Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Should I still wear a mask?

(75 Posts)
growstuff Mon 20-Sep-21 19:33:07

covid.joinzoe.com/post/why-still-wear-masks-covid?fbclid=IwAR3BMyhLFa9Eg1OV5qUt27zoqAh8tTTKdNooZX-hum7lVGQcF_0UqFsejDU

I know quite a lot of people have been involved with giving data to ZOE and Tim Spector is generally considered to be well-balanced, so I thought this blog post was interesting. Personally, I don't disagree with any of it.

leeds22 Sat 02-Oct-21 14:41:56

I wear masks in shops, hairdressers, beauticians as do the people serving me. However, I noticed in Harrogate shops yesterday that mask wearing seems to be down to about 50%, spread pretty much across age groups, above teenagers. I know several over 70s who have had covid recently and really don't understand why people aren't protecting themselves and others; covid figures are high again in the north.

growstuff Sat 02-Oct-21 15:05:14

It's not just in the north. Case rates are high almost everywhere, except for the Orkney and Shetland Islands. I think Kettering still has the highest rate of new cases - 1 in a 100 people is currently infected.

Shandy57 Sat 02-Oct-21 15:14:48

I'm in Northumberland and the numbers in Alnwick, my main shopping town, are frightening as they are increasing each week. I wear my mask all the time now, although I do feel slightly strangled now I'm wearing a scarf as well smile

PinkCakes Sat 02-Oct-21 15:20:34

I've had Covid and Pneumonia, was on a ventilator for 2 weeks, in July. I seldom go anywhere now but I don't wear a mask.

rosie1959 Sat 02-Oct-21 15:24:49

I have noticed mask wearing varies we was in Bournemouth last weekend in a full hotel apart from staff I only saw a couple of people wearing them shops and public transport probably about 50/50 or less Went in to a large pub one lunchtime very full no masks at all
Could be handy to carry FFP2 masks as well as the normal variety if you have concerns because masks are disappearing

GagaJo Sat 02-Oct-21 15:38:11

MerylStreep

I forgot that last Saturday I went to a private clinic to have my ears cleaned. 2 nurses, I doctor and myself in a relatively small room. Not one mask being worn.

I was at a dermatology clinic a couple of weeks ago. I was wearing my usual FFP3 but was asked to take and wear a paper surgical mask! Which I complied with and put my FFP3 over the top.

I was very glad the hospital were taking VERY strict measures. Good for them.

LauraNorder Sat 02-Oct-21 15:46:01

My beautiful innocent 39 year old mum of two little ones daughter-in-law has breast cancer. The chemo destroys her immunity. I will wear a mask to keep her safe and to keep safe all the people around me who may be in the same boat.
It’s a tiny ask to keep us all safe.
Just like wearing a seatbelt, putting up a fire guard, wearing a life jacket at sea.
It can’t harm you to wear a mask but it can harm you and others if you don’t.
I agree with you Growstuff and also thought fleur20 added a good post.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Sat 02-Oct-21 16:12:10

I wear a mask when out. I also wear one if someone calls to the house i.e. had a physio visit and a man to microsuction my ears, because I was totally deaf.

lemsip Sat 02-Oct-21 16:26:35

I wear a mask and shall continue to do so for the foreseeable future......I shop in sainsburys and m&s and am pleased to see that the majority of shoppers are masked too.

Ethelwashere1 Sat 02-Oct-21 20:36:40

I wear mine always unlesd im meeting people outdoors. I simply dont want to be ill or pasd this virus on

ayse Sat 02-Oct-21 20:45:42

I wear a mask on public transport, collecting the grandchildren from school and shopping. I’ll be wearing one if I have a cough or a cold but I do need to make a couple of new ones.

GagaJo Sun 03-Oct-21 15:31:43

I took DGS to a gym play session today. Out of the 40 adults in the room (it is SUPPOSED to be no more than 30 according to their website) only 2 of us were wearing masks. None of the staff either.

No wonder the rate of covid is going up.

Lucca Sun 03-Oct-21 15:48:13

LauraNorder

My beautiful innocent 39 year old mum of two little ones daughter-in-law has breast cancer. The chemo destroys her immunity. I will wear a mask to keep her safe and to keep safe all the people around me who may be in the same boat.
It’s a tiny ask to keep us all safe.
Just like wearing a seatbelt, putting up a fire guard, wearing a life jacket at sea.
It can’t harm you to wear a mask but it can harm you and others if you don’t.
I agree with you Growstuff and also thought fleur20 added a good post.

Hear hear. It’s such a small ask.

Kim19 Sun 03-Oct-21 16:09:49

I assess the situation and act accordingly but always comply when asked to except in restaurants where I no longer don a mask for a toilet trip.

M0nica Sun 03-Oct-21 19:22:04

If somewhere is crowded, or on public transport, or if someone asks, I wear a mask. Otherwise not.

mokryna Sun 03-Oct-21 19:48:17

Where I live the majority of people over 12 wear masks in the street and everywhere which is enclosed is a must but not while eating or doing exercise. Okay, you can split hairs over this but it’s s for social safety so why not? You can catch covid twice.

However, some areas where the infection rate is low (not the Paris area) primary children don’t have to in school.

Flu injections are available at the end of the month and third covid ones are coming up.

Lincslass Sun 03-Oct-21 20:02:38

Had my flu vaccine at GP surgery, all staff, and those attending wore a mask. Out in the shops though, about 25% wearing masks. Our rate is also rising, social distancing also not being observed. Two little things that may help stop spread, people seem to think it doesn’t matter anymore.

FarNorth Sun 03-Oct-21 20:09:12

Better ventilation of indoor spaces would help.
No-one seems to bother with this.

growstuff Sun 03-Oct-21 20:27:45

FarNorth

Better ventilation of indoor spaces would help.
No-one seems to bother with this.

I agree with you - especially in schools.

Lynn1959 Fri 08-Oct-21 08:48:49

I was enraged two days ago. Did anyone see a single face mask at the Conservative Party Conference- I didn’t. I was just reminded of this listening to a public information broadcast on the radio advising us to wear face masks in crowded places !

henetha Fri 08-Oct-21 10:05:45

I wore a mask when I went in Tesco's this week, and was pleased to see that many other people were wearing them too.
And if I go on a bus (which I'm planning to do soon) I shall definitely wear one.

nanna8 Tue 12-Oct-21 00:58:51

We still have to wear them indoors and out and we are still in hard lockdown . I noticed Sydney residents, who have been released from lockdown, still wear masks. I would be glad if it stopped outdoors now the warmer weather is coming but indoors I think they are necessary and it is silly to be blasé about it.

Katie59 Tue 12-Oct-21 10:37:10

There are a lo5 of Covid infections amongst vaccinated people in the UK so definitely wear a mask indoors

PollyTickle Tue 12-Oct-21 11:10:19

Why not wear a mask, can’t do any harm but can do some good.
I’ll be wearing one in indoor public spaces for the foreseeable future.
Hands, face, space. I’m sticking to that.