster of a different vaccine gives better response than "more of the same"

maddyone Thu 16-Sep-21 10:49:29

I think some boosters will be Moderna too Janetashbolt. I saw about the study from Israel, and from their findings it doesn’t matter if it’s a third dose of Pfizer because it promotes ten times as many antibodies as two Pfizer doses. Good news.

Coco51 Thu 16-Sep-21 11:17:51

I think the reason for using different manufacurers’ jabs from the original vaccination is that there will be slight differences in immune responses, giving overall better protection

BlueSky Thu 16-Sep-21 11:19:27

The AZ was and is, my first choice (if we had a choice). I admit to feeling uneasy when the blood clots scare came out, but I believe that at my age, the chance of clots for any reason are much higher than the tiny risk of the vaccine. Anyway the Pfizer has a risk of anaphylactic shock, so we are between the devil and the deep blue sea!

deanswaydolly Thu 16-Sep-21 11:25:11

Had 2 doses of AZ. Experienced expected side effects. Have ME, fibro and digestive disorders. Not had flu jab for years as was really ill for 3 weeks after. Still working, worried about having a different one.Anyone else with other ailments offer advice?

maddyone Thu 16-Sep-21 11:27:00

I think all medicines, including vaccines, have a tiny risk of a reaction, which includes anaphylactic shock. That’s why there’s always at least one doctor at a vaccination centre, as I understand it, and it’s usually a GP, which is one small reason why it’s more difficult to book a GP appointment.
The risks of a vaccine are so much smaller than the risks of Covid. I’ll take my third vaccine, whichever one it is, when it’s offered. At my vaccination centre we all had to sit for 15 minutes after the vaccine.

icanhandthemback Thu 16-Sep-21 11:30:25

A lot of people in the older generations had AZ and mixing the vaccinations is thought to increase immunity. That is why the boosters won't be AZ for a lot of people.
Moderna and Pfizer used amongst the younger generations but they won't qualify for AZ because of the clotting issues. Interestingly, Moderna (and possibly Pfizer) can cause inflammation of the heart for younger males but this hasn't had the world wide headlines that the clotting had with AZ. Of course there is no reporting bias...!

maddyone Thu 16-Sep-21 11:39:07

I think there was a reporting bias icanhandthemback but I don’t know why.

cc Thu 16-Sep-21 11:39:46

Santana

In my area the Pfizer vaccine was available first, and only in places where it could be kept at the required extra low temperature. So vaccination hubs at hospitals and a couple of GP practices.
A few weeks later the large scale vaccination centres opened giving AZ. I could book mine there or wait for GP surgery . Nothing to do with age really, just if you were higher up the list you got the first one available.
Both equally as effective, and whole thing very well organised here. Elderly people at home were given AZ by a group of retired GPs in a charitable organisation approved by the NHS trust.

Yes, we both had the Pfizer vaccination because it was the first that was offered to us, so had it again for the second dose. Other local older people had the AZ at the same centre at another time, no particular reason.
I honestly wouldn't have minded which we had, was just so relieved to have been vaccinated.
I understand that the AZ is a different type of vaccine which can be modified by inserting a "string" of DNA to make it effective against variants or indeed other viruse. I'm guessing that this means that we'll probably all have some sort of AZ vaccine in the future.

Deedaa Thu 16-Sep-21 11:42:57

I'm 75 and had the Pfizer vaccine. Mine were done at my GP's surgery. Don't know yet what they'll be offering as a booster. I've only met one person who's had a bad reaction and it turns out that she has allergies which mean she shouldn't have any sort of vaccine.

Vaxxers by Sarah Gilbert and Catherine Green is a good read about the development of the AZ vaccine.

Alegrias1 Thu 16-Sep-21 11:47:27

but this hasn't had the world wide headlines that the clotting had with AZ.

US: www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-consent/?next_url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.washingtonpost.com%2fhealth%2f2021%2f08%2f19%2fmoderna-vaccine-myocarditis%2f

eu.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2021/09/15/myocarditis-and-covid-19-louisville-doctor-answers-questions/8264034002/

India: www.republicworld.com/world-news/us-news/pfizers-jab-puts-teenage-boys-at-risk-more-than-covid-due-to-side-effects-says-study.html

Canada: www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/should-my-child-get-their-second-vaccine-shot-despite-heart-inflammation-risks-1.5558712

France: www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210823-us-grants-pfizer-covid-vaccine-full-approval-triggering-new-mandates

That's pretty worldwide.