Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Flights stopped in and out of Morocco

(11 Posts)
Blondie49 Fri 22-Oct-21 13:42:07

Has anyone wondered why this news that happened on the 20th, came once on the bbc news then disappeared into thin air? Am I probably being cynical that it just affects the Scottish half term ? Normally it’s high profile with tv coverage of folk scrambling for flights etc etc as it has been a couple of times over summer !!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Oct-21 14:05:18

Not just Scotland, England schools finish today.

Jaxjacky Fri 22-Oct-21 14:06:31

It comes into force at 23:59 next Wednesday, most English schools have half term next week, I’m not sure when half term is in Scotland. So, it doesn’t just affect the Scots.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 22-Oct-21 14:07:02

Maybe a lot of people decided that going abroad for the October break wasn't worth the risk as this has happened to so many during the summer. A lot of the Scottish schools went back at the start of this week, so maybe those families had already come back, and I don't think the English schools are off yet, are they?

Cynical? Why ever would we be cynical about this sort of thing? grin

Jaxjacky Fri 22-Oct-21 14:17:18

Live on Sky news

Welshwife Fri 22-Oct-21 14:39:33

I saw a report that Morocco had banned flights from U.K. because of the number of Covid cases. The article went on to say that they must think it is very serious in U.K. as the country relies on tourists and many are from Britain.

Blondie49 Fri 22-Oct-21 14:58:00

Jaxjacky came into force midnight Wednesday 20th. All Edinburgh and think Fife are on half term , England next week. It just seemed funny that only came on bbc news feed and never saw mentioned on tv news at all , as the summer ones, Spain etc were all over the news with pictures!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Oct-21 15:09:08

Blondie49

Jaxjacky came into force midnight Wednesday 20th. All Edinburgh and think Fife are on half term , England next week. It just seemed funny that only came on bbc news feed and never saw mentioned on tv news at all , as the summer ones, Spain etc were all over the news with pictures!

It was on the BBC 10 pm news Wednesday night and again on ITV breakfast news (GMB) Thursday am.

Callistemon Fri 22-Oct-21 15:40:24

Wales are on half term next week.

Morocco banned flights from the UK, not vice versa.
It is not surprising under the circumstances

Blossoming Fri 22-Oct-21 15:51:09

I read that tourists in Morocco have had their flights home to the UK cancelled, as there are no incoming flights from the UK, so no turnaround. I hope people manage to reach home safely. I’m not surprised about the ban in view of the latest figures.

Jaxjacky Fri 22-Oct-21 15:55:32

Apologies Blondie49, got my Wednesdays wrong.