Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Over 46,000 new cases today?

(5 Posts)
Daisymae Thu 18-Nov-21 18:00:55

Just heard this on the news and its no surprise. I had been hoping that the last days when it looked liked there might be a drop were the sign of better things. I don't get out and about a great deal but yesterday went to a farm shop that has a cafe etc. I turned out to be the only person wearing a mask, which made me feel very uncomfortable. I'm sick of it, as I'm sure just about everyone is but until there's some realisation that Covid has not gone away there's little prospect of any improvement in data the near future. I know that cases are not everything but they are a good indication of the prevalence of the infection and the chance of coming into contact which has greater implications for some.

GagaJo Thu 18-Nov-21 18:21:54

Yup DM, I went into a big supermarket this afternoon with my DGS. He and I had masks on (he is 3 and wears one with no problem). We were about the only ones. AND I got some strange looks (FFP3 mask).

Mattsmum2 Thu 18-Nov-21 18:31:40

I travelled on the London Underground twice recently where face coverings are mandatory. Depending on the time of day I travelled it was either half or a third were wearing face coverings. How it can be policed I don’t have a clue. I wore a face mask. At Twickenham for rugby you had to have a covid pass to be checked randomly. I didn’t get checked and I didn’t see any evidence of people being randomly checked.
We need to get the basics right and enforce them, Austria?

MayBee70 Thu 18-Nov-21 18:32:10

I went into the village post office the other day: only time I ever go there is if I have to send a letter by registered mail so it’s months since I’ve been there. I was the only person wearing a mask and yet some people were much older than me. I did notice that a lot of people were wearing masks on a bus that just went past. I do feel very self conscious wearing a mask. Given that covid looks as if it’s going to be with us for quite a while I don’t understand why we haven’t embraced mask wearing as a cultural thing.

rosie1959 Thu 18-Nov-21 18:40:10

Mattsmum2

I travelled on the London Underground twice recently where face coverings are mandatory. Depending on the time of day I travelled it was either half or a third were wearing face coverings. How it can be policed I don’t have a clue. I wore a face mask. At Twickenham for rugby you had to have a covid pass to be checked randomly. I didn’t get checked and I didn’t see any evidence of people being randomly checked.
We need to get the basics right and enforce them, Austria?

Austria haven't stopped wearing masks and I believe not the simple surgical masks that we wear but FFP2 masks but still their rates rise
But we really don't want to go down the route they have chosen I can't imagine it being accepted here anyway