Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

COVID cases on the brink of breaking 100k a day (Zoe Covid Study)

(387 Posts)
PippaZ Fri 29-Oct-21 13:01:30

With the Government refusing to implement a plan this weeks video gives us what we can do for ourselves.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc7A1bVuSJU

PippaZ Sat 06-Nov-21 09:33:07

The USA has approved the Pfizer vaccine for children over 5 although they are not vaccinating them currently.

Josianne Sat 06-Nov-21 09:16:47

growstuff

www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/covid-19-vaccine-rates-kids-slow-worrying-doctors-rcna3804

Although there are regional disparities, far more American children have already been vaccinated.

Interesting, thank you.

growstuff Sat 06-Nov-21 08:58:12

www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/covid-19-vaccine-rates-kids-slow-worrying-doctors-rcna3804

Although there are regional disparities, far more American children have already been vaccinated.

growstuff Sat 06-Nov-21 08:56:49

It's 12 (same as UK), but they started vaccinating sooner.

Josianne Sat 06-Nov-21 08:38:55

Good point Daisymae.
What ages in children are they vaccinating in the states now? I'm guessing if so many of their kids are falling sick they will need to start vaccinating at an earlier age.

Daisymae Sat 06-Nov-21 08:23:44

With regards to the higher incidence of hospitalisation of children in America, a children's doctor mentioned in a letter to the Times last week that adolescents in this county are not given anti virals unless they are at deaths door while in the States them are given as a matter of course. I imagine that you would need to be hospitalised to access them, so maybe we are not admitting as many?

Josianne Sat 06-Nov-21 08:22:47

Jaxjacky

CvD66 Macron is also concerned, he will be speaking on
Tuesday.
www.france24.com/en/europe/20211105-macron-to-address-the-nation-on-tuesday-as-covid-19-cases-surge

That's interesting, thank you. Especially as France has implemented so may rules and restrictions.
I think Macron is more worried about getting the economy sorted now, so he could concentrate on this issue in his speech. He is a forceful orator and hasn't addressed the nation for a while.

Daisymae Sat 06-Nov-21 08:19:16

I can't help wondering if the current reduction in infections is due to the effects of half term. We all are aware of the delay between actions and the stats. I'm guessing that the picture will be clearer in a week or so.

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Nov-21 07:56:29

CvD66 Macron is also concerned, he will be speaking on
Tuesday.
www.france24.com/en/europe/20211105-macron-to-address-the-nation-on-tuesday-as-covid-19-cases-surge

Josianne Sat 06-Nov-21 07:51:05

growstuff

Calistemon

About a third of children in Year 6 are overweight or obese.

I can think of only one in DGC's school but the child is quite sporty too.
It must be regional as you say.

You can check the rate for your constituency here:

obesityhealthalliance.org.uk/data-map/

The average for England and Scotland is 22.4%
Wales 26.4%

That map pretty much says is all. My DGS are skinny rakes and live in Devon, one of the lowest areas for child obesity. But then they were healthy skinny rakes when in their London constituency too where they led a completely different lifestyle, so the American incidences of 4 times the number of kids in hospital with th coronavirus is still puzzling. Interesting to discuss, but maybe not for this thread.

growstuff Sat 06-Nov-21 07:37:53

Yes, there's a valley shape and, hopefully, deaths won't reach the heights of the two previous peaks, as a result of vaccinations.

This graph shows UK deaths. There are more details here:

coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

You can see the slight increase. You can also see how previous peaks have started. We don't have crystal balls, so we don't know what will happen. Hopefully, vaccinations will keep the increase down, but it still shows that rates haven't decreased, which is what we need.

growstuff Sat 06-Nov-21 07:35:57

Eh? GN just posted the wrong message. What's going on?

growstuff Sat 06-Nov-21 07:22:33

Calistemon

^About a third of children in Year 6 are overweight or obese^.

You can check the rate for your constituency here:

obesityhealthalliance.org.uk/data-map/

The average for England and Scotland is 22.4%
Wales 26.4%

Cunco Fri 05-Nov-21 22:28:04

Growstuff: If you just look at the last few weeks, I agree the trend is upwards but if you look at the longer series I presented, there was a valley shape. The last item was still lower than the first.

We can agree that the next few weeks of my series will probably be upwards although this may be short-lived and hopefully not the bleak outlook suggested by Sage in mid September.

Alegrias1 Fri 05-Nov-21 20:48:37

Fifty-something countries in Europe.

www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/health-emergencies/coronavirus-covid-19/country-information

Casdon Fri 05-Nov-21 20:43:53

Just to clarify, the WHO report includes the UK, it’s not the EU they are talking about?

CvD66 Fri 05-Nov-21 20:34:33

Urmstongran I watch your posts with fascination. You seem so keen to highlight any deficit in Europe yet seem blinded to UK struggles. Can I draw your attention to UK daily cases and death numbers as reported via Worldometer. The UK has failed to reduce it case numbers below 25.000 since 7th July actually. Deaths run at 1000 or thereabouts each week. Yet Europe and in particular France, Spain, Italy and Germany have have cases consistently below10,000 until now. So please before you jump on the Europe bashing bandwagon, consider the facts. The UK has a lot to explain with its high Covid numbers for months!

Calistemon Fri 05-Nov-21 20:26:06

MayBee70 Fri 05-Nov-21 20:21:29

Seems strange to think that, a few months ago, we were celebrating the fact that there were no deaths one day…..

growstuff Fri 05-Nov-21 20:12:25

Calistemon

Oh dear.

I didn't realise that. I know very few obese children, perhaps one or two in DGC's primary school, certainly not the norm.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/childhood-obesity-applying-all-our-health/childhood-obesity-applying-all-our-health

There's a very strong correlation between obesity and deprivation. There are regional differences.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Nov-21 20:11:17

Covid cases in the UK have peaked for 2021, real-world data from King's College London (KCL) suggests.

Researchers behind the Zoe Covid Study from KCL said there are currently 88,592 new daily symptomatic cases of Covid in the UK on average, according to test data from up to five days ago – down 4.7 per cent from the previous week.

But the World Health Organisation warned that, despite the positive data, Europe is on track to see 450,000 deaths by February as it again becomes the epicentre of the pandemic.

Countries including Germany, Croatia, Russia and Slovenia have reported record numbers of new cases, while hospitals in Romania and Belarus are on the brink of collapse amid a surge in new Covid admissions.

growstuff Fri 05-Nov-21 20:08:56

Cunco My figures are from Public Health England (or whatever it's called these days). They're deaths within 28 days of a positive test by reporting date and are updated daily. On average, they're usually slightly lower than ONS figures, which don't have the 28 day cut off. If you look at a graph over the last three or four weeks, there's a definite upward trajectory. It's not that steep, but it's consistent.

Cases are decreasing, but deaths are increasing. That's expected because there's a gap between the reporting of cases and deaths. Hopefully, the decrease in cases will be reflected in a decrease in deaths soon. However, the number of cases has increased in some of the older age groups over the last couple of weeks. As we know, older people are more likely to die.

Calistemon Fri 05-Nov-21 20:08:23

Oh dear.

I didn't realise that. I know very few obese children, perhaps one or two in DGC's primary school, certainly not the norm.

growstuff Fri 05-Nov-21 19:58:44

Calistemon

Josianne

I can't remember where I heard it, (I am away on holiday this week), but apparently 4 times as many American school aged children are being hospitalized with covid as UK children.
Why?

I will whisper this quietly but could it be related to diet and obesity?

Probably not. British children are just as obese as American ones.

www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/obesityandtheeconomicsofpreventionfitnotfat-unitedkingdomenglandkeyfacts.htm

Casdon Fri 05-Nov-21 19:50:50

Or a lower threshold for hospital admission linked to the fact that it’s paid for by the user? I may just be cynical.