Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Why are there around thirty thousand new COVID-19 cases reported every day in the UK?

(149 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Wed 22-Sep-21 16:31:43

I may be missing something that is well-known to others or perhaps seen as obvious, but I am genuinely puzzled as to why, with the pandemic having been a top public concern for 18 months now, there are around thirty thousand new cases being reported every day in the UK.

Is there an answer?

Mamie Thu 23-Sep-21 09:58:20

I don't really understand what you are saying Ug. Is it that Spain and France have a secret, entirely asymptomatic epidemic where hospitalisations and death rates are lower than the UK? That would be weird.

Chestnut Thu 23-Sep-21 10:02:17

GrannyGravy13

Being vaccinated does not stop you getting Covid-19.

Being vaccinated means that your symptoms will be mild or none at all, you are less likely to be hospitalised or die.

Being vaccinated does not mean that you are unable to pass on Covid-19.

What I would like to know is how many of those hospitalised or dying are double vaccinated.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 23-Sep-21 10:03:13

MaizieD I watched an interview on BBC news with a Professor who is on SAGE, just after JCVI announced that they didn’t have conclusive evidence to support the vaccination of under 16’s.

He’s reasoning has stayed with me, basically he said are we as a nation vaccinating under 16’s in order to protect others and keep schools open or are we vaccinating them to protect themselves.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 23-Sep-21 10:05:55

Double vaccinated make up 1.2% of the 51,281 deaths Jan - July 2021 according to the ONS

Alegrias1 Thu 23-Sep-21 10:06:37

What I would like to know is how many of those hospitalised or dying are double vaccinated.

All the figures you could ever hope for. For Scotland at least. I expect England and the rest of the world is similar, proportionally.

Please read everything he writes, its not intuitive.

www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/vaccine

Casdon Thu 23-Sep-21 10:09:06

A higher percentage of the total population of Wales where I am has been vaccinated than in France Mamie, it varies across the UK nations. The problem is that unless the whole adult population is vaccinated we will continue to get infection peaks. It’s exacerbated in the UK at the moment as only over 16s have been vaccinated - but as France has a lower percentage of older adults vaccinated than the UK the problem will inevitably surface there again too.

Zoejory Thu 23-Sep-21 10:10:26

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58545548

Among those who died after two doses, 13% were immunocompromised, 61% were male and more than 75% were clinically extremely vulnerable.

Mamie Thu 23-Sep-21 10:13:30

I think GG13 that "keeping schools open" would have been better expressed by the Professor as "protecting educational opportunity". As a local authority inspector of schools I was involved in large-scale research about progress and attainment. We were all surprised at how attendance was massively more important than any other single factor.
In that context I think the balance weighs much more towards vaccination.

Mamie Thu 23-Sep-21 10:20:17

Yes there is a lot of focus on those 10% of over eighties Casdon. The major issue seems to be that they mostly live in extremely remote areas. The fire brigade and the district nurses are doing their best, but the pass sanitaire doesn't help persuade you if you never go out.
The care homes are done and you can't work there without full vaccination.

Nezumi65 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:33:10

I know loads of people who have had covid after 2 vaccinations.

Also the 5 million unvaccinated doesn't include children and it is currently rampaging through schools. Not helped by the fact that household contacts don't have to self isolate - in fact if parents try and self isolate their kids who have been in contact with positive cases they are marked as an unauthorised absence and threatened with fines.

My middle son is currently unvaccinated because he had covid just as his age group was called. He has been ill repeatedly since so hasn't been for the jab, but I suspect his immunity is currently better than my vaccinated immunity.

My eldest is severely disabled but has been unable to be vaccinated so this pursuit of herd immunity is a concern in his case.

Nezumi65 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:34:13

16-17 years and 9 months only get one dose.

JaneJudge Thu 23-Sep-21 11:37:09

Can I just make a point re vaccination for 12-15 year olds next week. I have had to fill in an online consent form for my 15 year old but it is up to him to give consent next week. If he refuses they wont give it him, so there is no forcing going on.

The new LFT tests we have seem much better too than the ones we were given previously.

Mariew1 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:43:45

Actually we are getting up to 200 deaths per day.

Witzend Thu 23-Sep-21 11:45:09

Urmstongran

I think it’s huge numbers who are tested in the UK. People who aren’t even poorly can test positive.

Friends who live out here in Spain are amazed at all the testing that goes on in the UK.

‘Test and ye shall find’ I think. Maybe here, not so much and ignorance is (relative) bliss.

I know personally two elderly, already unwell people who caught it in hospital (one was in France) but had no symptoms at all.

OTOH two 60+ male sibling neighbours of ours, plus another sibling living elsewhere, all contracted COVID within a few days of each other, were all very ill and in hospital for 2-3 weeks each.

None of them had been vaccinated, because they ‘weren’t sure’.
Hospital staff must surely get utterly fed up with having to care for such cases.

Josianne Thu 23-Sep-21 11:46:12

JaneJudge

Can I just make a point re vaccination for 12-15 year olds next week. I have had to fill in an online consent form for my 15 year old but it is up to him to give consent next week. If he refuses they wont give it him, so there is no forcing going on.

The new LFT tests we have seem much better too than the ones we were given previously.

I think that sounds fair where 12 - 15 year olds are concerned. A good move to let them have the final say.

Alegrias1 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:48:01

Mariew1

Actually we are getting up to 200 deaths per day.

Nope.

120 - 130 and falling.

Paperbackwriter Thu 23-Sep-21 11:51:48

Many seem to have given up on masks and distancing so no wonder it's still spreading. As 6 of us were leaving a restaurant last night, wearing masks, some younger ones were coming in with not a mask between them in spite of a notice on the door asking customers to wear them and the staff all being masked. One of them said to another, "Oh look at them, all masked up." Another one said, "Yeah but they're old." Talk about idiots not getting the point.

WoodLane7 Thu 23-Sep-21 11:57:42

"I think it’s down to a government that’s hoping to achieve herd immunity (that isn’t going to happen). "
I thought I heard on the news a few weeks ago that herd immunity had officially been reached? not that it seems to have done us a fat lot of good if it has.....

pooohbear2811 Thu 23-Sep-21 12:04:32

round here it is sweeping through the primary schools. My three grandchildren have just had it, a 5 yr old and twin 7 yr olds. The nursery is also rife with it as well. None of them seems to be particularly ill with it and DD1 only got them tested as track and trace contacted them and they had to have negative tests before they can return to school and so they were picked up that way.

Whatdayisit Thu 23-Sep-21 12:06:27

What I am going to say will sound controversial, selfish or reckless.
I had Covid in April 2020 and didn't get any sick pay from work and they made me have 4 weeks off. I am partly self employed so lost some income from lockdown too.
This year in the height of the pingdemic I had to isolate so once again lost a big chunk of my monthly income fortunately I didn't have covid and didn't have to have 10 days off.
But work said I wasn't entitled to sick pay.
So I'm thinking now, that my next part of living with covid, will be to stop testing and just go to work if it's a cough or cold. Obviously this may not be possible - it wouldn't have been when I had it before but now I am doubly vaccinated and all I am in contact with at work are doubly vaccinated.
How many financial hits can we carry on taking?
I'm not talking about going to the pub or theatre with covid I am talking about not losing an income which quite frankly I cannot afford any longer my savings have gone.
And before people say I should have got ssp it was the council who declared they weren't paying it.
And obviously I haven't done this yet I am just so cross that restrictions like mask wearing seemed to get stopped quite abruptly for the economy to open up. But what about the personal economy?

rosie1959 Thu 23-Sep-21 12:19:27

Paperbackwriter

Many seem to have given up on masks and distancing so no wonder it's still spreading. As 6 of us were leaving a restaurant last night, wearing masks, some younger ones were coming in with not a mask between them in spite of a notice on the door asking customers to wear them and the staff all being masked. One of them said to another, "Oh look at them, all masked up." Another one said, "Yeah but they're old." Talk about idiots not getting the point.

I am old but don’t bother with wearing a mask to enter a restaurant. Can see little point as you obviously remove it when seated does the virus disappear whilst seated

chrissy08 Thu 23-Sep-21 12:29:38

I agree, let’s accept to live with it & get on with living our lives now. Lockdowns are very destructive & don’t work.
A death from Covid is very rare & hospital figures were grossly exaggerated eg; (had a car crash & died) cause of death = Covid ?‍♀️

Whatdayisit Thu 23-Sep-21 12:35:27

Before the mask wearing became compulsory last year it was suggested that pulling masks on and off would release the virus spores. I don't see the point in wearing them to be seated then taking them off at the table.

Edith81 Thu 23-Sep-21 12:48:39

Do you really believe these figures are true?? What happened to flu?? Not one person seems to have been admitted at died in hospital with the flu, in fact , it seems to have been eradicated altogether.

Alegrias1 Thu 23-Sep-21 12:53:36

Its like a stuck record.

www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/deathsfrominfluenzaandcovid19in2020and2021

Extract attached. Not that I expect the provision of facts will make any difference at all to the conspiracy theorists.